• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Please help! (not moving, spot on leg)

ava

Bearded Dragon Egg
Apologizes for how long this post is about to be, but I want to provide as much background information as possible. My bearded dragon, Frank, has been acting a bit strange the last couple weeks. It started when I noticed a small dark spot in his back left leg. I worried that it was some kind of infection so I immediately made a vet appointment for the weekend. The next day, he sat in the same spot for the entire day (I have a camera in there so I saw that he did not move at all). He emerged from his cave where he slept and just sat right outside it. His head was up, though, and he seemed alert the way he was looking around. I got home and brought food to him and he gladly ate his feeders and some greens. I gave him a bath, thinking he may be dehydrated, and put him back in his enclosure and he walked right back to where he was sitting before and he walked perfectly fine. I also did an electrolyte soak but he didn't drink any of the water. He seemed alert and his eyelids and jaw looked normal. I took him to the vet the next day and she said that he looked totally fine. His fecal test also came back negative. She told me that the spot was likely from stress but to come back if it got any bigger for blood testing. He has been staying with my parents at their house the last few weeks instead of my apartment so this could be the case and the spot also gets darker when I give him a bath. I felt a bit better about it after that but he kept doing the thing where he would just sit there all day and eat when I brought food to him. He has not pooped in a week now, even after giving him a couple blueberries hoping that would help. Yesterday, he sat in the same spot all day and did not eat anything from his bowl. Today he woke up and immediately walked over to his bowl and ate some dried insects and greens then went over to his basking spot, which is a lot more like his normal behavior. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Background: He is about 8 months old and I’ve had him for 5 months. He is 405 g and about 18.5". I use black soldier fly larvae as feeders and bok choy, collard greens, and carrots as greens. He also has access to dried grasshoppers and crickets throughout the day in his bowl. I don't use calcium supplements anymore since I changed him to this diet since soldier fly larvae and bok choy are both very high in calcium and he has been on this diet for several months. He gets a bath every 2-3 days. He is in a 40 gallon tank and I use a 100W heat bulb and a 10.0 UVB bulb. The UVB bulb is about 4 months old and the heat bulb was replaced about a month ago. I use a rubber reptile mat and he has access to hides and things to climb on which he usually uses daily. His basking spot is usually 95-105°F. Attached are several recent pictures of him from different angles. The spot is visible in the last picture. Thank you so so so much for any help! I really appreciate it!! I tried posting this on the bearded dragon reddit twice but since I've never posted anything on there, it wouldn't let the post go up.

Attachments

• IMG_0145.jpg
    IMG_0145.jpg
    338.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0148.jpg
    IMG_0148.jpg
    357.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0150.jpg
    IMG_0150.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0147.jpg
    IMG_0147.jpg
    570.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0146.jpg
    IMG_0146.jpg
    465.5 KB · Views: 6

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Apologizes for how long this post is about to be, but I want to provide as much background information as possible. My bearded dragon, Frank, has been acting a bit strange the last couple weeks. It started when I noticed a small dark spot in his back left leg. I worried that it was some kind of infection so I immediately made a vet appointment for the weekend. The next day, he sat in the same spot for the entire day (I have a camera in there so I saw that he did not move at all). He emerged from his cave where he slept and just sat right outside it. His head was up, though, and he seemed alert the way he was looking around. I got home and brought food to him and he gladly ate his feeders and some greens. I gave him a bath, thinking he may be dehydrated, and put him back in his enclosure and he walked right back to where he was sitting before and he walked perfectly fine. I also did an electrolyte soak but he didn't drink any of the water. He seemed alert and his eyelids and jaw looked normal. I took him to the vet the next day and she said that he looked totally fine. His fecal test also came back negative. She told me that the spot was likely from stress but to come back if it got any bigger for blood testing. He has been staying with my parents at their house the last few weeks instead of my apartment so this could be the case and the spot also gets darker when I give him a bath. I felt a bit better about it after that but he kept doing the thing where he would just sit there all day and eat when I brought food to him. He has not pooped in a week now, even after giving him a couple blueberries hoping that would help. Yesterday, he sat in the same spot all day and did not eat anything from his bowl. Today he woke up and immediately walked over to his bowl and ate some dried insects and greens then went over to his basking spot, which is a lot more like his normal behavior. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Background: He is about 8 months old and I’ve had him for 5 months. He is 405 g and about 18.5". I use black soldier fly larvae as feeders and bok choy, collard greens, and carrots as greens. He also has access to dried grasshoppers and crickets throughout the day in his bowl. I don't use calcium supplements anymore since I changed him to this diet since soldier fly larvae and bok choy are both very high in calcium and he has been on this diet for several months. He gets a bath every 2-3 days. He is in a 40 gallon tank and I use a 100W heat bulb and a 10.0 UVB bulb. The UVB bulb is about 4 months old and the heat bulb was replaced about a month ago. I use a rubber reptile mat and he has access to hides and things to climb on which he usually uses daily. His basking spot is usually 95-105°F. Attached are several recent pictures of him from different angles. The spot is visible in the last picture. Thank you so so so much for any help! I really appreciate it!! I tried posting this on the bearded dragon reddit twice but since I've never posted anything on there, it wouldn't let the post go up.
I can have someone take a look at the spot but I think its nothing - could be some dark shed that didnt come off -- your UVB is a coil or a long tube fixture and where in the tank is it at? I am not a fan of reddit --

