• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Question about basking location

Sleeepy_Sn0rlax

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello, Fairly new to a bearded dragon, got her this week, planning on new enclosure probably next weekend, but for the time being, i have that 75w Inferred basking bulb....seems to be a tad warm, my thermometer that isnt even directly under the spot is at about 110F, so imaginable that directly on it could potentially be much hotter, that rock was a tad bit hot too the touch, think maybe i should tone it down to a 50W? and would that help with any heat issues.

Attachments

• 454BE022-011A-4561-9AB3-BE63F9BD8B24.jpeg
    454BE022-011A-4561-9AB3-BE63F9BD8B24.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 54

Sean o^o

Hatchling Dragon
110 is fine, but you should tone it down a bit to somewhere around 95 when it turns into a full adult. please take your beardie off the sand. It can cause impaction which can kill your beardie. please.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello, Fairly new to a bearded dragon, got her this week, planning on new enclosure probably next weekend, but for the time being, i have that 75w Inferred basking bulb....seems to be a tad warm, my thermometer that isnt even directly under the spot is at about 110F, so imaginable that directly on it could potentially be much hotter, that rock was a tad bit hot too the touch, think maybe i should tone it down to a 50W? and would that help with any heat issues.
The temp isn't too bad, however if you are only measuring with the stick on the glass deals they really only measure the glass.. So I would get an IR temp gun as that will be way more accurate and you can pinpoint the temps..
If you take a look at the links below several of our comments we have put together a ton of information for new comers and should help with many questions. Loose substrate is difficult to keep clean as you can never remove all of their urates when they poop. so you leave bacteria behind.

So really getting an accurate means to temp the basking area, and knowing that most of us have a shelf of bulbs for different seasons and what they prefer.

Latest posts