• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Please Help....

Crystal

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
We added two new beardies to our collection on 17Dec2011. One was a little smaller than the other when we got them. I decided to seperate them on 21Dec2011. Since I seperated them, the smaller of the two is not eating, is not energetic and not very alert.

Basking area for her is appr. 112 degrees
She has a 10 UVB on her
Ambient temp is appr 80 degrees
Currently she is in a 10 gallon as she is only about 2.5-3 inches from snout to vent
* will be upgrading her tank when we vend at the expo on 7 Jan 2011.

Night before last I was informed to maybe try a little yogurt and I did, she licked it off her nose. Last night she actually licked it off the tip of the qtip.

The other beardie we bought with her is growing by leafs and bounds, eatling like a garbage disposal and is extremely alert.

I am not sure what else I can do for her. She seems to be a little more energetic than she was but I am worried.

Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Congrats on your new additions! The little one might be going through some relocation stress but should be back 2 normal in a few days. Definitely try 2 get a lower watt bulb for the 10 gallon enclosure, remember, they need a cool side to regulate their temperature & with a 10 gallon this is difficult to do. With all that heat she might be dehydrated & in need of a couple good baths.

Crystal

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thank you. I was informed that for babies, the heat should be 110-115, basking temps....

I took her back and they are taking her to the vet on Friday.

I wish I knew for sure what was going on because if it was something easily fixed with time and water, I would pick her back up in a heartbeat and give her all the time in the world....

She drinks when I mist her and I have given her a bath so I wonder if dehydration is in fact the cause?

They are supposed to call me with the diagnosis from the vet after the appt......

If someone could point me in the correct direction as to what is wrong with her, I woul dpick her up asap if it was something I could help with......

The other one I got with her is growing like a weed, eating like a garbage disposal, adn is a mess - alert and very entertaining......

Thank you all for your time

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Your Husbandry from your initial post seems fine. Babies DO like it hot.
Thank you. I was informed that for babies, the heat should be 110-115, basking temps
You were NOT misinformed

I hope the vet can sort this issue out. Are you getting her back? If so this is what i think

As long as your basking temps are between 105-115 its all good. Mine personally liked her temps at 120 when she was a baby
Cool side or ambient as you said at 80 is also fine (Most babies like it closer to 85)
UVB is spot on if she can get within 6-8 inches from it and it is NOT a coil
10 Gallons is a wee bit small, but shell be OK for a month or two till you can get a bigger one.

But one thing that got me thinking was her size good gosh 2.5-3 inches is way way to small to have been sold. Breeders generally go by a 6 inch / 6 week rule which ever comes first. Babies when smaller than this need a LOT of care and feeding is the bigest issue for breeders as many have eating issues in the beginning and only after a sucessfull eating routine has been established can they be sold.

I do have to say it was possibly relo stress BUT her size definately played a roe in her not eating as well

Night before last I was informed to maybe try a little yogurt and I did, she licked it off her nose

Just make sure it is SOY yoghurt as BD's can NOT tolerate any dairy products

Crystal

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thank you P.

Fancy is no longer than my middle finger from snout to vent so she as a tiny thing.

They will be calling me after the vet appt with the diagnosis and if I choose to, I can get her back.

Part of me wants to pick her up now. Went home and her lights were off, it really hit me hard when I went to give Sandy a bath and Fancy wasn't there.

It amazes me how quickly I can fall in love with a herp, or any animal for that matter...

When you say a coil regarding a UVB, what exactly does a coil mean?

I really appreciate your time in helping me. Sandy is doing great, she found out what a bath was and loved it for a while, when she was ready to get out, she let me know lol.

Roxy, my big, beautiful BTS loved to watch movies with us, come out as often as possible and literally shows an attitude if she wants out and I don't let her come out to "play"..

I breed leos and will be breeding cresties this coming season, it seems my passion is growing, right along with the size of herps I am falling for....

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
When you say a coil regarding a UVB, what exactly does a coil mean​

A coil resembles a energy saver, its a compact coil / curly type bulb.
Like this
Coil_UVB_10_0_Desert_Reptile_Compact_Fluorescent_Lamp.jpg

They are known to have issues with BD's.
The best UVB is the linear tube types, its a long bulb that comes in diff lengths and it should span at least 1/2 but preferably 3/4 the length of the enclosure. Like these
UVB-tube.jpg

I would let the shop take Fancy to the vet, a vet is always a good idea and then after go fetch her. Let us know what happens regarding the diagnosis
Always glad to help

Latest posts