• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Quantity of silkworms?

Bluesky1019

Juvenile Dragon
This might be a very stupid question but I was looking at silkworms and I notice they only had the options 10, 15 or 20? I am a little bit confused becuase my bearded dragon will eat all of that in a matter of minutes. Do you just give them one or two and that provides a lot of food or do you breed them? Again, sorry if this is a stupid question

Beardomania

Juvenile Dragon
This might be a very stupid question but I was looking at silkworms and I notice they only had the options 10, 15 or 20? I am a little bit confused becuase my bearded dragon will eat all of that in a matter of minutes. Do you just give them one or two and that provides a lot of food or do you breed them? Again, sorry if this is a stupid question
Silkworms are an expensive feeder. If you buy them small and feed them, then it's exactly as crazy expensive as it sounds. Your beardie would be eating $10+ meals.

The better way is to rear them to full size (about the size of a finger) and only feed 1 or 2 a day to an adult. Problem is, that's expensive too cus silkworm chow is expensive.

Best way is to wait for the summer, buy an egg kit (I think years ago, I got a little bit of chow and 250 eggs in a petri dish for something like $10 shipped) and rear them to size with mulberry/bramble leaves you harvest. That said, the best way is still not a great way because you will be harvesting a lot of leaves and you should wash them if there is any chance at all they contain pesticides. You will also be constantly laying out leaves for them to eat cus they eat fast. And, all of them mature together so you'll be working like that for a few weeks and suddenly have a ton of large worms to feed and they don't last very long before they pupate. And on a personal note, it's a little sad for me cus silkworms are nice, soft, chubby and cute-looking and when I raise them from the size of half a grain of rice to the size of an index finger, watching them grow everyday in a very involved process, it makes me kinda sad to watch them killed.

In general, I did this a few years ago and it's just not worth it. I don't feed silkworms anymore.

Bluesky1019

Juvenile Dragon
Silkworms are an expensive feeder. If you buy them small and feed them, then it's exactly as crazy expensive as it sounds. Your beardie would be eating $10+ meals.

The better way is to rear them to full size (about the size of a finger) and only feed 1 or 2 a day to an adult. Problem is, that's expensive too cus silkworm chow is expensive.

Best way is to wait for the summer, buy an egg kit (I think years ago, I got a little bit of chow and 250 eggs in a petri dish for something like $10 shipped) and rear them to size with mulberry/bramble leaves you harvest. That said, the best way is still not a great way because you will be harvesting a lot of leaves and you should wash them if there is any chance at all they contain pesticides. And, all of them mature together so you'll be working like that for a few weeks and suddenly have a ton of large worms to feed and they don't last very long before they pupate.

In general, I did this a few years ago and it's just not worth it. I don't feed silkworms anymore.
Oh wow that’s a lot of work! Do you recommend any other kind of bugs for young Beardies besides dubia,BSFL and crickets (I am trying all of these now)

Beardomania

Juvenile Dragon
Oh wow that’s a lot of work! Do you recommend any other kind of bugs for young Beardies besides dubia,BSFL and crickets (I am trying all of these now)
If you got all of them, you've definitely got your bases covered. Are these feeders not working for you? What are you looking to do?

Bluesky1019

Juvenile Dragon
If you got all of them, you've definitely got your bases covered. Are these feeders not working for you? What are you looking to do?
Right now my Beardie isn’t eating his crickets and he doesn’t seem to like Phoenix worms so I am waiting for my dubia to ship. But that means he ONLY eats dubia which I have a feeling he will get sick of

Beardomania

Juvenile Dragon
Right now my Beardie isn’t eating his crickets and he doesn’t seem to like Phoenix worms so I am waiting for my dubia to ship. But that means he ONLY eats dubia which I have a feeling he will get sick of
How big is he?

Beardies shouldn't get sick of dubia and they're supposed to love BSFL as well. Something I like to feed are freshly emerged superworm beetles while their wings are still soft and white/tan. They are my beardie's favorite food. I wrote about that here:

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Silk worms are quite expensive , i do buy horn worms about 2 times a month from Here, let them eat the food to the desired size, they get big fast so id order the smallest amount and see how your beardie likes em, my girl will claw her way up and out of her tank after one if I tease her , they do nip so watch during feeding time so it goes safely, they dont bite any harder than super worms so it should be fine, ive been bitten by both :/ so ....