• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Prospective Beardie Owner

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am not either, I am expecting and only 8 weeks and waiting until 20 weeks to find out if it is a boy or girl is killing me.

srabeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Welcome! My love for lizards started in Belize and Africa-since I could not get one through customs (just kidding) I had to buy one here! Good luck to you and welcome again 8)

Rolandslf

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Some additional news. I just got a call from the same woman informing me that her other female Beardie is busy digging to lay eggs, and that I must get ready to fetch them when she calls.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Guess whos got a new addiction . . . even if not intended LOL

I was at the pet store where I used to buy crickets from today to get P a new UV. Their babies had just started hatching, and Mariaan (the sales lady) took me to the back and we watched them hatch. It was amazing. They are soooooo TINY

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Rolandslf said:
Some additional news. I just got a call from the same woman informing me that her other female Beardie is busy digging to lay eggs, and that I must get ready to fetch them when she calls.

This will either become an adventure or a monster headache for you. Now that she knows she has a solution to her problem, she may never separate them. It's possible the females could continue to lay eggs every five to six weeks. At 20 to 30 eggs at a time, that'll add up REALLY fast. You may need to put your foot down with her at some point. LOL!

Rolandslf

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Craiger, you are so right. One major problem though, I am just such a big softie, especially when it comes to the female gender.
I suppose though, that once one gets to the stage of being fed up with it all, you can harden your heart.

Monique, I cannot wait to witness my lot hatching.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I can certainly understand, Roland. Just know your own boundaries....and don't let yourself get in over your head. Trust me, that can happen fast with beardies. With the fact that one baby beardie can eat upwards of 150 or more pinhead crickets a day, cost will become a factor. That, and the fact that you'll need separate bins for when they reach a certain point in age. There are ways around this, though, but cost can still become a factor.

One tip for separating them....get yourself some plastic tubs, some clip-on dome light fixtures and some cheap four foot flourescent light fixtures (shop lights work great). The shop light can span two tubs. The dome fixtures can be attached to the sides of the tubs....and regular household bulbs (incandescent or halogen) can be used for heat. Of course, you are probably already well aware of tricks like this knowing you have so many snakes. But still, good to know in case you don't.

Rocks make excellent basking surfaces. The thicker, the better as they tend to hold heat better and longer.

Brian/Gina/Tom...and anybody else who breeds or has bred that I've forgotten. How do you feed so many hungry mouths everyday for no less than 8 weeks? This is the ONE reason I've never wanted to get into breeding myself.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Brian/Gina/Tom...and anybody else who breeds or has bred that I've forgotten. How do you feed so many hungry mouths everyday for no less than 8 weeks? This is the ONE reason I've never wanted to get into breeding myself.

Its a special kind of person who can do this. This I really beleive.
*Applauds all brave enough to be a Beardie breeder*

Rolandslf

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Craiger, Thanks a stack for the advice, it has been noted. I think you guys are in a very short while going to become very frustrated, when I start with the pm's asking advice.

In effect a whole new chapter in my life with reptiles is opening. So much so that on Saturday, I was at a local Reptile Shop, and I am now also going to acquire an adult pair of Ackie Monitors.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey, Roland. Sorry I didn't get back to you 'til now. I was out most of the weekend.

Don't ever apologize for the questions. We don't mind. It's the only way we learn. I'm not experienced in the breeding aspect of beardies, but I do have a pretty good understanding of most anything else to do with them. So I'll help when I can.

Nght_RideA

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Roland were about in durban are you ?

Im busy building a viv and trying to find a beardie ! you have a little guy you looking to sell/get rid of ?

Latest posts