• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Possible growth in the mouth or liver problems :(

steveyrockstar

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi there, back in February I created a thread about how my bearded dragon had lost his appetite since October (http://www.beardeddragonforum.com/threads/help-my-beardie-has-stopped-eating.12441/). Various explanations were suggested from different sources, the most common one being that he was brumating.

However, as the weather got warmer, my beardie's appetite didn't pick up. Also I was very concerned by the faces he pulled when he ate something and the amount of lip licking he did ("errr, that tastes funny"). Also the inside of his mouth appeared to be very yellow.

So I finally took him to the vet yesterday. The vet reckons he might have either have an internal growth in his mouth, likely a fungal one, which is making it very uncomfortable for him to eat, or he might have far more serious underlying problems, specifically with his liver. However, in order to find this out, he needs to be sedated so she can take a look inside his mouth. He also needs to be X-rayed.

Just for doing those checks, I'm being charged £200 ($280), and that's before any medication would start. And that's if the problem is treatable (I fear liver problems would ultimately be terminal).

I'm a total loss of what to do. My beardie is only 20months old and I love him to bits. But I'm fearful of being guided into an expensive journey that I can ill afford, and which may end in heartbreak anyway. As cruel as it sounds, the people in my reptile shop who I trust immensely don't think I should proceed with the checks and just look after him as best as I can.

So my first questions to everyone here is does anyone have any experience of these type of problems that my vet has highlighted? And if so, what is the likely consequence and treatment? Any advice or insight that anyone could give would be ENORMOUSLY appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Dawn McNair

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I haven't had to deal with any health issues as of yet. For me though, before I can make any decision, I would have to know exactly what was wrong first. Then go from there. You don't have to get meds right away. But seems that you should find out what your options actually are, depending on what is going on. Good luck! I hope it's not serious.

steveyrockstar

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks Dawn. I'm waiting for the vet to call me back later this week to discuss in further detail exactly what tests she plans to do, what are the possible diagnosis and the likely implications of each. I was just balking at the expense just to sedate him so they can look inside his mouth. Was wondering whether a different vet wouldn't need to go to such lengths.
S

steveyrockstar

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yep, you're right, just from speaking to others it sounds like other vets should be able to do tests (eg mouth swab) without needing to sedate him first. I just want to make sure I'm with the right vet and not being ripped off

MisterD83

Juvenile Dragon
Interview the vet before s/he does any testing. They don't have to specalize in herps, but at least make sure they know what they are doing with them and what to look for.

My parents had a great general vet, never mistreated any animals that I had growing up. One day, my mom's Cockatiel needed her beak filed a bit because it got too long and she couldn't eat right. Of course my mom took her to the great vet to get it done. during the procedure my mom noticed something was wrong with the bird, the bird had stressed too much because of the filing and basically had a heart attack. The vet admitted that he only heard of birds having a heart attack but never seen it.