• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

shawnp0926

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello! Me and my fiance adopted a 3-4 year old named Lucy around June this year. She has always usually been a bit weary about us handling her, but likes to be on our shoulders once she realizes she's stable with us and is gradually remaining calm more and more each time. She also loves being in the sun and exploring our apartment while our pups are away. Unfortunately, I think we may have something wrong with her husbandry. She's in a 40g reptizoo front opener, which i know is small but that's what we can afford while still allowing a much comfort as we could. Some time after her transition from coconut sand to bioactive about 2 months ago, we've been seeing her stress/belly marks become much more prominent and she's been tucking away to the corner in the photo as of the past week or so. We had no issues with coconut sand, but we learned it could cause impaction if ingested which we found she did a fair amount of between kicking it in her food and simply licking everything like they do, just fyi. She was on food pellets before the transition til we learned that they had no nutritional value. She now eats veggies (collards, green cabbage, and cilantro) throughout the day while we're at work and a superworm or two in the afternoons. Her eating has gotten less since she started sticking to that corner and she seems to lose interest in worms when they're held too far from her, but follows and reaches for it when it's closer. She will eventually slowly chase it once she realizes I'm not going to hand it to her. Last couple times she pooped, its looked similar to the photo but assumed the indigestion was due to the food transition being that she's eating 3 veggies at once. She's been showing a steady shade of dark like in the photos within the same week or so, but she has expressed much lighter shades as I'm sure everyone is aware being that she's a common central beardie. I mist her daily so im pretty confused why her eyes seem sunken. Her basking spot with a 100 watt bulb reaches about 98 and we keep our temp between 72 and 75 which is what her cool side remains with a t8 tube bulb and a 26 watt uvb coil. There is also a 75 watt basking bulb over the plants in the middle. Are the lights too intense at that distance? She always gaped like she enjoyed the lighing distance, but are the lights too intense at this distance? Should we use a bigger bulb with a lamp stand? I also have ordered what we need to test her feces, but i guess that could provide the issue if she stops eating completely. Please provided any insight and ask any questions. The more, the merrier. There are sand and bioactive photos for change reference. I know I shouldn't go online to forums for nursing but we really don't want to go to a vet if all for nothing...

Attachments

• 20221031_190603.jpg
    20221031_190603.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 7
  • 20221031_190553.jpg
    20221031_190553.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
  • 20221031_180556.jpg
    20221031_180556.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • 20221031_180544.jpg
    20221031_180544.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
  • 20221031_180513.jpg
    20221031_180513.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 5
  • 20221028_103225.jpg
    20221028_103225.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 6
  • 20221028_103251.jpg
    20221028_103251.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • 20221003_180148.jpg
    20221003_180148.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • 20221003_180144.jpg
    20221003_180144.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Pk
Hello! Me and my fiance adopted a 3-4 year old named Lucy around June this year. She has always usually been a bit weary about us handling her, but likes to be on our shoulders once she realizes she's stable with us and is gradually remaining calm more and more each time. She also loves being in the sun and exploring our apartment while our pups are away. Unfortunately, I think we may have something wrong with her husbandry. She's in a 40g reptizoo front opener, which i know is small but that's what we can afford while still allowing a much comfort as we could. Some time after her transition from coconut sand to bioactive about 2 months ago, we've been seeing her stress/belly marks become much more prominent and she's been tucking away to the corner in the photo as of the past week or so. We had no issues with coconut sand, but we learned it could cause impaction if ingested which we found she did a fair amount of between kicking it in her food and simply licking everything like they do, just fyi. She was on food pellets before the transition til we learned that they had no nutritional value. She now eats veggies (collards, green cabbage, and cilantro) throughout the day while we're at work and a superworm or two in the afternoons. Her eating has gotten less since she started sticking to that corner and she seems to lose interest in worms when they're held too far from her, but follows and reaches for it when it's closer. She will eventually slowly chase it once she realizes I'm not going to hand it to her. Last couple times she pooped, its looked similar to the photo but assumed the indigestion was due to the food transition being that she's eating 3 veggies at once. She's been showing a steady shade of dark like in the photos within the same week or so, but she has expressed much lighter shades as I'm sure everyone is aware being that she's a common central beardie. I mist her daily so im pretty confused why her eyes seem sunken. Her basking spot with a 100 watt bulb reaches about 98 and we keep our temp between 72 and 75 which is what her cool side remains with a t8 tube bulb and a 26 watt uvb coil. There is also a 75 watt basking bulb over the plants in the middle. Are the lights too intense at that distance? She always gaped like she enjoyed the lighing distance, but are the lights too intense at this distance? Should we use a bigger bulb with a lamp stand? I also have ordered what we need to test her feces, but i guess that could provide the issue if she stops eating completely. Please provided any insight and ask any questions. The more, the merrier. There are sand and bioactive photos for change reference. I know I shouldn't go online to forums for nursing but we really don't want to go to a vet if all for nothing...
Please get rid of the coil 26 watt bulb-- please get your T 8 inside the tank directly above the basking decor 6-8 inches- the coil bulb is doing no good and is inadequate for a uvb- how are you getting the surface basking temp- you want a digital probe thermometer- they are the most accurate - the stress marks could be caused by the coil your using and the T 8 is not strong enough to go thru screen - I would recommend you upgrade to a 24" zoo med fixture w/ a reptisun 10.0 T 5 - your screen on the tank will determine where the uvb goes - distance and placement is crucial- we need to rule out lighting issues before determining brumation - these incorrect will imitate brumation- please no more cabbage and she needs a staple insect like crickets dubi roaches silkworms or bsfl - super worms are treat worms - I can post a nutrition website for you tomorrow-- I can post links for good uvb's- if you like