• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Plans for my new project. Opinions?

milo0

Hatchling Dragon
I've officially decided to redo Milo's cage completely, this time- custom build. I have him in a 36" L X 18" W X 24" H glass exo terra but I screwed up and didn't think about the height, so I had to manually attach the UV hood inside the tank from the screened top. It looks just awful, so my OCD kicked in and decided it was time to completely redo it.

I drew up some plans and was wondering if you guys could suggest anything else, whether it be decorations, dimensions, material, etc.

Front
cj42v.jpg

It'll be built out of wood with a glass sliding door, and I'll be attempting the custom rocks with the Styrofoam and grout. The background and sides will be filled with "rocks" for a cliff/canyon effect. I'll also be adding a little tunnel under the basking spot so he can explore, and I'll make it to where I can lift it up so I can see inside. I want as natural as possible to make him feel at home. I'm still trying to figure out how I can place the lighting... I was wanting to like, carve the top and make a ledge to where the hood will just sit in snug and hit him directly rather than having it sit on a screen... Same with the heat lamp. Just not sure if I have the expertise to do that (this is my first time building anything to this extent...)

287kya1.jpg

The pics are mainly for measurements and such, but what do you think so far?

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like a fantastic idea! Only one suggestion would be to put the uvb near the basking spot. Be sure to post pics when this is done/

milo0

Hatchling Dragon
Yeah, that's what I need to figure out still. I'll probably just cut a rectangle at the top a bit smaller than the hood and just have it sit over so there's nothing blocking the light, and do the same with the heat bulb.

Most definitely! I plan on updating each step in case anyone else needs a little guide in the future to doing something similar. Hoping to start in the next couple of weeks, depending on my studies.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Making an awful lot of hiding spots for them there feeders ;), particularly when most BDs so rarely use a hide, heck I don't even have a hide anymore in most of my enclosures. Just wondering how practical it would be, although it would be pleasing to the human eye.

milo0

Hatchling Dragon
Yeah I've been rethinking the hide and just going with the tunnel. He used his hide all the time before I redid his enclosure with branches and rocks. I may just build a mound of rocks instead of that hide, and he can use the tunnel if he wants to hide. I'm thinking of adding some driftwood too to fill up the cage a bit since he'll have a ton of free space.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That is an issue with many keepers, they provide a spacious enclosure, then clutter it with junk, providing many hiding spots for the feeders & making it difficult to clean. In my experience, there is nothing better than the K.I.S.S. (Keep It simple Stupid) method of furnishing a BD's enclosure. BDs do not need or want clutter. They are quite happy with the basics, the rest is all fluff for the keepers eye candy & viewing pleasure, provides very little benefit to the BD, if not actually detrimental to their husbandry.

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
gy2aqa2e.jpg

That should give you an idea of what these guys really need. Demani always seems comfortable in there. I am planning on building a new enclosure for him though. I just think the 55 gallon is too narrow, even though he's been in there most of his life. I'll post Aussie's sometime, too

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
9yva6a8e.jpg

Pretty simple, yes. Oh, and don't worry about the "hot rock". It's not plugged in, she just really likes it. It's like her security blanket.

milo0

Hatchling Dragon
I won't go too crazy with filling it with things, the driftwood idea was mainly going to sit on the ricks to act like a little ramp.

See for me, natural looks is extremely important... I have a natural and simple set up now, but I'm not happy with it at all. I'll post a picture of it soon when I can... to me, it's just very bland and not as nice as it could be for him.

Latest posts