• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Potty trained?

tresbienensemble

Hatchling Dragon
Ever since we got Norbert we noticed something really interesting about the way he behaved right before and after he pooped. About an hour after "breakfast" he will start running about and glass surfing, then he will get very still and poop. If we do not respond immediately he will recommence the glass surfing until we clean the poop. He poops on the side facing us and is very careful not to get himself into his mess.

So after observing this behavior for a week we tried something. We took a folded paper towel and placed it in the "poop" spot just as he started to get ancy. He stopped dancing, centered himself on the napkin and pooped. He has done this three days in a row now. I do not believe this is a coincidence.

Norbert is a clean boy and I love him!

photo.php

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
That's hilarious! They do tend to poop in the same spot and they walk away from the poop like it grosses them out and they are afraid to touch it!

tresbienensemble

Hatchling Dragon
I read the other day someone's beardie liked to make a mess in their poop. And I'm sure most do poop in the same spot. This will be my next experiment, but the napkin down in a different part of his viv and see if he poops there :) Eureka!

#lastpost #bedtime

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hmmm. Very interesting. When training puppies to use pads the pad us first placed where they pee. When they use it consistently the pad is then moved by inches toward the door. Looking forward to hearing results of your experiment

tresbienensemble

Hatchling Dragon
My experiment failed :-P he pooped on the napkin for one more day after the last post, then went back to going on his stones and bugging us until its clean. lols

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
lol. he stopped smelling his pooping spot. :D Mine poops and doesn't like messes.

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
Yeh Diego always poops in the same spot unless he gets a bath that day. Im gunna try thr napkin thing c how it goes. :)

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Mine also poops on her logs when she wants attention. Forgot to mention that one too.

Latest posts