• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Possible mouth rot?

RachelM

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello! I work for an animal welfare agency and this bearded dragon at a pet store was reported to us as having mouth rot. Unfortunately none of us are savvy with issues like this and after searching online I wasn't able to come up with anything definitive. I'm wondering if you folks agree there is mouth rot here? We're also told his eye was shut like this for the minute or so he was observed, I am suspecting that would be indicative of illness, or do bearded dragons rest upright with their eyes shut like this?

Thanks so much.

-Marie

Attachments

• D2F7D20C-8B18-4D4C-85DD-A4F8A0A0C2AE.jpeg
    D2F7D20C-8B18-4D4C-85DD-A4F8A0A0C2AE.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 11

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello! I work for an animal welfare agency and this bearded dragon at a pet store was reported to us as having mouth rot. Unfortunately none of us are savvy with issues like this and after searching online I wasn't able to come up with anything definitive. I'm wondering if you folks agree there is mouth rot here? We're also told his eye was shut like this for the minute or so he was observed, I am suspecting that would be indicative of illness, or do bearded dragons rest upright with their eyes shut like this?

Thanks so much.

-Marie
Yes hes not in the best of shape I am going to get some help so bare w / me --- what kind of lighting is in the tank NO coils for a UVB please basking temps how are they being taken NO stick ons you need a digital probe thermometer to get accurate temps --- that could be shed coming on around the eye but the mouth doesnt look good can you get a pic of the inside of his mouth so we can see it please

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you for responding! I am checking with the complainant on the parameters and if we can get better photos.
Here is what one person responded I am waiting to hear back from the vet tech but that wont be til tonight

It may be but can't see enough from this pic. Is the dragon eating ? They can apply chlorhexidine, watered down betadine or unpasteurized honey a couple times a day with a Q-tip. Other than that, if the dragon won't eat and the mouth actually looks sore then a trip to a qualified reptile vet may be needed.

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
Here is what one person responded I am waiting to hear back from the vet tech but that wont be til tonight

It may be but can't see enough from this pic. Is the dragon eating ? They can apply chlorhexidine, watered down betadine or unpasteurized honey a couple times a day with a Q-tip. Other than that, if the dragon won't eat and the mouth actually looks sore then a trip to a qualified reptile vet may be needed.
I think the issue is this beardie is in a pet store and the person who is posting this has had a complaint from a third party, the person who is making the complaint has to go back and ask details etc at the pet store they are complaining about so getting lighting details and advising the pet store on care is probably futile!

@RachelM i take it you have not personally seen the dragon but are getting advice in relation to a complaint you have received? Then trying to find out if you have grounds for neglect to be able to remove the dragon?? Or am I reading this completely wrong?

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
BeardieMum, you are correct. I am pushing the complainant to get us better intel on the tank parameters and more photos.
Okay, in my opinion the best thing would be a video of the said dragon, as Sadie said the mouth does not look good, wait for the vet tech to get back with regard to that! if the eyes being closed was just because of chance then you can’t argue however a beardie doesn’t generally sit with its eyes closed. If it’s shedding it will be more inclined to close its eyes for a short period of time, that’s why a video would be better for the claimant to get , and probably easier! the general behaviour would be easier to judge, plus it would give an insight with regard to the enclosures set up. I don’t think u can upload a video to this forum but you can upload to YouTube then post a link here.

RachelM

Bearded Dragon Egg
Got it, thank you all so much for your insight. I'm working to get better intel and footage. I will update as soon as I have that in hand.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

Still waiting from vet tech -- I am going to send her another message

RachelM

Bearded Dragon Egg
We finally got someone back there, the bearded dragon is gone and the tank is full of babies now. They all seem completely fine. The only potential concern was this shedding gecko, I am unsure if this is anything of concern? I can repost this on a gecko forum if needed.

Latest posts