• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Problem with Charizard's Eye

Scottio

Hatchling Dragon
Hey guys,

Over the past few days I've noticed a little problem with Charizards eye.

A few days ago it seemed like there was a buildup of eye sleep but it's since developed into a little red line. He doesnt appear to be in any pain and the eye is working correctly.

Any ideas?

24v3e5j.jpg

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hmm. Maybe Germ, Aleena, or Buddha might know. He might have scratched his eye on something(?) or it's an eye infection which needs to be treated by a vet.

Scottio

Hatchling Dragon
As I took Charizard to be looked after over new year the woman told me that it's just locust blood and she can clean it off. Happy days. X

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Silly boy! Shows you how much he loves his locusts! LOL!

Jesse omg it's me

Juvenile Dragon
thats good news!! how is he today? i notice the bedding you are using you should take that out if you want to use a substrate best thing is childrens play sand strained or news paper/towels things of those kinds.

Scottio

Hatchling Dragon
I'm just getting on to that substrate today. It's beech chips. I thought it'd be better than sand as it's a bit bigger but apparently not. I'm going to remove it today. Had anyone ever had problems with beech chips? He doesn't eat from it as all feeding is done outside the viv.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What, do you think a BD is only hungry or checking out their environment at feeding time ;) -lol. Wood chips or any indigestable substrate small enough to to be swallowed but too big to go through the digestive tract are very high impaction risks.

Scottio

Hatchling Dragon
I've removed the substrate today. I think we're going to give it a few more months before bothering with any substrate at all, I'll pop a few extra rocks in there when I get back to uni to keep his nails down.

What tiles do people use? The only ones I can think of would be floor tiles but the only ones I've seen are the shiny smooth ones?

He ate one cricket today but a load of veg so hopefully he's getting back into the swing of things. I really don't want to have to move him again but sadly theres no option.

I have to say today he scared the life out of me, I had him in a box while I was clearing out the substrate and as I went over to get him again, completely forgetting how high I was above him, he flared his beard out, I've never seen it before! I actually jumped back as I saw the size of his neck inflate about twice the size!

Pat B

Super Moderator
You probably scared him so he defended himself and scared you back! I would have jumped! At least he is eating so that is good. I would check his poop whenever he goes. I don't think I would use shiny tile because they are slippery. At one time i used slate tile. Bought it at Lowes on clearance. Since then I use sand....he likes it.

Scottio

Hatchling Dragon
Yeah I must have, He's always been at my level so i've never even seen it before! Yeah I'll keep an eye out for some cheap tiles somewhere over the next few weeks. Just had a text from my mum (I'm at work) and he's eaten the crickets I left this morning so we're on the up! So glad, I've done nothing but worry since I got him back!