• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Possible Euthanasia of Special Needs Beardie

lizard_fingers

Bearded Dragon Egg
I've had my bearded dragon, Kim, for just over 4 years now, she unfortunately has partial paralysis (caused by possible trauma after she hatched or from a birth defect, I honestly don't know, as when i got her the pet store couldn't tell me much about her condition, they told me she would grow out of it which is clearly not the case) she also possibly has some neurological problems. I take her to the vet every few months and whenever a new issue pops up, unfortunately my vet hasn't been able to do much for her condition and she's been gradually getting worse over the years, at first she could move her back legs with minimal success and get around fairly well, you could pinch her tail and she would feel it, try to get away, but now she has no response in her back end, and her ability to move has gotten much worse. She can still move her "arms" but she does kind of an army crawl and because of this she has something akin to callous' on her "hands" and the lower part of her "arms" making it so they cannot be moved the way they're supposed to. She's always had difficulty eating and has shown little interest in it in general, and it's gotten to the point where I need to force-feed frequently just to get anything into her.
Due to her "issues" the way she moves is very...wrong? She tends to do a slither, and when she does this she leaves her mouth wide open, which is the root of her biggest issues= she bites her tongue and fingers. Her tongue is completely destroyed, scarred and bleeds frequently, I can only assume it's incredibly painful (which is the most likely reason she doesn't eat). Her fingers have taken the brunt of her "wrath", only 3 have been spared, 1 is completely missing, 1 she has bit in half, and the other 5 she has ripped out the nails. I keep them clipped as far down as I can (her nails) but it doesn't do any good, she still finds a way to rip them out, they grow back but when they grow back they look "off." She gets liquid calcium every few days and a liquid vitamin mix a couple times a week (both reccomended by the vet because of her issues with eating), I mostly feed her dried food and insects that I soak in water till it gets mushy as this is the easiest thing to feed her, and she's occasionally given live silkworms/wax worms/ phoenix worms but again she shows little interest in them and it's generally a waste of money to feed live food.
After all of this you're probably wondering why I've kept her alive this long- but she's still aware of her surroundings, is active all things considering, and I really deeply care about her. You can't have an animal like her for so long without really caring about them! And I really feel that she knows who I am and enjoys being with me, for a week last year my grandpa had to care for her because I went on vacation, and when I came back to get her I'll never forget what she did, she immediatley perked up when she heard me-got excited, then wiggled herself up into the corner. When I reached into her terrarium to pick her up she calmed down, normally she wiggles a little, tries to get out of my hand, but when I picked her up she just relaxed her entire body. My grandpa had trouble feeding her so maybe she was just hungry and knew I would give her something, but it still warms my heart thinking about that.
My biggest dilema is recently she's taken a turn for the worse, she's begun fling most of the food I give her out of her mouth so she doesn't eat as much as she used to, she's been losing weight because of this and I've bbegun to notice bruising on her eyelids from where she bangs her head against the sides of her enclosure or some of the things I've placed inside. I also think she's beginning to lose her eyesight because they don't dilate/contract like they should and Kim doesn't really focus on anything like she used to. The tip of her tail necrosed and fell off, we had all the dead tissue cut off at the vets and have been giving her everything the vet told us to (i dont know what all of it is but one of them is an antibiotic) but even after all of that I've noticed her tail continue getting darker and I think there may be an issue with her blood flow, and to top it all of at some point last night she ripped out an entire nail bed, and i highly doubt a nail will regrow in this particular finger just because of the amount of nail she ripped out (there's a hole where it was now and her finger is incredibly swollen- the nail is still there hanging by some tissue but she won't let me touch it), and I'm thinking at this point the most humane thing to do would be to put her down, I worry that she's just going to continue getting worse. I tried wrapping her hands in bandages to keep her from biting her fingers but she just chews on them and they fall off within a few hours or I worry about her ingesting the fibers, I really don't think this is any way for her to be living as much as it pains me to think of this- and I really wanted to ask some other people about what they think I should do. Should I continue caring for her the best I can until the inevitable happens or should I cut it short and have her put down? Any input is welcome, and I especially welcome any tips on how to care for her better with her issues so I can keep from having to euthanize. Sorry for this long post, I just wanted to cover all of my bases.

I've attached a couple pictures to it so you can see some of what I'm talking about.

20200903_114851.jpg
20200903_114931.jpg
20200903_115000.jpg

Yvonne G

Administrator
3 Year Member
In the long run, you're the one who has to make the hard decision. You've tried to give her a good life, but now it's time to think of quality of life, and let go of your feelings. Whatever your decision, we're here for you.

lizard_fingers

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you so much for your response, it really means a lot that someone replied. I've been very uncertain with what to do with her, and this is a very difficult decision for me to make. I've been trying to think of her well being, but this is an incredibly difficult decision- especially considering just over a month ago my childhood dog had to be put down. Another death so close to his is heartbreaking to think about, so I think I may wait another week or so and see if she makes any improvements- if she doesn't I'll bring her to the vets to euthanize. I just really can't imagine a life without her,,, I'll post an update when I make my decision. Thank you again, and i apologize it took so long to reply.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm so sorry for the loss of your dog and having to make this decision. It's very hard to make that decision.

sillyclio

Bearded Dragon Egg
This breaks my heart... You're a very brave and generous soul to have provided as much as you could for Kim.

