• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

please help, newbie beardie owner

Lacy Reyes

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a 20 gallon tank for my baby beardie, shes a baby right now, and I know I will have to upgrade soon. I just had a few questions. Shes healthy as far as I can tell. She eats like a little piggy and loves her basking spot. The only thing I don't have atm is a uvb light, which I know is crucial- I had spent all my money on a zilla brand desert kit and was told it came with a uvb light. I'm getting one asap. I have been taking my baby outside in the meantime, not in her glass tank. Shes still a little skittish if me, I've picked her up a few times but she only allows it for about a minute or two. Which I understand because shes only been here two days. I hand fed her some greens she took with no problem. She has a rock on the cooler side she found a small gap under and that's where she sleeps all night. But I think my zilla thermometer may be off, I had the 50 watt the kit came with in the basking spot and the temp was 90, I know babies need about 105-108. So I put a 100 watt household light on the basking spot but the temp hasn't moved, except at night it goes to 80. I put a black bulb on her at night. The temp is still at about 91, but my baby is basking (well more of a sitting up straight but supporting herself with he front legs off to the side of her log not at the highest point which is about 7-8 inches from the light. Shes not gaping alot but I've seen her do it for a second about three times and she did it for about 10 seconds earlier. Also earlier I think she jumped at her reflection and hit the glass. Or me.. It was in my direction. I heard a thump and she was off her basking spot and in the floor next to the glass facing at me. How can I bond with her? Do you think th temp of a 100 watt household light in a 20 gallon is to much? Its on a mesh top.

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Temps need to be 105 - 110 for one you have. NO hest at night unless it drops below 65 degree. And if it does NO coloured lights use a ceramic light IF required.

Yes you really really need a UVB.

To bond be patient. Takes time but patients r a virtue.

And get yourself prob thermometers and use right at basking spot so u get pin point readings.

Lacy Reyes

Bearded Dragon Egg
the thermometer is reading 98 now, when I tap it it goes to about 101. Ugh, its brand new. I really want the best for Barbie. I'm going to go order a uvb long light for inside her cage. Is it safe for her to sleep in a small space under her rock on the cool side? Also, she seems a little upset with her reflection, jumping at it and she scratches the side of her tank. She has darker stripe like on her chin and chest. She lets me hold her sometimes for about a minute..

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
She can sleep anywhere in the tank at night. You don't require night heat unless it drops below 65 degree.

You should have 2 prob thermometers. One under basking light and other on cool side.

Also maybe wrap hole tank with paper towel minis the front so back and sides. See if that helps.

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Black lines in belly etc r stress marks. My one beardie is in a 20 gallon tank right now also the starter kit purchased from petsmart. He is almost now 14 inches and probably won't move him for still awhile yet.

Lacy Reyes

Bearded Dragon Egg
thanks for the links, I plan to read each and every one. And what can I do about the stress marks? Is that why she barely lets me hold her? I was going to do printer paper, but I'll see if we have paper towels. Shes so cute she sleeps so soundly. Last night she fell asleep in the corner of her tank, I think she tired herself out. And I checked the temp last night without the heat. It wad about 67, so I thought maybe that was cutting it a little close. Also the humidity goes waaay up. Almost to 89...

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
Mmmm...I don't know what to say about the humidity issue, but until you get 2 dependable thermometers you're kinda at a disadvantage as to what to do about bulb wattage and nighttime temp issues. As far as bonding they can take days or even a week or two to acclimate to their new environment. Try not handling too much for a few days and see if you notice the stress marks disappearing. Handle when you need to, obviously...I'm just saying give more quiet time to "settle in". Hand feeding can help the bonding process, just not too much otherwise they can get spoiled VERY quickly ;)

Lacy Reyes

Bearded Dragon Egg
she keeps scratching at the walls of her aquarium. Shell stop and hold herself sitting up and look for at me for a second or two. Shes not puffing up or turning darker. She doesn't do that when I'm in her tank either, her stress marks went away a little when I gave her a bath, she just layed there, scratched the side of the tub once though. We had a moment (*: she climbed up my arm to my shoulder after her bath and I sat there petting her and she fell asleep, I walked her back to her cage. :D

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
If you click on quick reply you can not post pictures.

Top right corner there are 3 dots. Click it. Than click reply. Once in there click the same 3 dots and than click attach picture.

And should be good to go

Lacy Reyes

Bearded Dragon Egg
My baby <3

Attachments

• WP_20140216_025.jpg
    WP_20140216_025.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 24

Lacy Reyes

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a windows phone maybe my layouts different but it doesn't show me any picture when I open my profile.

Latest posts