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I heard back and this is what she has said
It may just be a slight skin discoloration or blemish , similar to what we ourselves develop at time. Small freckles, moles + skin tags can pop up on us as well as our pets. Just keep an eye on it, watch for change in size or texture, if it gets crusty or other obvious problems. For now it looks harmless though.
Just an FYI , with an open wound [ this is not ] you would avoid soaks because that could introduce bacteria in to it. Sometimes a short betadine/water soak is recommended for an open wound or just dabbing the wound with the mixture several times a day. But again, this is not an open wound. Electrolyte soaks are not a real health booster unless a dragon drinks it and are unnecessary, especially if a dragon has a good diet like Frank does.

ava

Bearded Dragon Egg
It may just be a slight skin discoloration or blemish , similar to what we ourselves develop at time. Small freckles, moles + skin tags can pop up on us as well as our pets. Just keep an eye on it, watch for change in size or texture, if it gets crusty or other obvious problems. For now it looks harmless though.
Just an FYI , with an open wound [ this is not ] you would avoid soaks because that could introduce bacteria in to it. Sometimes a short betadine/water soak is recommended for an open wound or just dabbing the wound with the mixture several times a day. But again, this is not an open wound. Electrolyte soaks are not a real health booster unless a dragon drinks it and are unnecessary, especially if a dragon has a good diet like Frank does.
Thank you so much! My UVB is a tube but the fixture I have it in can’t go inside the enclosure. I ordered an Arcadia T5
Thank you so much! My UVB is a tube but the fixture I have it in can’t go inside the enclosure so it’s on top of the mesh. I ordered an Arcadia T5 12% bulb a few days ago so I can try and attach it inside the enclosure and I’m hoping that will get him more active. I was also worried this could be a calcium issue. Do you think I should still be dusting his food with calcium or giving him a supplement even though it’s BSFL?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you so much! My UVB is a tube but the fixture I have it in can’t go inside the enclosure. I ordered an Arcadia T5

Thank you so much! My UVB is a tube but the fixture I have it in can’t go inside the enclosure so it’s on top of the mesh. I ordered an Arcadia T5 12% bulb a few days ago so I can try and attach it inside the enclosure and I’m hoping that will get him more active. I was also worried this could be a calcium issue. Do you think I should still be dusting his food with calcium or giving him a supplement even though it’s BSFL?
Yes but you need to get the uvb in the tank he's not getting enough uvb to absorb / synthesize the calcium he's getting- you can use long plastic zip ties or fishing line or picture wire hangers -- you may have to snip the screen to fit the stuff your using - the tank is it a Zen?

ava

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes but you need to get the uvb in the tank he's not getting enough uvb to absorb / synthesize the calcium he's getting- you can use long plastic zip ties or fishing line or picture wire hangers -- you may have to snip the screen to fit the stuff your using - the tank is it a Zen?
The tank is Thrive.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The tank is Thrive.
Ok not familiar w/ the screen on those tanks- zens have two bars that run width on the screen inside that can be utilized for hanging- I would say snip the screen to get the material your gonna used - picture wire hangers are bendable-- I recommend that

ava

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok not familiar w/ the screen on those tanks- zens have two bars that run width on the screen inside that can be utilized for hanging- I would say snip the screen to get the material your gonna used - picture wire hangers are bendable-- I recommend that
Thank you! I’ll do that once the bulb arrives.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you! I’ll do that once the bulb arrives.
1712960801488.png

Not sure what they used it almost looks like a coat hanger --- but you want the UVB fixed first w/ appropriate distance - your basking decor is easier to move than the UVB

ava

Bearded Dragon Egg
A little Frank update: I set up his new UVB and yesterday he had a very large BM and has been so much more active since. He’s gone back to basking (this picture is from today from his tank camera) and has been running and jumping all around his tank like he usually does. He still has the spot on his leg but it doesn’t look any different than when I first noticed it so I’m not too worried about it at the moment. Thank you so much for your help! He seems so much happier now.

Attachments

• IMG_0268.jpeg
    IMG_0268.jpeg
    550.8 KB · Views: 6

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
A little Frank update: I set up his new UVB and yesterday he had a very large BM and has been so much more active since. He’s gone back to basking (this picture is from today from his tank camera) and has been running and jumping all around his tank like he usually does. He still has the spot on his leg but it doesn’t look any different than when I first noticed it so I’m not too worried about it at the moment. Thank you so much for your help! He seems so much happier now.
Good hes moving around and basking and active --- good sign -- the spot on the leg sounds like its just a blemish / freckle

Latest posts