• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

PROBABLY A VERY DUMB QUESTION ABOUT SHEDDING!

bev33

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi there, apologies in advance for my stupidity!

Our fab beardie dexter is about 12 weeks old, we have had him for nearly 3 weeks and he has started to shed today, is that normal?? he eats veggies and crickets well....sounds dumb, but how often do they shed???

Bev xx

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
babies shed alot. YoYo is about 4 months old and is constitly shedding. He just got through a whole body shed and is starting to shed his tail again. the shedding will slow down as an adult

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
For starters, there is no such thing as a dumb question. How can you learn if you don't ask any questions?

As Corrine said, babies tend to shed a lot and will slow down as they reach maturity. Shedding is a sign that your beardie is growing. So, congrats on the shed. Keep up the warm baths. It helps sooth them and is said to help speed up the shedding process.

Every dragon sheds at different rates. As you get to know yours, you'll figure out what his shedding cycle is like.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
When my two younger males, Orion and Gemini were babies, they tended to shed on a weekly basis... pretty much going from one shed to an other. Couldn't tell where one left off and the new one began at times... Annebelle isn't much like that at all... She has definite sheds, and non shedding periods. Yardley sheds once every month or so.. give or take.
Each dragon is different, but as both responses stated, one you know your dragon's pattern, it all becomes easier ;)
Janie

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I totally agree wth the above :D. I just wanted to say something about "stupid questions", a wise woman once told me that the only stupid question ever is "why did'nt i ask a question?".

bev33

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thankyou so much everyone, he has shed his whole body! very proud of him! lol (well, we say him, havent a clue if he is indeed a he, but as im only having one, dont think it will make a difference to my eldest son! lol xx

DragonMom

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Posts some pics for us! We love pics and we'd love to see him after his shed!

pure_addiction_05

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Ozzy Ozbourne Winkleman (My precious bearded dragon who is a tangering color) takes like a month to a month and a half to shed his whole body. He sheds in stages....it starts with the front of his head & tail, then his legs, then the back part of his head and his body! It takes him awhile to do it. He loves warm baths when he is shedding. It's so cute to see them do it!!!

And yes, just like everyone else says, there is no such thing as a stupid question!!!!

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Baths are really good for your beardies when they are shedding. Glad he enjoys it.