• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Prolapse?

Sherlockthebeardeddragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
So Sherlock is about a year and a half old and his diet consists of mostly fruits and veggies with occasional crickets and meal worms (once or twice within 2 months) and one day after eating about 6 crickets he went to the bathroom and after his "intestines" we're hanging out. This has happened before and they went back in within a day or two but this time they have not gone back in and they are starting to look longer and more dirty. This was three days ago and ever since we noticed we have been bathing him in warm water twice a day and today we just moisterized the area with Vaseline. Can anybody tell me how to resolve this? (He has been eating normally)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 76

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
He needs to see a vet so they can put his insides back on the inside. Prolapses aren't something you should leave to resolve themselves. Serious issues can arise if the tissue dries out. You should schedule an emergency vet appt asap.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Sherlockthebeardeddragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
He needs to see a vet so they can put his insides back on the inside. Prolapses aren't something you should leave to resolve themselves. Serious issues can arise if the tissue dries out. You should schedule an emergency vet appt asap.

Is there anything we can do at home? There are no vets around us and we cannot afford one of there is

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
It's either a prolapse or his hempine. Either way a vet really needs to look at it. If it's been out 3 days there may be nothing that can be done to save it. Keeping it moist is good. If it's a prolapse, a cool sugar water bath would help get the swelling down but that's if it's done immediately when it happens. You could try it now but like I said, I don't know if the intestine or hempine can be saved.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I've never corrected a prolapse in a bearded dragon, just a snake. We took a wet q-tip and very gently rolled the tissue back in. This was immediately after the prolapse occurred, though. Having been prolapsed for so long, it may not want to stay in. Usually a vet would administer an anti-inflammatory injection to aid in the healing process. You'll have to keep a very close eye on him. It looks like his hemipene, hopefully he'll recover, but it's not a guarantee.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I've never corrected a prolapse in a bearded dragon, just a snake. We took a wet q-tip and very gently rolled the tissue back in. Having been prolapsed for so long, it may not want to stay in. Usually a vet would administer an anti-inflammatory injection to aid in the healing process. You'll have to keep a very close eye on him.

I've never done it for a bearded dragon either but I have a frog that gets them. We do the sugar soaks for a bit and then we do the q-tip. A vet would do an anti-inflammatory and remove any dead tissue and maybe put a stitch in if it won't stay in.

Sherlockthebeardeddragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
We just soaked him for a few mins in warm water, with a q-tip it feels hard and we've been rubbing Vaseline on it daily until we can find or afford a vet. He is his usual self and does not appear in any pain

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 52

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Can you take a moist q-tip and try to roll it back in? Time is of the essence in situations like these. Waiting to save money for a vet could put him at risk. If the tissue isn't getting proper blood flow, it could cause cell death, which can lead to the tissue becoming necrotic, which can then lead to sepsis.

Sherlockthebeardeddragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Can you take a moist q-tip and try to roll it back in? Time is of the essence in situations like these. Waiting to save money for a vet could put him at risk. If the tissue isn't getting proper blood flow, it could cause cell death, which can lead to the tissue becoming necrotic, which can then lead to sepsis.

I am able to roll it back into him but he just pushes them back out, I tried several times. We found a vet and we are going to go tomorrow asap

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I am able to roll it back into him but he just pushes them back out, I tried several times. We found a vet and we are going to go tomorrow asap
That's fantastic news! Please keep us posted. I'm wishing your little guy the best.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hope the vet visit goes well, keep us posted

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Ditto to the above, how is Sherlock doing?

Latest posts