• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Power sun 100watt

kingkung

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi. I recent got a powersun 100w mounted in a zoo med deep dome lamp fixture and was wondering if it should be hanging above the screen or if it was OK to set it on the screen top? I have an exo terra large low(36"x18"x12"). With the the light on the screen it is 12" to the cage floor, but the basking branch is up about 6". When my beardie is on the basking branch the light is about 6" from his back.

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Sorry, should've been more specific, I just meant the enclosure. :D Does your dragon usually bask right there or does it move all the way to the top of the branch sometimes?

kingkung

Bearded Dragon Egg
He rarely goes to the top. But at the top of the branch its gets to 122 degrees. I made a ghetto fabulous stand to allow an extra couple inches of clearance

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Sorry for all the questions, but where he is in that picture is 6" from the bulb? Or is it 6" from the top of the branch?

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I would not recommend using those mini dome spots. They are just too intense a spotlight, that have very little beam spread. It creates a focused pinpoint that can get too extreme. You always want the widest beam angle you can find so that you get the largest spread of light and heat

monkeybumpz

Juvenile Dragon
I have an extra repti-glo compact 5.0 13 watt uvb bulb. Its for tropical setups, but I was wondering if it would be OK to use it with my beardie on top of the power sun for extra uvb, or it not good for desert dwellers?

monkeybumpz

Juvenile Dragon
What is the difference between the repti glo 5.0 and 10.0 compact bulbs? I know one is for tropical animals and the 10.0 is for dessert dwellers. Is there any more to it than that?

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
The different numbers correspond to the percentage of the total output of the bulb falls within the UVB spectrum. So of the 100% of the bulb output, the 5.0 has 5% of that output in the UVB wavelengths, and the 10.0 has 10% of the total within that UVB wavelengths. Its largely a useless number as each brand and bulb has a different total output though. So even though Arcadia, for instance, has bulbs that say 6% and 12%, they dont produce any more UVB than the Zoomed bulbs, they just have a different total output. Basically its marketing, and a rough guide within each brand to designate which produces more or less UVB.

Latest posts