• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Prolapse? Help!

kkb95

Bearded Dragon Egg
FF3CDFFB-779E-4542-8573-09367A6F72EF.jpeg
44BF0525-8561-46E4-8844-D189E3D76F65.jpeg
EAB4EDEA-A3A3-4552-9BD4-81E6D0A986E1.jpeg
3E9DE96A-4E09-4DF9-BB5C-EE71ECBE31CF.jpeg
I have a female bearded dragon that’s about a year and 4 months old. One day in May she threw up and lost her appetite from then on. In the throw up she had little white worms, so I brought her to the vet and they wormed her. I thought she’d regain her appetite after she was wormed, but she didn’t for another month and a half. During this month and a half, after her bowel movements, she’d have this pink thing that would stick out of her rectum. At first it would go back in within a minute after she had a bowel movement, but as time went on it would stay out for hours at a time. I did some research and thought it may be a prolapse. I read to give bearded dragons sugar baths to help prolapses go back in. I’d also put a bandaid on her butt with a little bit of Vaseline to keep it moist. This eventually stopped and she regained her appetite and put on back the weight she lost. She seemed healthy again. Now a few months later the “prolapse” is back again and her appetite is down again. She’s been having small bowel movements daily for the past week and the “prolapse” comes out for hours every time. This time around when she shed the newly shedded skin is darker than the test of her body. She also is extremely hyper right before she has a bowel movement and the “prolapse” comes out. She continues being hyper for hours after the “prolapse” is out too. I’ve seen a pinch of blood on the paper towels I use for her bedding, so I’m assuming it’s bleeding just a bit sometimes. Her color is also a bit darker than normal. Can anyone help me figure out what’s wrong? Has anyone ever experienced any of this? Please help if you can! Thanks!

Other info: When I brought her home from the breeder I noticed she had a small lump on her elbow. I waited a few months after monitoring it and brought her to the vet because it seemed to be bothering her because she’d limp when she would walk, she still limps but it doesn’t stop her from being active. The vet examined her and x-rayed her and said it wasn’t gout and most likely just a birth defect she will have to live with for the rest of her life. Maybe this is info that can help?

She also rarely eats vegetables or fruits. I’ve fought with her since the day I brought her home. I tried everything to her her to like them, but she mostly eats super worms, meal worms, dubia roaches, wax worms, and butter worms. She got tired of crickets and won’t eat them anymore. The only thing she’ll eat occasionally is yellow squash, collards, and mustard greens. Maybe this is helpful information too? Her poop usually isn’t runny, but since May it has been very dark brown, almost black most of the time.

I’ve attaches pictures of the “prolapse,” bump on her arm, darker shedded skin, and her recent bowel movement.

kkb95

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please post this on a different forum for help -- there are people there that can help you
beardeddragon.org--- there is a vet moderator on there as well as very experienced people
I keep trying to make an account on that site but for some reason it won’t let me.

Latest posts