• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pooping all the time (small)/digging? Help!

carolthecoont

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello! Carol (7 years old) was just given a clean bill of health a week ago at the vet — though without fecal test. I rescued her & this was her first visit, & she finally got her talons trimmed! It took her a few days to realize she could move comfortably but now she’s ZOOMING.

However, over the past 3 days, she’s been pooping like twice a day. She normally only poops every other day. Her poops are minuscule & almost only urate. (pic attached lol sorry)

She usually ONLY poops in water but today she pooped in her tank. Then she pooped in water but it was just stringy urate. She looked like she was straining a ton. She doesn’t feel impacted, she was felt for it, so I don’t think that’s it. Her vent is swollen & looks almost prolapsed when she’s pooping but I think it’s because she’s trying so hard. I can’t imagine she has anything left to poop though? She’s eating a little but definitely less than before.

Her digging started & I thought, “Eggs?” but she rejected her huge dig box, & is now also glass surfing. Well kind of, bopping her nose into the glass over & over.

Trying to get her a fecal test ASAP but my vets out & none available local. Any ideas on how to at least keep her comfortable until I can get her antibiotics?

PS - she’s still super active! Running around & looking out the window & sleeping on my chest all good. The poop/digging is just the odd bit for me & definitely new. She also head bobbed for the first time & then pooped? Which was weird? Dominating the poop? Sorry this is so long! Thank you!!!

Attachments

• 3EEA83A8-CAC6-4A09-A612-37B9D72B2577.jpeg
    3EEA83A8-CAC6-4A09-A612-37B9D72B2577.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
  • 376BF4EE-9F75-4765-A576-BBDAD06721A4.jpeg
    376BF4EE-9F75-4765-A576-BBDAD06721A4.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello! Carol (7 years old) was just given a clean bill of health a week ago at the vet — though without fecal test. I rescued her & this was her first visit, & she finally got her talons trimmed! It took her a few days to realize she could move comfortably but now she’s ZOOMING.

However, over the past 3 days, she’s been pooping like twice a day. She normally only poops every other day. Her poops are minuscule & almost only urate. (pic attached lol sorry)

She usually ONLY poops in water but today she pooped in her tank. Then she pooped in water but it was just stringy urate. She looked like she was straining a ton. She doesn’t feel impacted, she was felt for it, so I don’t think that’s it. Her vent is swollen & looks almost prolapsed when she’s pooping but I think it’s because she’s trying so hard. I can’t imagine she has anything left to poop though? She’s eating a little but definitely less than before.

Her digging started & I thought, “Eggs?” but she rejected her huge dig box, & is now also glass surfing. Well kind of, bopping her nose into the glass over & over.

Trying to get her a fecal test ASAP but my vets out & none available local. Any ideas on how to at least keep her comfortable until I can get her antibiotics?

PS - she’s still super active! Running around & looking out the window & sleeping on my chest all good. The poop/digging is just the odd bit for me & definitely new. She also head bobbed for the first time & then pooped? Which was weird? Dominating the poop? Sorry this is so long! Thank you!!!
Please post a pic of the vent- gonna have someone look at her- NO ENEMAS! She may be gravid or impacted-- but I need some one that has more experience w/ this-

carolthecoont

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please post a pic of the vent- gonna have someone look at her- NO ENEMAS! She may be gravid or impacted-- but I need some one that has more experience w/ this-
I’ll try to get one tomorrow! It’s closed (like the picture above) unless she’s actually opening it to use it.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
& thank you so much!
Here is what she posted back to me

She's probably going to lay. They don't always lay the eggs right away. Put her back in the laybox a few times each day. Make sure the laybox is pretty deep and is partly hidden or covered.

LAYBOX

potting soil that doesn't have any type of
chemicals or fertilizers in it, mixed with sand, etc. Be sure it is at least 10-12 inches deep & that
the mix is damp enough to where it will hold up to her making a burrow but not sopping wet to
have standing water.

carolthecoont

Bearded Dragon Egg
Here is what she posted back to me

She's probably going to lay. They don't always lay the eggs right away. Put her back in the laybox a few times each day. Make sure the laybox is pretty deep and is partly hidden or covered.

