• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Proper UVB application

Mushu329

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello! I'm very new to the beardie way of life, and despite my research efforts, I still have a lot of questions. I purchased the "All Things Living" 40 gallon bearded dragon kit from Petsmart and it came with a 26W UVB high-output bulb and 100 watt basking bulb (see long link below). The tank is 36" long so I believe I actually need a 22" T5 HO 10.0 fluorescent bulb (to achieve 2/3 coverage as I've read) and I'm not sure if 100W is appropriate for my basking situation. I seem to only be getting 90 degrees at the basking point (using a laser thermometer). My beardie is a baby so I know it should be 100-107. Any suggestions there? I have also posted a pic of my setup and would love your expert feedback. My beardie hasn't eaten much since I bought him/her yesterday...2 crickets, and 4 nymph roaches. He/she sleeps most of the time and I'm not sure if that's normal. Thanks for the advice in advance!

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...LnACh0LyQEPEAQYASABEgI_tPD_BwE&utm_medium=cpc

Attachments

• beardie.jpg
    beardie.jpg
    356.9 KB · Views: 108
  • beardie 1.jpg
    beardie 1.jpg
    328.5 KB · Views: 113

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
you would indeed need the 22” t5 HO UVB. (must be replaced every 6 months, its a bigger investment at the start but its better for them) for basking id get an exoterra 100watt or 110watt intense basking spot bulb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
other than that your setup looks good, you might want to put another thermometer on the cooler (dark) side and i cant tell if thats a hygrometer or not but you should have one of those aswell.

Mushu329

Bearded Dragon Egg
Awesome! Thanks for the quick reply. The thermometer also has a hygrometer to evaluate the humidity, but it's great advice to monitor the temp/humidity on the other side as well. So it's normal then for him/her to sleep basically the entire last 1.5 days, only eating minimally? I'm sure he/she is just adjusting but I know babies should be going on eating frenzies a couple times per day at least and that's not happening here. Thanks again!

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
Awesome! Thanks for the quick reply. The thermometer also has a hygrometer to evaluate the humidity, but it's great advice to monitor the temp/humidity on the other side as well. So it's normal then for him/her to sleep basically the entire last 1.5 days, only eating minimally? I'm sure he/she is just adjusting but I know babies should be going on eating frenzies a couple times per day at least and that's not happening here. Thanks again!
truthfully im not sure, i havent had to deal with a really small baby like that. when i got mine he was about an inch or two bigger, he ate immediately. my guess is that it might be too cool for him/her. are they showing darker colors?

Mushu329

Bearded Dragon Egg
No, he isn't showing darker colors and I'm honestly not convinced my laser thermometer is 100% accurate showing only 90 degrees. I purchased him at Petsmart just yesterday. I bathed him twice so far to ensure hydration and he sipped the bathing water as well. And he has eaten some, just not a ton yet and definitely no veggies, although they are always available. I just don't see how a 100 watt basking bulb for 10-12 inches away wouldn't put out the necessary heat (unless the bulb is just junk).

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
No, he isn't showing darker colors and I'm honestly not convinced my laser thermometer is 100% accurate showing only 90 degrees. I purchased him at Petsmart just yesterday. I bathed him twice so far to ensure hydration and he sipped the bathing water as well. And he has eaten some, just not a ton yet and definitely no veggies, although they are always available. I just don't see how a 100 watt basking bulb for 10-12 inches away wouldn't put out the necessary heat (unless the bulb is just junk).
the bulb is definitely possible to be junk. ive always gotten the exoterra intense basking bulbs and had no issues on a 40 breeder. and being that its so little it’s entirely possible that it’s getting adjusted, but im not sure by any means. another thing to (sadly) consider is that reptiles from (most) petcos and petsmarts arent known to be the healthiest things so its entirely possible that something may be wrong with it.

Mushu329

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yeah, I've heard that about those stores but took a chance anyway. He was the most active one at the store so we'll see. I don't see any concerning signs thus far other than his "lazy" behavior. Thanks again for all your quick feedback! I'll update this thread as time progresses. I'll definitely be getting that T5 HO 10.0 UVB bulb tho!

