• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Possible broken ribs or just worried mom

Aubs15

Hatchling Dragon
Skeeter is normally very calm when I take him out of his tank and today when I brought him out he bolted right out of my hand and sped across the top of his enclosure. I grabbed him right before he made the jump from the top of his enclosure but I’m so paranoid that I grabbed him too hard. I wrapped my hand around his entire center as to not hurt him but I don’t know if I’m imagining things but I feel like his little chest is kind of sunken in and I can’t for the life of me remember if it was like that before or if I’m just freaking out for no reason. Do their chests go in? I’m going to post a picture but I’m not for sure you can tell from it or not. He still ate afterwards just like he normally does but when I tried to hold him up he did a little black beard to me which he’s never done before. Please help!

9e2d2e8fdd0b4eb7a1eb5e468ebf1f04.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Minerva

Hatchling Dragon
760db872b5a61604f76c469ec256e38d.jpg

I'll just say what I've noticed from my girl, but I'm no expert. I see the same kinda sunken chest and then like a type bear belly. Sometimes when she's gonna poop and after eating...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I think that it is just the position you have him in all his belly is hanging down.. also I think that if you hurt his ribs I would think he would be black bearding..

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I agree, I think if something was broken he would be black bearding constantly. He wouldn't be moving as much, he wouldn't be eating. But if you are worried, you should take him to the vet to be sure.

Aubs15

Hatchling Dragon
He ate again last night and smashed again this morning. He’s only a few months old so he’s eating about 25 Dubia per feeding and he didn’t hesitate to run down his log this morning to snatch up his breakfast. I’m hoping I was just being overly paranoid. He’s let me take him out and hold him and he snuggled into me like he always does. I just can’t help but think I did something wrong and that wasn’t like that before but I don’t ever hold him up like that so I don’t know if that’s how it looked before. But he’s eating and running around and acting normal as of this morning. No changes or aggression when I pick him up.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He ate again last night and smashed again this morning. He’s only a few months old so he’s eating about 25 Dubia per feeding and he didn’t hesitate to run down his log this morning to snatch up his breakfast. I’m hoping I was just being overly paranoid. He’s let me take him out and hold him and he snuggled into me like he always does. I just can’t help but think I did something wrong and that wasn’t like that before but I don’t ever hold him up like that so I don’t know if that’s how it looked before. But he’s eating and running around and acting normal as of this morning. No changes or aggression when I pick him up.

Well from the sounds of it your little one is just fine.. They are really tough critters

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
It's good that he's up and moving around and acting normal. You aren't paranoid you are just being a great mom and paying attention to your baby. By paying close attention to everything he does helps you in the future to know when something is really wrong. Just remember that he's a reptile and nothing like any other animal you may have ever had so he's not going to do the same things as say a cat or a dog. So everything is going to seem like it's something wrong but in fact it's perfectly normal for a lizard :)

Aubs15

Hatchling Dragon
Thank you all so much for your help and kind words. His indent is still there but he’s acting like he always does and eating just the same so maybe it’s just something I didn’t realize was there before and I panicked. He’s basking and eating and being a little spaz like normal so I think so Far so good. His new tank comes in later this week and it’s 4x2x2 so hopefully the extra room will give him some more exercise and he won’t be so crazy lol

Latest posts