• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

*PLEASE HELP* problems with behavior, lighting, and high humidity

chiyo

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello!
I recently got a baby beardie and when I got him, the lady selling him to us said that he was SUPER skinny and never had much of an appetite. I thought that a loss of appetite was an easy fix- but I found that its not. My bearded dragon would eat AT MOST 4 crickets a day plus some veggies. But yesterday he just stopped eating. No matter what I would do, he just wouldn't eat. And I noticed a change in his behavior, he isn't interested in the crickets I feed him, and whenever I held him he wouldn't move and just keep his eyes closed. Before this he would be curious and active, but now he isn't moving an inch. I really don't know what to do anymore. Is he sick? Should I bring him to the vet? The basking spot is 91F and the humidity is 45. Should I get a stronger basking light? (I have a 20G tank). I also heard from some people that a coil UVB isn't good- and I just want to confirm. Also, does anyone have tips to lower humidity, because when I turn off the basking light the humidity rises to over sixty. Should I invest in a dehumidifier?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello!
I recently got a baby beardie and when I got him, the lady selling him to us said that he was SUPER skinny and never had much of an appetite. I thought that a loss of appetite was an easy fix- but I found that its not. My bearded dragon would eat AT MOST 4 crickets a day plus some veggies. But yesterday he just stopped eating. No matter what I would do, he just wouldn't eat. And I noticed a change in his behavior, he isn't interested in the crickets I feed him, and whenever I held him he wouldn't move and just keep his eyes closed. Before this he would be curious and active, but now he isn't moving an inch. I really don't know what to do anymore. Is he sick? Should I bring him to the vet? The basking spot is 91F and the humidity is 45. Should I get a stronger basking light? (I have a 20G tank). I also heard from some people that a coil UVB isn't good- and I just want to confirm. Also, does anyone have tips to lower humidity, because when I turn off the basking light the humidity rises to over sixty. Should I invest in a dehumidifier?
The humidity is fine-- the UVB coil is not - please get a 24" fixture a Zoo Med the 5.0 bulb will be fine to use that comes w/ the fixture- for the 20 gallon tank--- use that till you upgrade your tank - you need a basking bulb that keeps temps 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- ASAP- the dragon has stopped eating because of improper basking temps and UVB - when you get the UVB post back on here when you get it so I can help you place it but you MUST do this now w/ him not eating he won't survive long -- keep him hydrated and get him outside for good UVB place him in a plastic tote- NO GLASS-- 15 minutes in direct / partial shade Sun-- make sure you supervise him especially if it's real hot- do this everyday till you get the new uvb--- try offering food after the time outside- make sure take the probe for the thermometer a place where he sits for basking 10 minutes or so then get the temp

chiyo

Bearded Dragon Egg
The humidity is fine-- the UVB coil is not - please get a 24" fixture a Zoo Med the 5.0 bulb will be fine to use that comes w/ the fixture- for the 20 gallon tank--- use that till you upgrade your tank - you need a basking bulb that keeps temps 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- ASAP- the dragon has stopped eating because of improper basking temps and UVB - when you get the UVB post back on here when you get it so I can help you place it but you MUST do this now w/ him not eating he won't survive long -- keep him hydrated and get him outside for good UVB place him in a plastic tote- NO GLASS-- 15 minutes in direct / partial shade Sun-- make sure you supervise him especially if it's real hot- do this everyday till you get the new uvb--- try offering food after the time outside- make sure take the probe for the thermometer a place where he sits for basking 10 minutes or so then get the temp
Thank you for the feedback! I'll let you know how he's doing after I get a new UVB

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you for the feedback! I'll let you know how he's doing after I get a new UVB
Post back on here when you get it and get your basking temps up - those things I have posted are the MOST IMPORTANT- things in the tank

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
The lighting is definitely the issue, please get the lighting sadie suggested, that is the lighting most of is use, the arcadias are also a good brand.

Attachments

• A31DBB06-2D5C-4739-96DE-51D3F7B6B287.jpeg
    A31DBB06-2D5C-4739-96DE-51D3F7B6B287.jpeg
    338.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 57B20E7B-948B-4AEB-8F35-C576A6B80D01.jpeg
    57B20E7B-948B-4AEB-8F35-C576A6B80D01.jpeg
    375 KB · Views: 3
  • 9C2C5B8F-85AE-4BBE-9F4C-F95F58E045BF.jpeg
    9C2C5B8F-85AE-4BBE-9F4C-F95F58E045BF.jpeg
    574.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 8F66F935-1A8A-476B-A6D4-53904AD55782.jpeg
    8F66F935-1A8A-476B-A6D4-53904AD55782.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
  • FC6CE983-6CF1-4C56-9BD2-E6F191630A5F.jpeg
    FC6CE983-6CF1-4C56-9BD2-E6F191630A5F.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 3

chiyo

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello!
**Update**
Hello everyone. Today I went to my local pet store to get new UVB lighting. In the pet store there was a vet office and I decided to bring my beardie so I can see if he has any problems with him. It turns out he had parasites, which explained why he wasn’t eating and was feeling down. When he was being diagnosed, he unfortunately passed away. Thank you for everyone who replied and helped me.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
**Update**
Hello everyone. Today I went to my local pet store to get new UVB lighting. In the pet store there was a vet office and I decided to bring my beardie so I can see if he has any problems with him. It turns out he had parasites, which explained why he wasn’t eating and was feeling down. When he was being diagnosed, he unfortunately passed away. Thank you for everyone who replied and helped me.
:( im sorry for your loss…

Latest posts