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
Yeah, I've heard that about those stores but took a chance anyway. He was the most active one at the store so we'll see. I don't see any concerning signs thus far other than his "lazy" behavior. Thanks again for all your quick feedback! I'll update this thread as time progresses. I'll definitely be getting that T5 HO 10.0 UVB bulb tho!
also, if you have the funds check amazon weekly for the t5ho bulbs, they fluctuate drastically in price. sometimes they can be $20 others they can be $40+ so just keep an eye out and whenever theyre on sale buy one or two so you wont have to worry about them for awhile.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I just asked about the UVB light on your other thread! Getting a T5 HO is a great idea. I know PetMountain online had them on sale last week, not sure if they still do.

The tank looks tall in your picture. You may need to play around with basking platforms, maybe something a little taller to help get him closer to the light. When mine were babies I did use a 150watt bulb for awhile. Just make sure your dome fixture is rated for a high watt bulb. You don't have to give him a bath to hydrate him. You could put water in a little bowl and wiggle your fingers in it and he may drink. Or you can just drip a little water on the tip of his nose so that he licks it off. Too many baths can cause respiratory issues.

Mushu329

Bearded Dragon Egg
OK you guys have been awesome! I went out tonight and picked up a 24" T8 10.0 UVB tube and a 150W basking bulb and WOW! I don't know if it's coincidence or not but he immediately annihilated crickets and roaches he wanted nothing to do with just an hour or 2 before. He was running around the tank on a frenzy gobbling up all he could handle. Again, could be coincidental but it was awesome to watch nonetheless. I also took his basking temp from 90 degrees to 102-106 depending on where I aim the gun and he does look lighter in color than before. Thanks again for the awesome advice!

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
OK you guys have been awesome! I went out tonight and picked up a 24" T8 10.0 UVB tube and a 150W basking bulb and WOW! I don't know if it's coincidence or not but he immediately annihilated crickets and roaches he wanted nothing to do with just an hour or 2 before. He was running around the tank on a frenzy gobbling up all he could handle. Again, could be coincidental but it was awesome to watch nonetheless. I also took his basking temp from 90 degrees to 102-106 depending on where I aim the gun and he does look lighter in color than before. Thanks again for the awesome advice!
UVB can help out immensely although it was probably more likely the temps because if basking spot was that cold the rest of its tank was probably even worse. so that’s probably what did it

Mushu329

Bearded Dragon Egg
I feel a lot better knowing everything is where it should be. And I agree, he suddenly seems less "sluggish" and happier in general.

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
I feel a lot better knowing everything is where it should be. And I agree, he suddenly seems less "sluggish" and happier in general.
yeah then it was definitely the temps. cause if you think about it at the pet store theyre in those tiny boxes they HAVE to be hotter than heck. so going down to cooler temperatures would “upset” them

Mushu329

Bearded Dragon Egg
RIght and as I described before, he was super active in the pet store. But now he has a habitat 4 times the size and all to himself. How many do you have and how old are they/he/she?

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
RIght and as I described before, he was super active in the pet store. But now he has a habitat 4 times the size and all to himself. How many do you have and how old are they/he/she?
sadly i technically have none currently. i moved out of state and had to leave him with my parents due to the person im living withs wishes. but he is i think 3 years old now.
0d852baba17c05ef27f74c114b0f4b65.jpg

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
All it takes is a few tweaks! I’m glad he’s doing great! Now he’s going to eat you out of house and home LOL!

Mushu329

Bearded Dragon Egg
Haha! That's exactly how my wife looks at me when I ask a "stupid" question. He's a good looking beardie! Yes PatsyB! He's going to turn me into a cricket breeder lol.

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
Haha! That's exactly how my wife looks at me when I ask a "stupid" question. He's a good looking beardie! Yes PatsyB! He's going to turn me into a cricket breeder lol.
ask your wife if you can breed dubias.. you’ll definitely get that look

Latest posts