Joesmom

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Not really any good advice but did want to say how kind and caring you are to have taken her in and given her a good life - not many people could (or would) have done the same. I’ll be sending you good thoughts and praying that you’ll know when to make the difficult decision.

Joesmom

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Wanted to also mention that your vet should have some advice - you may want to ask them or even go get another opinion if you’re still unsure.

BeardiesForever49

Bearded Dragon Egg
No one on this forum can tell you what to do. But, we are also here for you and Kim. If she is no longer enjoying her life, it would be the kindest thing to put her to sleep. I understand that two animal deaths within the same time period can be hard, but what's best is best. You are so brave to consider this as you are. Whatever you decide, know you have my thoughts and prayers.
The very best,
-BeardiesForever45

Kimgreen

Bearded Dragon Egg
I've had my bearded dragon, Kim, for just over 4 years now, she unfortunately has partial paralysis (caused by possible trauma after she hatched or from a birth defect, I honestly don't know, as when i got her the pet store couldn't tell me much about her condition, they told me she would grow out of it which is clearly not the case) she also possibly has some neurological problems. I take her to the vet every few months and whenever a new issue pops up, unfortunately my vet hasn't been able to do much for her condition and she's been gradually getting worse over the years, at first she could move her back legs with minimal success and get around fairly well, you could pinch her tail and she would feel it, try to get away, but now she has no response in her back end, and her ability to move has gotten much worse. She can still move her "arms" but she does kind of an army crawl and because of this she has something akin to callous' on her "hands" and the lower part of her "arms" making it so they cannot be moved the way they're supposed to. She's always had difficulty eating and has shown little interest in it in general, and it's gotten to the point where I need to force-feed frequently just to get anything into her.
Due to her "issues" the way she moves is very...wrong? She tends to do a slither, and when she does this she leaves her mouth wide open, which is the root of her biggest issues= she bites her tongue and fingers. Her tongue is completely destroyed, scarred and bleeds frequently, I can only assume it's incredibly painful (which is the most likely reason she doesn't eat). Her fingers have taken the brunt of her "wrath", only 3 have been spared, 1 is completely missing, 1 she has bit in half, and the other 5 she has ripped out the nails. I keep them clipped as far down as I can (her nails) but it doesn't do any good, she still finds a way to rip them out, they grow back but when they grow back they look "off." She gets liquid calcium every few days and a liquid vitamin mix a couple times a week (both reccomended by the vet because of her issues with eating), I mostly feed her dried food and insects that I soak in water till it gets mushy as this is the easiest thing to feed her, and she's occasionally given live silkworms/wax worms/ phoenix worms but again she shows little interest in them and it's generally a waste of money to feed live food.
After all of this you're probably wondering why I've kept her alive this long- but she's still aware of her surroundings, is active all things considering, and I really deeply care about her. You can't have an animal like her for so long without really caring about them! And I really feel that she knows who I am and enjoys being with me, for a week last year my grandpa had to care for her because I went on vacation, and when I came back to get her I'll never forget what she did, she immediatley perked up when she heard me-got excited, then wiggled herself up into the corner. When I reached into her terrarium to pick her up she calmed down, normally she wiggles a little, tries to get out of my hand, but when I picked her up she just relaxed her entire body. My grandpa had trouble feeding her so maybe she was just hungry and knew I would give her something, but it still warms my heart thinking about that.
My biggest dilema is recently she's taken a turn for the worse, she's begun fling most of the food I give her out of her mouth so she doesn't eat as much as she used to, she's been losing weight because of this and I've bbegun to notice bruising on her eyelids from where she bangs her head against the sides of her enclosure or some of the things I've placed inside. I also think she's beginning to lose her eyesight because they don't dilate/contract like they should and Kim doesn't really focus on anything like she used to. The tip of her tail necrosed and fell off, we had all the dead tissue cut off at the vets and have been giving her everything the vet told us to (i dont know what all of it is but one of them is an antibiotic) but even after all of that I've noticed her tail continue getting darker and I think there may be an issue with her blood flow, and to top it all of at some point last night she ripped out an entire nail bed, and i highly doubt a nail will regrow in this particular finger just because of the amount of nail she ripped out (there's a hole where it was now and her finger is incredibly swollen- the nail is still there hanging by some tissue but she won't let me touch it), and I'm thinking at this point the most humane thing to do would be to put her down, I worry that she's just going to continue getting worse. I tried wrapping her hands in bandages to keep her from biting her fingers but she just chews on them and they fall off within a few hours or I worry about her ingesting the fibers, I really don't think this is any way for her to be living as much as it pains me to think of this- and I really wanted to ask some other people about what they think I should do. Should I continue caring for her the best I can until the inevitable happens or should I cut it short and have her put down? Any input is welcome, and I especially welcome any tips on how to care for her better with her issues so I can keep from having to euthanize. Sorry for this long post, I just wanted to cover all of my bases.

I've attached a couple pictures to it so you can see some of what I'm talking about.

View attachment 23426View attachment 23427View attachment 23428
I’m so sorry for what your going through. I had a sick one also and when I took him to the vet them put Homer to sleep. It was the best the best thing for him so he didn’t suffer. I’m so sorry.

Latest posts