• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Poops only when i pick him up

toast7887

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I've noticed that everytime I pick up Monty (7 months old) he takes a crap on me. First my lap, then my T-shirt, then my hand, then my bed, and my table. I've been starting to think that he only does this because he wants me to put him back in the tank..so i thought about it. It's been about a week since he pooped. I've been giving him regular baths, he's been eating everyday (crickets, silkworms, etc) and there's no reason for impaction.

So I just decided to take him out of the cage today (since i haven't in a while) and let him sit on my bed for a while..see what he does. Two minutes later the seal has broken. There it is. A couple of fresh turds on my bed ONLY RIGHT AFTER I TOOK HIM OUT.

This must be some sort of defense mechanism or something. When he doesn't want to be bothered he'll just crap so i HAVE To put him back in the tank. Does this happen to you guys a lot? I like letting him just sit on my lap BUT HE ALWAYS CRAPS at that exact moment

egg 80

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
:D lol im lucky still got my fingers crossed never been pooped on but seems like he sees you as his toilet cos if he didnt want you to pick him up he wouldnt let you if he saw you as a threat he would hide

paul

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
O M G! LOL...you poor thing. I was lucky. Bernie only pooped in the bath. It made his viv clean and easy to flush away.

I wish I had some words of wisdom to help brake this habit, but if he held it for a week until you picked him up again....I don't know what to say.

Sarz_Puff

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Ye same thing happens to me and my gf....

Anytime shes over and we take puff out he takes a dump....

Least ya no your not alone

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Named Puff said:

Whew! I'm really glad you added this....

For a minute, there, I think I had your beardie and your girlfriend mixed up.
sign0020.gif

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Could be you scare the poop out of him too!!! :eek:

Seriously though!! One of mine came out of brumation and had not gone for quite some time. I had bathed him and he did nothing. I had him wrapped in a blanket on my chest for about 15 minutes when I decided just to lay him on my chest and cover him with his blankie. That's when he decided to dump the mother load. And then try to crawl through my hair!! It was all I could do to stop him from his mission!!! Tricky getting a poopy turtleneck off!!!

toast7887

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Craiger said:
Beardie Named Puff said:

Whew! I'm really glad you added this....

For a minute, there, I think I had your beardie and your girlfriend mixed up.
sign0020.gif

HAHAHA! this stuff is hilarious. Glad i'm not the only one

northface75

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
haha. I can relate to this. my girls used to ALWAYS poop within 2 minutes of me taking them out of the cage. I literally used to just set them down onto a paper towel when I took them out. worked pretty well. now theyve gotten used to either crapping in the tub or in their cage.

I think they just dont like the GOD AWFUL smell they create when they poop so they wait until they are outside the cage lol ;D

thats my theory

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Some only poop outside their tanks, just habit I guess.

But remember this when you are holding your beardie...your body temp is 98.6. Perfect pooping temperature. Chances are if he poops every time you hold him, it is due to that. You can try taking him out and putting him in a spot where you don't mind poop. See what happens.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I guess I should not have laughed so hard at this little problem. The new one I just got has begun this little habit too. I did not take him out yesterday and he did not poop. I am taking him out today so lets see what happens.

Stephanie is a Rockstar

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Lola loves to poop on her daddy and he gags every single time! She got me one time, but I have the "poop wiggle" figured out and usually can get her to a hard surface on time.

She is funny, when she is done pooping in her house she tries to climb the walls almost like "GET ME OUT OF HERE IT STINKS!" when I clean it up and she is right back to her lazy self.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yup...I always called it the "poop salute". Usually when Spyro did this I had plenty of time to adjust and get him to a good pooping spot.

Latest posts