LAYBOX

potting soil that doesn't have any type of
chemicals or fertilizers in it, mixed with sand, etc. Be sure it is at least 10-12 inches deep & that
the mix is damp enough to where it will hold up to her making a burrow but not sopping wet to
have standing water.
Definitely going to keep attempting the lay box. Thank you SO much. Mine isn’t that deep so getting a container ASAP! Would a vet visit stress her out more or be alright just to be safe? In contact with one now that’s an hour away. Attached a photo where she’s now developing stress marks on her tummy as of this morning. Hoping she’s not in pain.

Attachments

• 7B33ADBE-5E32-42A5-A27C-ACD5B50094FD.jpeg
    7B33ADBE-5E32-42A5-A27C-ACD5B50094FD.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Definitely going to keep attempting the lay box. Thank you SO much. Mine isn’t that deep so getting a container ASAP! Would a vet visit stress her out more or be alright just to be safe? In contact with one now that’s an hour away. Attached a photo where she’s now developing stress marks on her tummy as of this morning. Hoping she’s not in pain.
I would keep an eye on her the next few days see if she lays eggs- have you felt her abdomen to check for eggs? If she doesn't lay then maybe a vet visit might be in order- let's go over your lighting- uvb are you using a coil or tube and basking bulb is it a clear bright white bulb no off white or yellowish bulbs no colored- basking temps how are you taking them you want surface temps-- we need to make sure this is all correct as she will behave like this if it's off

carolthecoont

Bearded Dragon Egg
I was just telling the vet: Her hyperactivity really started when we put in the new vet recommended UVB light (26W, 10.0) when she had a 13W before. We thought it was just her getting used to it but she would move her back legs all wobbly & she head bobbed for the first time! We put the light in Friday & I changed it back about 2 hours after putting it in since she didn't seem to like it. We have a 13W, 10.0 Flukers coil in there (that she came with) still as white/purple ish as when it was given to me.

Basking temp space is 105 & lowest temp is around 70/75. Basking is a 150W.

She’s 7 years old & I actually found her being pawned off on Reddit. She was under a red light & on pilling felt, so she never dug around before. She had eggs for the first time (ever) the week we got her after I put Jurassic Natural Sand in a portion of the cage. It’s still in there with slate. I added a new hammock yesterday, & minus that bulb change that’s all that’s happened. She just pooped on the floor again(attached) but ate 3 superworms! Getting her fav veggies asap.

carolthecoont

Bearded Dragon Egg
I was just telling the vet: Her hyperactivity really started when we put in the new vet recommended UVB light (26W, 10.0) when she had a 13W before. We thought it was just her getting used to it but she would move her back legs all wobbly & she head bobbed for the first time! We put the light in Friday & I changed it back about 2 hours after putting it in since she didn't seem to like it. We have a 13W, 10.0 Flukers coil in there (that she came with) still as white/purple ish as when it was given to me.

Basking temp space is 105 & lowest temp is around 70/75. Basking is a 150W.

She’s 7 years old & I actually found her being pawned off on Reddit. She was under a red light & on pilling felt, so she never dug around before. She had eggs for the first time (ever) the week we got her after I put Jurassic Natural Sand in a portion of the cage. It’s still in there with slate. I added a new hammock yesterday, & minus that bulb change that’s all that’s happened. She just pooped on the floor again(attached) but ate 3 superworms! Getting her fav veggies asap.
I would keep an eye on her the next few days see if she lays eggs- have you felt her abdomen to check for eggs? If she doesn't lay then maybe a vet visit might be in order- let's go over your lighting- uvb are you using a coil or tube and basking bulb is it a clear bright white bulb no off white or yellowish bulbs no colored- basking temps how are you taking them you want surface temps-- we need to make sure this is all correct as she will behave like this if it's off

Attachments

• FEA6BD61-FEE5-407E-A4B7-9F21C73A761D.jpeg
    FEA6BD61-FEE5-407E-A4B7-9F21C73A761D.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14

carolthecoont

Bearded Dragon Egg
Sorry! Here it is.

