• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Play sand

stinax182

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
If i get a baby, could i use sifted play sand if i don't feed him in the enclosure? I would take him out and feed him in a10g tank. Do they lick the sand like other lizards and is that enough to cause impaction?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Yes they lick the sand. Children's washed and sifted play sand is the best to use if you are going to use sand. Things to keep in mind, impaction is going to happen if you don't have a well hydrated dragon. The other risk with sand is eye infections from getting sand stuck under one of their lids. They may also inhale any sand dust.

stinax182

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Okay, thank you. I'm planning on soaking often but if i get a small baby instead of a juvenile/young adult i will just use paper towels.... Better safe than sorry. Is there a certain age or size that i can use sand? I've read that sand is alright for adults but those problems seem like something that doesn't have to do with size/age. Or is it simply because adults tend to be smart enough to stay hydrated?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Paper towel is great substrate easy to clean up. I always read you should wait until they are 15 inches to put on sand. An adult dragon isn't going to be any better at keeping itself hydrated. My 2 year old does not eat her greens and refuses to open her mouth for anything. Luckily she is huge and her jowls hang down making her mouth slightly open at the corners so when I drip water on her nose it runs down into her mouth!

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
When i got my first beardie Diego he.can with sand n he was only 5 months wen i got him so he wasnt tiny. But beardies like to lick there.surroundings to get a taste n feel of things n i noiticed Diego licking the sand quite often so i changed it to tile well 3/4 of his viv is tile and a 1/4 where his basking light is has a few basking rocks an a bit of a dand pit coz he likes to dig. But we feed on the.tile end to stop he eating any with bugs and its so much easier.to clean. I found a few dead bugs and rotten salad deep in the sand wen i removed it so no matter hiw well u pick up poo n clean its very hars to make sure it done perfectly. Each to there own n i wudnt say no to sand but i wudnt have the.full viv sand maybe just a small amount coz beardie do like to dig :)

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
Tile is very gud.easy to clean n keeps ur temps up :) cheap to buy aswel :)

Latest posts