• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pooped during sleep

rmaelenecat

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello all,
My beardie, Citrus, was exhibiting some strange behavior last night after her lights went off. She had already "tucked herself into bed" in her usual sleeping spot, but after lights out she had climbed off her perch and was sitting in front of the glass, looking like she wanted to come out of the cage. I took her out for a minute to snuggle, since she's a cuddler, get her back ready for bed and tucked her in again. Less than 30 minutes later, she had moved to an unusual sleep spot but we left her there to sleep overnight and all seemed well. Then, in the morning, my partner and I woke up to find that she had defecated in the spot she was sleeping in and had not moved away from the feces and had it on her underside, she had been sleeping in it. We both have work in the AM so he offered her her usual salad to eat and i moved her out of the feces towards the food in hopes she'd eat it. I got back from work and she had eaten the entire salad, so I gave her a bath to clean the fecal matter off of her and cleaned her cage really well. She is currently sitting in her basking spot and is acting fairly normal. Since last night, she has eaten, and been active, also showing no signs of lethargy and is very perceptive and aware of my movements around the room. Her coloration is normal and she is not exhibiting any signs of stress. Her last BM prior to this was about 3 or 4 days ago which is normal for her, and did not come with any unusual signs such as color or consistency. She has a vet appointment scheduled 1 week from now to check on her, but I am wondering if this something I should be worried about? Should I consider taking her to the ER vet? I have never seen or heard of this type of situation before, and besides the events of last night, she is not showing that anything may be wrong with her. Citrus is my ESA so I am very worried about her and I don't want her to get sick.
Thank you for the help!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello all,
My beardie, Citrus, was exhibiting some strange behavior last night after her lights went off. She had already "tucked herself into bed" in her usual sleeping spot, but after lights out she had climbed off her perch and was sitting in front of the glass, looking like she wanted to come out of the cage. I took her out for a minute to snuggle, since she's a cuddler, get her back ready for bed and tucked her in again. Less than 30 minutes later, she had moved to an unusual sleep spot but we left her there to sleep overnight and all seemed well. Then, in the morning, my partner and I woke up to find that she had defecated in the spot she was sleeping in and had not moved away from the feces and had it on her underside, she had been sleeping in it. We both have work in the AM so he offered her her usual salad to eat and i moved her out of the feces towards the food in hopes she'd eat it. I got back from work and she had eaten the entire salad, so I gave her a bath to clean the fecal matter off of her and cleaned her cage really well. She is currently sitting in her basking spot and is acting fairly normal. Since last night, she has eaten, and been active, also showing no signs of lethargy and is very perceptive and aware of my movements around the room. Her coloration is normal and she is not exhibiting any signs of stress. Her last BM prior to this was about 3 or 4 days ago which is normal for her, and did not come with any unusual signs such as color or consistency. She has a vet appointment scheduled 1 week from now to check on her, but I am wondering if this something I should be worried about? Should I consider taking her to the ER vet? I have never seen or heard of this type of situation before, and besides the events of last night, she is not showing that anything may be wrong with her. Citrus is my ESA so I am very worried about her and I don't want her to get sick.
Thank you for the help!
They often or can move in different spots to sleep - the most important thing in the tank is the surface basking temps and the UVB --- please tell me what those are NO coils for a UVB and surface basking temps need to be taken w a digital probe thermometer

rmaelenecat

Bearded Dragon Egg
They often or can move in different spots to sleep - the most important thing in the tank is the surface basking temps and the UVB --- please tell me what those are NO coils for a UVB and surface basking temps need to be taken w a digital probe thermometer
Correct, no coils and we use both digital thermometers as wells as a temp gun to monitor.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Correct, no coils and we use both digital thermometers as wells as a temp gun to monitor.
Where is your uvb? Inside the tank or top of screen? If the screen is a fine mesh like a screen door it needs to be inside the tank w/ a distance of 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor - screens will block approx 30% of the rays

rmaelenecat

Bearded Dragon Egg
Where is your uvb? Inside the tank or top of screen? If the screen is a fine mesh like a screen door it needs to be inside the tank w/ a distance of 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor - screens will block approx 30% of the rays
Good to know, it is outside of the tank above a fine mesh screen. We have had her for 2+ years and she's never had issues before so I didn't think her setup would be the problem for tummy issues, but I'll have to look into mounting her UVB internally

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Good to know, it is outside of the tank above a fine mesh screen. We have had her for 2+ years and she's never had issues before so I didn't think her setup would be the problem for tummy issues, but I'll have to look into mounting her UVB internally
You can use 3 M velcro fasteners --- fishing line -- long plastic zip ties but I recommend picture hanger wire its more easily bendable

Latest posts