Attachments

• 3E002518-D99B-4920-8FA9-B95963E9AB1C.jpeg
    3E002518-D99B-4920-8FA9-B95963E9AB1C.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
  • 8FE23400-B664-4B0B-A6B6-410DDC2881FC.jpeg
    8FE23400-B664-4B0B-A6B6-410DDC2881FC.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sorry! Here it is.
Ok here is some info on the UVB's your using
The 26w version of the UVB150 is similar in output to a T8 tube when using a reflector. The beam isn't as wide (depending on the length of the tube) but the output strength is very similar. If it was sitting about 6-8'' above the main basking area then it was likely providing adequate UVB. It's the lower wattage (13w) versions that cause concern since they aren't strong enough to provide adequate UVB at a safe distance.
To be honest I would ditch the coils all together ---- especially the purple one bulb - those bulbs can cause eye damage and long term eye damage - dragons have a 3rd eye on top of their heads for predators plus dragons like dark and cool to sleep colored bulbs disrupt the sleep --- that 13 watt your using is one of the worst UVB's you could use --- please put the 26 watt back in and then my strongest suggestion is to get a long tube fixture --- a 24" Zoo Med w/ a Reptisun 22" bulb 10.0 T 5 -- this fixture will come w/a 5.0 bulb keep it use it for a back up but the placement and distance is going to be different from the 10.0
https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...d-reptisun-10-0-uvb-t5?variant=26907418591332 or you can get this one
or this one 24" or 2ft https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster-nanotech-t5-ho-fixture-with-6400k-lamp.html
this is a good cause for all the behavior your getting --- as of now w/ the 13 watt shes getting NO UVB -- the 26 is better but it must be NO screen or unobstructed in a reflective dome and 6-8 inches above the basking decor --- please let me know if your going to change it out and if you do I will help you get the fixture placed in the tank w/ proper distance - this will depend on the screen on the tank where it can go
btw the poop looks fine
is the coil a Flukers brand or a Reptisun brand

carolthecoont

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok here is some info on the UVB's your using
The 26w version of the UVB150 is similar in output to a T8 tube when using a reflector. The beam isn't as wide (depending on the length of the tube) but the output strength is very similar. If it was sitting about 6-8'' above the main basking area then it was likely providing adequate UVB. It's the lower wattage (13w) versions that cause concern since they aren't strong enough to provide adequate UVB at a safe distance.
To be honest I would ditch the coils all together ---- especially the purple one bulb - those bulbs can cause eye damage and long term eye damage - dragons have a 3rd eye on top of their heads for predators plus dragons like dark and cool to sleep colored bulbs disrupt the sleep --- that 13 watt your using is one of the worst UVB's you could use --- please put the 26 watt back in and then my strongest suggestion is to get a long tube fixture --- a 24" Zoo Med w/ a Reptisun 22" bulb 10.0 T 5 -- this fixture will come w/a 5.0 bulb keep it use it for a back up but the placement and distance is going to be different from the 10.0
https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...d-reptisun-10-0-uvb-t5?variant=26907418591332 or you can get this one
or this one 24" or 2ft https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster-nanotech-t5-ho-fixture-with-6400k-lamp.html
this is a good cause for all the behavior your getting --- as of now w/ the 13 watt shes getting NO UVB -- the 26 is better but it must be NO screen or unobstructed in a reflective dome and 6-8 inches above the basking decor --- please let me know if your going to change it out and if you do I will help you get the fixture placed in the tank w/ proper distance - this will depend on the screen on the tank where it can go
btw the poop looks fine
is the coil a Flukers brand or a Reptisun brand
Changing now! It was sitting directly on the mesh top of her cage so it may have been too hot for her/too much all at once. The 13 is Flukers & 26 is Reptisun! Thinking of ways to prop it up now.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Changing now! It was sitting directly on the mesh top of her cage so it may have been too hot for her/too much all at once. The 13 is Flukers & 26 is Reptisun! Thinking of ways to prop it up now.
that bulb will need to be changed out in about 6 months I recommend 5 --- the Flukers is NO good --- the Reptisun is better but i would go for the long tube fixture --- make sure your getting basking temps w/ a digital probe thermometer -- surface temps 95-100

