• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pinkies ?

Snickkerz

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I was watching tv and the thought occured to me if they can eat pinkies ?
I think i heard it somewhere that they can, but i could be mixing it up with something else...
I just wanted to make sure...
and if they can, how many ? and how often ? what are the deets ? :)

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi,

Yes adults can eat them although it is not advisable due to the bones in the pinkies that may cause impactation if not digested propperly.
Also pinkies have an extremely high fat content, which can lead to illness (fatty liver disease) in your dragon.

Snickkerz

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
So i guess they would be good then as a treat once and a while ? and not a consistant diet... :p

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes, if you choose to feed them it would be best to offer it to adult dragons and once a month or less. They can live just fine without them and there are a wider variety of treat items out there that won't cost you nearly as much as a pinky mouse

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have to nix that one. Personally I don't think it is a good choice even for an adult beardie. First, their fat content is very high. Adult definitely don't need and shouldn't have that much fat. Also, they are known to have disease (although you could say that for all live food). Also, for all of a beardies young life they should NEVER have anything larger than the space between their eyes...now as an adult you are going to give them something that is so much bigger than that. I just don't think it is a good "treat".

Snickkerz

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Okaay this is good to know...
so i guess ill stick with mealworms and crix..
are they expensive ? since they eat sooo much everyday ?:p lol
it shocked me when i read that they eat like 50 crix a day or something like that... :p

Beardie_Mommy3991

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Crickets can be bought online in bulk for cheap. I order mine 1000 at a time, once a month or so. (Until my beardie grows up anyway) It costs me about 25 dollars for a shipment of 1000

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okaay this is good to know...
so i guess ill stick with mealworms and crix..

Mealworms arent good for beardies are their chitin content of their shells are very high and they often dont digest propperly causing impactations. The are very high in fat also. