• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pre-owned Beardy health help!

DaniThonen

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello! I'm Dani and I would love advice on a Beardy that I took into my care after a string of events.

The dragon's story is that my housemate got a lizard from preloved and he has health conditions not mentioned and then the guy decided he didn't actually like anything about the lizard, hated feeding him or touching him in general so I took him on since I own a snake and I've had a beardy in the past. He already wasn't eating so I didn't want my housemate to just sell him on again and stress him more.

He's missing the end of his tail and quite a few fingers and toes, He was also a bit underweight and it looks like he's covered in stuck shed. I assume he lost his fingers and tail from the shedding issue he's got going on. He had very impacted femoral pores that bathing and brushing with a toothbrush got out.

I've had him for nearly two months now, we called him Spork and he's a great dragon. He's so tame and chill and he loves to just be out with people. He's asleep in my lap as I write this now. I got him to eat again (only bugs atm, veggies are slow for him) My problem is that there are no reptile vets around me and I'm worried about his shedding issues.

I've been giving him at least four baths a week which helped his pores but this shed just isn't moving. I've tried shed-aid too and it's not doing anything and I'm worried about him losing more toes because of it, you can see the clear difference between the shed areas and the stuck parts. He also walks on one claw curled in and I'm not sure if I can fix it, his claws were all pretty overgrown when I got him so I think that's some sort of trauma to the toe.

Thank you for any help you can give!

Attachments

• 20220928_123635.jpg
    20220928_123635.jpg
    924.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220928_123645.jpg
    20220928_123645.jpg
    643.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220928_123739.jpg
    20220928_123739.jpg
    601.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220928_123919.jpg
    20220928_123919.jpg
    495.1 KB · Views: 8

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello! I'm Dani and I would love advice on a Beardy that I took into my care after a string of events.

The dragon's story is that my housemate got a lizard from preloved and he has health conditions not mentioned and then the guy decided he didn't actually like anything about the lizard, hated feeding him or touching him in general so I took him on since I own a snake and I've had a beardy in the past. He already wasn't eating so I didn't want my housemate to just sell him on again and stress him more.

He's missing the end of his tail and quite a few fingers and toes, He was also a bit underweight and it looks like he's covered in stuck shed. I assume he lost his fingers and tail from the shedding issue he's got going on. He had very impacted femoral pores that bathing and brushing with a toothbrush got out.

I've had him for nearly two months now, we called him Spork and he's a great dragon. He's so tame and chill and he loves to just be out with people. He's asleep in my lap as I write this now. I got him to eat again (only bugs atm, veggies are slow for him) My problem is that there are no reptile vets around me and I'm worried about his shedding issues.

I've been giving him at least four baths a week which helped his pores but this shed just isn't moving. I've tried shed-aid too and it's not doing anything and I'm worried about him losing more toes because of it, you can see the clear difference between the shed areas and the stuck parts. He also walks on one claw curled in and I'm not sure if I can fix it, his claws were all pretty overgrown when I got him so I think that's some sort of trauma to the toe.

Hi Dani
Thank you for taking the time to take the dragon in and care for him ---- so sad when people do this to a poor helpless animal---- so the best thing for the dragon and the shedding issue is please stop w/ all the bathing - its only going to dry the skin out now since you got the femoral pores taken care of --- on the femoral pores for the future is you can use some coconut oil to soften them up as well ---- have a good hard rock that he can rub against w/ the bottom of his vent / butt to keep them open --- as for the shedding the shed ease is not going to help-- some Neosporin w/ NO pain relief that will soften the shed and prevent infection --- the best way to keep this from happening is the humidity in the tank is optimal 40-50% taken w/ a digital probe hygrometer place on the back center wall of the tank --- next the UVB --- it is extremely important for the over all health of the dragon from toes to internal -- the toe I am not sure about --- so I have asked someone who can help w/ that -- Please NO coils for a UVB they are inadequate and will cause all kinds of health issues ---- you want a long tube fixture I can help w/ that as well --- if you need links or recommendations for one please let me know -- there are 2 good ones that I usually recommend

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

The nail is curled under but that's not uncommon. They can find nail clipping videos on youtube. The leg itself looks chubby, although I can't see the rest.
I posted another pic or her to look at

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The nail is curled under but that's not uncommon. They can find nail clipping videos on youtube. The leg itself looks chubby, although I can't see the rest.
I posted another pic or her to look at
Dragon looks fine, just a nail curled under. Even if a digit on a toe gets broken there's not much you can do and the dragon keeps right on going as usual.