carolthecoont

Bearded Dragon Egg
that bulb will need to be changed out in about 6 months I recommend 5 --- the Flukers is NO good --- the Reptisun is better but i would go for the long tube fixture --- make sure your getting basking temps w/ a digital probe thermometer -- surface temps 95-100
I apologize for the wait. I’ve been talking to a vet but since she hasn’t stopped eating, they don’t think she should come in on emergency yet. I have one scheduled for the 21st. She laid a SINGLE egg in her tank after not accepting the lay box. It actually seemed to stress her out, she just climbed up to the top. I know a single egg is abnormal so I’ve been texting the vet basically hourly. She’s not lethargic, she’s active, but she’s definitely black bearded & has stress marks on her stomach. I soaked her after she didn’t want water because she looked so dehydrated & she seemed to enjoy it. I haven’t seen her try to dig again but I’m going to give the lay box perhaps more height & heat if she does. Any suggestions on how to introduce her? I can’t feel any eggs in her but she could be developing more. I have a new 13W in there at vet recommendation after looking at the tank height & where she is compared to the UVB. They thought the initial 26W surge could have triggered the egg. Poor girl. I feel like I somehow caused this stress with the light.

Attachments

• D1F8FEB1-9743-46D1-BD42-85D57A082EED.jpeg
    D1F8FEB1-9743-46D1-BD42-85D57A082EED.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I apologize for the wait. I’ve been talking to a vet but since she hasn’t stopped eating, they don’t think she should come in on emergency yet. I have one scheduled for the 21st. She laid a SINGLE egg in her tank after not accepting the lay box. It actually seemed to stress her out, she just climbed up to the top. I know a single egg is abnormal so I’ve been texting the vet basically hourly. She’s not lethargic, she’s active, but she’s definitely black bearded & has stress marks on her stomach. I soaked her after she didn’t want water because she looked so dehydrated & she seemed to enjoy it. I haven’t seen her try to dig again but I’m going to give the lay box perhaps more height & heat if she does. Any suggestions on how to introduce her? I can’t feel any eggs in her but she could be developing more. I have a new 13W in there at vet recommendation after looking at the tank height & where she is compared to the UVB. They thought the initial 26W surge could have triggered the egg. Poor girl. I feel like I somehow caused this stress with the light.
please keep up w/ the laybox I am sure she will lay more eggs --- and please GET RID of the 13 watt coil bulb they are BAD!!! here is some info on the 13 Watt bulb
I have had so many dragons die under this bulb --- I cannot express this enough!!!

Badwolfe

Hatchling Dragon
First of all before changing the UVB lighting can you tell us how big your vivarium is please because different sized vivariums require different sized UVB set ups - its certainly a case where one size does not fit all!

carolthecoont

Bearded Dragon Egg
First of all before changing the UVB lighting can you tell us how big your vivarium is please because different sized vivariums require different sized UVB set ups - its certainly a case where one size does not fit all!
Her tank is 1 foot by 4 in tall — 3.5 feet long. Her 4x2x2 from dubiaroaches.com has been held in shipping unfortunately but should be here ASAP!

Badwolfe

Hatchling Dragon
Her tank is 1 foot by 4 in tall — 3.5 feet long. Her 4x2x2 from dubiaroaches.com has been held in shipping unfortunately but should be here ASAP!
Ok once you receive and set up your 4ft viv I would definitely recommend you use the 39w 12% UVB Arcadia Pro T5 in your set up as a 24" tube will not provide enough coverage in a 4ft enclosure

carolthecoont

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok once you receive and set up your 4ft viv I would definitely recommend you use the 39w 12% UVB Arcadia Pro T5 in your set up as a 24" tube will not provide enough coverage in a 4ft enclosure
Gotcha! We have it pulled up along with the ZooMed ReptiSun 10.0 T5. If we got the Arcadia one now, could we raise it up to be appropriate for the smaller tank — or should we start by getting a smaller one? Thank you both!

Badwolfe

Hatchling Dragon
Gotcha! We have it pulled up along with the ZooMed ReptiSun 10.0 T5. If we got the Arcadia one now, could we raise it up to be appropriate for the smaller tank — or should we start by getting a smaller one? Thank you both!
The 39W Arcadia should fit in the 3 and 1/2 ft viv but make sure that you have hides in the viv so your dragon can get out of the light if it wants to.

A 24" inch tube is even a little small for a 3.5ft viv because the general rule of thumb for a UV tube is 2/3 minimum of viv length. I'd say just get the Arcadia now and fit it internally in the 4ft viv once you get it

Latest posts