• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Possible Vomiting..?

BrookeE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Okay friends I need some help here.

A few weeks ago, I noticed Yoshi started gaping a lot more than usual. And not just when she was under her basking lamp. On top of that, she had very runny and VERY smelly poo, and I noticed her appetite go through the roof. I heard her have kind of a whistle sounding exhale when I picked her up. So I immediately made her an appointment with the vet for the next day. We went to the vet and I couldn't stand the guy and I didnt feel like he was as knowledgeable about reptiles as he claimed to be. But, nevertheless, he gave me Baytril for a respiratory infection, which i was glad about because thats what i expected.
Immediately when we returned home, I bleached her tank, everything inside of it, and anything that I use to take care of her, and cleaned everything really good. She also got a bath with some reptile soap. I also sent off a stool sample for testing to doctor dragons, but it came back negative for any problems, but they did tell me that her food wasn't digested as much as they would like to see, and I should check my temps, but it could be a result of her scarfing down food (which she has been doing). My temps are right where they should be, I check them daily with a temp gun. Due to my suspicion that the sand i was using for substrate could have contributed to a respiratory infection, I am now just using paper towels.
So she's been getting .1 ml of the Baytril day and night for exactly two weeks now, and I've been adding probiotics to her salads every day. She's been getting 15 minute baths about every other day. Ive been crazy about trying to keep everything very clean.
Over the course of her treatment, her excessive gaping has stopped completely. She only does it when under her lamp and its not constant. She hasn't been scarfing her food down nearly as quickly, but still eating all of it. Her poop has become more solid, and digested, and she goes every morning like clock work (which i clean immediately). However theres still been a big area around her poop that is wet and it still smells absolutely terrible. Is it normal when using paper towels to have wet around the spot they have pooped?
This morning, she went as usual, i cleaned it up, as usual. She ate about 7 crickets a few hours ago and then I gave her some acorn squash to eat, which she ate some of. But I went in there a bit ago to check on her and there was some slightly digested acorn squash, and a few scattered body parts of a cricket. Could she have thrown this up? It definitely smelled terribly. But I cant imagine that being poo. It certainly doesn't look like it.
She's acting perfectly fine. Still eating no problem. Running around with tons of energy like nothing happened. Could the medication be making her sick? Should I stop giving it to her?

Thanks y'all.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
great details. yes - the medication could be making her sick. no - don't stop giving it to her. if her poo is more solid and digested, that's a good thing. she may have thrown up. sometimes when they eat too fast that can happen. she may have a bit of a sour tummy from the baytril. the probiotics will help that. how much longer do you have on the baytril? the wet area around the poo is probably just liquid - as in: there will always be SOME liquid in poo - that's what keeps it from being a rock. you didn't notice it on the sand, cuz it was just not visible. I don't know if baytril causes foul smelling poo - I've not had to use it. maybe someone else will be able to provide some feedback on this. sounds like she is on the right track - if it aint broke - don't fix it. keep us posted

BrookeE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
She's been taking the baytril for 2 weeks exactly today. The bottle says take it for 3 weeks but theres definitely not enough in there for another week. So ill probably run out of it in a couple of days. So she doesn't have too much time left. I hope its just the meds making her sick and it was a one time thing. Crossing my fingers.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I had one instance of my beardie puking, which wasn't med related. That came from eating too much, too fast. In poop vs puke, poop smells like poop, and puke looks like undigested food, which I didn t think smelled terrible. Another key identifier is poop usually has a urate cap, and puke doesn't, having come out the wrong end. And as Canicke said, liquid around the poop is totally normal.

Keep up with the meds until you run out. Better to be completely rid of the infection, than to stop early and have some residual bacteria that can develop a resistance to the Baytril. Yoshi is still eating and being active, despite the potential puking spell, which is great. Keep up the good work, you only have a few more days to go!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

BrookeE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Well we had round two today. About the exact same story as yesterday. Had her normal bowel movement. It looked great today so I was really excited about that. Administered her morning dose, let her have a couple of super worms, put some squash in there for her to eat. Which she ate but it was a pretty relaxed meal. She didnt eat really fast or anything. But again when I went to check on her a hour or so later, it looks like she threw up again. Same half digested pile of squash and a few bits of worm here and there. Still acting totally normal. Doesn't seem to have bothered her. Tons of energy to run around and she's in the bath right now.

I think her meds will run out tomorrow so hopefully this throwing up thing won't persist. Im thinking maybe tomorrow Ill wait a while after her medicine to give her a meal and see if that helps. Maybe even change her veggies up.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I'd give her food in the morning, time to digest during the day, and meds an hour or two before lights out. That's the method I try to follow. It seems to help curb stomach upset caused by medication.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

BrookeE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
New story today, Instead of a bowel movement this morning, more semi digested food, but this time it was a lot of it. I didnt give her any more food, and a couple hours later, more vomit. Not feeling good about this. Though she still seems unfazed, surely this will catch up with her. Not sure what to do at this point. Luckily Im out of medicine so I hope she starts to improve. Anyone have recommendations of food thats easy to digest? I could always blend up some stuff I guess and give it to her in liquid form. Idk if she would hold that down or not. Thoughts?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I would up her temps in her tank and see if that helps anything. Making it a little warmer will also help with the URI.

Latest posts