• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Please help a newbie

snbuckeye

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hello, I need a little help. My son just recieved a baby beardie for his birthday about 3 days ago. Its something he wanted for a couple of years and my husband agreed to help with taking care of it. And I know I need to know more because my husband will be out to sea and my son will be in school. I only finally agreed to get one when I was told to hold one (which took a little convincing) and once I held one I fell in love with them!!!

When we bought the beardie I was told he/she was about 6 weeks old. They also told me that it only eats 5-6 crickets a day. Now Ive been trying to research this and Im finding its not enough. Is this true? Do I really need to amp up the crickets? I also put new veggies in the cage everyday. No I wasnt given any info really about veggies or how they need to eat it so I went into my mother mode as if I had a baby again and put spinich, cilantro and carrots in a food processor and put it in a bowl with the pellets that came with the kit. "Santa" (what my son named it) doesnt seem to want anything to do with the veggies which I was told this could happen until it gets a little older. Am I offering the food in an acceptable form? or does it need to just be finly cut? I guess Im just worried about the choking possibility. Oh I also dust the crickets with that powder stuff (ok Ill get better at this and the names of all this stuff, I promise) Is it safe to process the veggies at one time and freeze it until I need it?

And any recomendations on how to buy crickets? we bought 50 of the tiny ones 3 days ago and a lot of them died. we bought the little orange cube thingys for them to feed on. Do I need to put them in a certian place? or is it just pet store brands. Should I buy them from breaders online?

Do I need to spray Santa with water everyday? every other day? should I keep one of the bowls with water in it or does it not even need to be in the cage?

Ok, Im so sorry for all the questions. I just want to make sure SAnta gets all the right care.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello and welcome. Congrats on the baby! No worries about your questions. How else would you learn?

Ok. Let me try and answer them. First, take a deep breath. It sounds like you are doing fine.

Crickets - Yes, you should offer more than 5 crickets a day. All food should be no larger than the space between your beardie's eyes. For babies, you should offer proteins (crickets) 2-3 times a day. You should let him eat as much as he wants in a 10-15 minute period. Any left overs should be taken out. I bought mine fresh from a local store. It was convenient for me. You can try storing your crickets. I'll let the other chat about that. You could also try dubia roaches. Many on here are fans of them. I've never tried them.

Salad - You should offer salad daily. Many babies will not touch it, but still offer it. Once they reach the 1 year mark, it becomes their daily staple. Be careful with kale. It can be offered on occassion, but it is not good for daily feeding. I avoid it altogether. I'll provide a link to our caresheet. It lists some veggies and greens to try out. I wouldn't freeze them. They loose nutritional value. As long as the pieces are smaller than the space between your beardie's eyes, you are good. If you can't chop them up daily, try storing a couple days worth in an open contianer in your fridge.

Water - Give Santa a daily bath. The water should be as warm as human baby bath water (95F). You can bathe him in a tub, container, kitchen sink, etc. Fill the water up as high as his shoulders. Beware, some beardies do not like their baths at first. But keep it up. Once Santa reaches about 6 months, you can bathe him about 3 times a week. and once he is over a year old, once a week. Spraying with water is good. He may start lapping at the spary bottle. You can keep a water dish if you want. Just be careful of pooping in it, etc.

Ok, here's the caresheet. Give it a read. It discusses temps, lighting, substrate, etc. Let us know if you have any questions
Bearded Dragon Care

snbuckeye

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thank you so much Renee ;D

Ok so I went out and bought a lot more crickets. I really need to perfect the whole get the cricket out, dust it, feed Santa. I think I have about a doz of them now roaming the house. :p

Should I feed the crickets something special too? I keep seeing "gut loaded" what exactly does that mean?

I also gave Santa a bath last night. First he seemed ok, other times he wanted to run but then would just lay there again.

So my husband set the whole tank up. Hes the one that knows the ins and outs of the tank but last night I noticed a couple of crickets in the tank so I went to take them out. I moved this pellet stuff my husband put in for the bedding. It came with the tank kit we bought and guess what? About 6 more crickets under all that! So Santa isnt even eating as much as I thought. So what is the best bedding for a 6 weeker? and if hes not eating as much as I thought any ideas on how to get him to eat? Is he still adjusting? I did notice new poo in the tank this morning so Im glad theres something going on.

Ok I know this is probably the same old boring questions. I am trying to go thru the posts also. I really did fall in love with this little guy/gal and want to make sure its getting everything he needs

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No worries on the questions. I'd be more worried if you didn't ask them. And I think we have all spotted a cricket lurking around a hallway at one time or another. I think Bernie is the reason our cricket population is pretty bad outside. My hubby would throw the uneaten crickets out the sliding glass door.

Pellets. No they are not any good. As you have found out, crickets hide out in it. It is also not good for your beardie to injest and can harbor bacteria. For a youngun, I would recommend papertowels, newspaper or non-adhesive shelf liner. You will find that they poop a lot! lol..

When they are older, you can get some pretty ceremic tile. It is easy to clean and provides a nice atmosphere for your beardie.

Gut loading. You can feed the crickets the same veggies you want Santa to eat. This way Santa is getting the good nutrients in him from the crickets. Also, calcium (the dusting) should be done about 3 times a week.

Yes, they are easy to fall for. We actually went to buy a tree frog, but came home with Bernie instead.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
welcome aboard. Sounds like Renee covered most everything. Leaves me to ask for pics!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

snbuckeye

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Awesome! Paper towels or newspaper sounds good to me right now! sounds like a much easier clean up! Ill do all the rearranging the cage when my son gets home so he can watch Santa.

And yes I will get pictures!

DragonMom

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I would second what both Renee and Gina said! Welcome! Keep asking questions! You'll get your answers here! ;D

Latest posts