• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Please help. Mixed info everywhere! Need to feed my baby

BeardiePrincess7

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello. I have a new beardie would say based on his lengthmaybe 3 to 4 months old. He is eating size small crickets and I always choose the smaller ones of the smalls if that makes sense. I would like to switch his diet to Dubia roaches. What size would I need? For now and how many do I feed? I’m sure there is a thread on this but there are so many threads I’m getting lost. Also can he eat small super worms at this age/size? I am feeding him a mixture of greens that are appropriate but he does not really like them but I keep trying. Thanks so much!

P.s. I read they should not have moss in the cage but this is a vine type thing and he keeps nipping at it but will he actually eat it? Should I remove it he seems to enjoy climbing on it but I don’t want him to eat it...it’s plastic and I don’t think he actually can eat it but I don’t really know.

Attachments

• C457F452-18B6-4194-95FD-9F1711EC1483.jpeg
    C457F452-18B6-4194-95FD-9F1711EC1483.jpeg
    831.1 KB · Views: 29

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hello. I have a new beardie would say based on his lengthmaybe 3 to 4 months old. He is eating size small crickets and I always choose the smaller ones of the smalls if that makes sense. I would like to switch his diet to Dubia roaches. What size would I need? For now and how many do I feed? I’m sure there is a thread on this but there are so many threads I’m getting lost. Also can he eat small super worms at this age/size? I am feeding him a mixture of greens that are appropriate but he does not really like them but I keep trying. Thanks so much!

P.s. I read they should not have moss in the cage but this is a vine type thing and he keeps nipping at it but will he actually eat it? Should I remove it he seems to enjoy climbing on it but I don’t want him to eat it...it’s plastic and I don’t think he actually can eat it but I don’t really know.
Hi,
He should be eating 30-60 Plus crickets a day!! He’s either got the wrong temps/humidity in his cage or the wrong bulbs in the cage. They like there enclosure lite and bright that’s what gives them energy plus the right temps. Get the ZooMed basking bulb; 20-30 gallon tank a 75 watt bulb and a 40 gallon tank needs a 100Watt bulb. DONOT use the coil, Red or Black Bulbs ever!! Never will u use those in your life; they burn the dragons eyes super bad for them. I knwk petco or Petsmart sells the cage/kit and it has a black bulb or a coil one-So wrong!! You also need a UVB light the best and only one to get order it on amazon is the: Reptisun 10.0 T5. The T5 is brighter and the 10.0 emits more UVB. They need it to digest the Calcium/Food & for energy and life. Feed him 2-3 times a day and feed crickets till he’s done. Dubias are great get any size; big is good mediums or larges feed him the whole container of 25. At this age they eat 80 prcnt protein & 20prcnt veggies/greens. At this age they need lots of protein. Crickets also must be dusted in calcium with D3 buy the Repcal; take a little spoon & lightly dust them over the crickets and shake it they should be powder white like flour was sprinkled on them. Always Feed them in the mornign after 1hour or later of basking they eat when they are warm not cold. I start with a bowl of mixed veggies cut up into teeny pieces & the dish has to be low so he can eat and cut up small. The best greens are dandelions, collard greens, mustard greens, green beans, yellow squash, snap peas, butternut squash and zucchini. Mix 2-3 greens and 2-3 veggies or 2-2. Then after feed crickets and later a new bowl of veggies and more crickets or Dubias then crickets again. NO superworms wait till he is 2years old and that’s as a treat but yes very good for them maybe 1-2 per day alongside crickets when he’s an adult. Temps need to be right 105-110. Not higher!! Humidity needs to be 30-40. It can drop lower but never go past 40 if so, open windows to lower the humidity and to raise the humidity then Place a small water bowl in his cage. Bath him twice a week or more for 15min minimum in warm chlorine free water. So filtered water or bottled water you heat it in the microwave and get a rectangular Tupperware small box from staples and bath him that’s how they stay hydrated and are able to poop. Or buy Reptisafe it’s 2drops for every cup when u bath him and u can place one drop in his drinking bowl that’s if u don’t have a filtered water system at your house Play mediation music and rub his head from front to back to make him feel comfy. He should be pooping 1-2 times a day. The white is urine the dark is poop. If the white stuff is yellow he’s dehydrated but baths 2/week or more in the summer always. That should make a huge difference. Also u can place the Dubias Like 2-3 in his water bowl that gets him to dive & drink; if it works place all The Dubias in there and bring him to the bowl first shake it in front of them so they see it & he will eat/drink;) hope this helps. Also at night he likes quiet; close all blinds, NO lights at nite. I’m the winter u can get a ceramic light this emits no light ask will keep the tank warm. At night temp should never fall below 70 always check it in the mornign of it does u can use the ceramic heater lite at nite to keep tank warm. It emits Zero light. Get him a log hideaway it’s at all the part stores that way he can go under it to sleep but make sure all is dark for them.

