• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pinworms and Coccidia

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Maya has it again. They said she reinfected herself. They said to remove all the bedding and clean her tank 100%. I have been using boiling water and steam to clean her tank.

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Unless you can actually fill your enclosure with boiling water, youre unlikely to kill everything that way. Best to get a quat cleaner like F10. Its perfectly safe to use with reptiles and will kill everything in there.

I will say though that its not absolutely necessary to rid your animal entirely of these parasites. Sometimes all the treatments actually do more harm than good by stressing the animal out and disrupting normal feeding and immune function. Their immune system is the best defense for keeping these particular parasites in check.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks. I'm going to have throw out her piece of wood. I didn't get it from outside. It was from a petshop.

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
No need to throw it away, just bake it in the oven at around 200 or, since its winter, wrap it in plastic and leave it outside overnight to freeze solid. Either will kill it.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It's not really freezing yet here. I've baked it at 350 when she had it first. Baked it for 2-3 hours and an hour off to cool.