• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Possible to stop beardie from going into burmation?

dappledawnfarm

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey beardie folks,
My bearded dragon will be 8 months old in a week or so and he has all the signs of wanting to go into burmation. From the information I researched online, most say that beardies less than a year old should not go into burmation. He's pretty much the size of a full grown bearded dragon, 19 inches and 390 G. Is it possible to stop a beardy from going into burmation? Or is it okay to let him do what Nature's calling him to do?

Thanks

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey beardie folks,
My bearded dragon will be 8 months old in a week or so and he has all the signs of wanting to go into burmation. From the information I researched online, most say that beardies less than a year old should not go into burmation. He's pretty much the size of a full grown bearded dragon, 19 inches and 390 G. Is it possible to stop a beardy from going into burmation? Or is it okay to let him do what Nature's calling him to do?

Thanks
Before we determine that is is actually brumation we need to go over the UVB your using and surface basking temps and temps in the tank - if this is off the behavior can simulate brumation behavior- surface basking temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer ---

dappledawnfarm

Bearded Dragon Egg
Before we determine that is is actually brumation we need to go over the UVB your using and surface basking temps and temps in the tank - if this is off the behavior can simulate brumation behavior- surface basking temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer ---
I have the standard 22-in long UVB bulb specifically for bearded dragons. I have checked the bulb with a UVB indicator and that is still good. What should the surface basking temperature be? Right now I have three basking bulbs, 100, 100, 75 watt, a ceramic heat emitter100 watt, and an LED light. The vivarium is 70 gallon.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have the standard 22-in long UVB bulb specifically for bearded dragons. I have checked the bulb with a UVB indicator and that is still good. What should the surface basking temperature be? Right now I have three basking bulbs, 100, 100, 75 watt, a ceramic heat emitter100 watt, and an LED light. The vivarium is 70 gallon.
Surface basking temps 95-100 - ambient on hot side around 100 or 90's middle 90's and cool side 80ish - where is the uvb? Inside the tank or top of screen?

dappledawnfarm

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok now for the screen is it a wide hole or a fine mesh like a screen door - screens will block 30% of the UVB rays
It's a fine mesh so, I see, it's blocking a large percentage of UVB. Can they be installed under the screen? How? Where?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It's a fine mesh so, I see, it's blocking a large percentage of UVB. Can they be installed under the screen? How? Where?
Yes you want it directly over the basking decor 12-15 inches- I would put it as close to your basking area as possible - hang w/ 3M Velcro fasteners - fishing line- long plastic zip ties or picture wire hangers I recommend those

Latest posts