BeardiePrincess7

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi,
He should be eating 30-60 Plus crickets a day!! He’s either got the wrong temps/humidity in his cage or the wrong bulbs in the cage. They like there enclosure lite and bright that’s what gives them energy plus the right temps. Get the ZooMed basking bulb; 20-30 gallon tank a 75 watt bulb and a 40 gallon tank needs a 100Watt bulb. DONOT use the coil, Red or Black Bulbs ever!! Never will u use those in your life; they burn the dragons eyes super bad for them. I knwk petco or Petsmart sells the cage/kit and it has a black bulb or a coil one-So wrong!! You also need a UVB light the best and only one to get order it on amazon is the: Reptisun 10.0 T5. The T5 is brighter and the 10.0 emits more UVB. They need it to digest the Calcium/Food & for energy and life. Feed him 2-3 times a day and feed crickets till he’s done. Dubias are great get any size; big is good mediums or larges feed him the whole container of 25. At this age they eat 80 prcnt protein & 20prcnt veggies/greens. At this age they need lots of protein. Crickets also must be dusted in calcium with D3 buy the Repcal; take a little spoon & lightly dust them over the crickets and shake it they should be powder white like flour was sprinkled on them. Always Feed them in the mornign after 1hour or later of basking they eat when they are warm not cold. I start with a bowl of mixed veggies cut up into teeny pieces & the dish has to be low so he can eat and cut up small. The best greens are dandelions, collard greens, mustard greens, green beans, yellow squash, snap peas, butternut squash and zucchini. Mix 2-3 greens and 2-3 veggies or 2-2. Then after feed crickets and later a new bowl of veggies and more crickets or Dubias then crickets again. NO superworms wait till he is 2years old and that’s as a treat but yes very good for them maybe 1-2 per day alongside crickets when he’s an adult. Temps need to be right 105-110. Not higher!! Humidity needs to be 30-40. It can drop lower but never go past 40 if so, open windows to lower the humidity and to raise the humidity then Place a small water bowl in his cage. Bath him twice a week or more for 15min minimum in warm chlorine free water. So filtered water or bottled water you heat it in the microwave and get a rectangular Tupperware small box from staples and bath him that’s how they stay hydrated and are able to poop. Or buy Reptisafe it’s 2drops for every cup when u bath him and u can place one drop in his drinking bowl that’s if u don’t have a filtered water system at your house Play mediation music and rub his head from front to back to make him feel comfy. He should be pooping 1-2 times a day. The white is urine the dark is poop. If the white stuff is yellow he’s dehydrated but baths 2/week or more in the summer always. That should make a huge difference. Also u can place the Dubias Like 2-3 in his water bowl that gets him to dive & drink; if it works place all The Dubias in there and bring him to the bowl first shake it in front of them so they see it & he will eat/drink;) hope this helps. Also at night he likes quiet; close all blinds, NO lights at nite. I’m the winter u can get a ceramic light this emits no light ask will keep the tank warm. At night temp should never fall below 70 always check it in the mornign of it does u can use the ceramic heater lite at nite to keep tank warm. It emits Zero light. Get him a log hideaway it’s at all the part stores that way he can go under it to sleep but make sure all is dark for them.
Hey! You have been amazing! I have followed your advice and beardie is doing well! He has been eating size small crickets and we want to switch him to dubia. So I got the 5/8” medium from dubiaroaches.com, but these things are kinda big! They’re much wider than crickets and I don’t want him impacted! Is there something that makes these easier to digest than crickets? Is size 5/8” medium ok for a beardie eating size small crickets? I also got him medium bsfl. Just checking these are also ok to give. Thank you!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 15

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey! You have been amazing! I have followed your advice and beardie is doing well! He has been eating size small crickets and we want to switch him to dubia. So I got the 5/8” medium from dubiaroaches.com, but these things are kinda big! They’re much wider than crickets and I don’t want him impacted! Is there something that makes these easier to digest than crickets? Is size 5/8” medium ok for a beardie eating size small crickets? I also got him medium bsfl. Just checking these are also ok to give. Thank you!!
Hi; Dubias are fine I get them from petco or Petsmart typically that size is good. Only thing that impacts him is mealworms!! Do not even feed him that. He’s a baby right? Feed a mix of Dubias and crickets everyday they need lots of protein till they get to be adults at 1.5-2yrs old and do the veggies also right now and when he is older u can add superworks but that’s when he’s 1.5-2yts old. Also a bowl of the staple greens dandelions, collard greens, dank peas, mustard grreens, yellow squash and butternut squash a mix of 4-5 everyday and veggies diced up small that should be given in the AM one hour after basking then crickets an hour later try and feed them at the same time every mornign/afternoon and nite if u Can I do 10-veggies, then crickets at 11 or 12 then crickets at 2pm/3pm them crickets/Dubias at 6pm or 7pm.

Silver dragons

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hello, since your bearded dragon is so small, I would suggest cutting the dubia roaches in half. You don't want to feed anything that is bigger then the space between their eyes. Normally you can start feeding hornworms at about a year old. Happy bearded dragon keeping!

BeardiePrincess7

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey! I started buying smaller dubia 3/8” and Thor gobbles them up. Growing like a champ and shedding a ton. Ugh. But growing well. Also eats bsfl and crickets on occasion. Thank you!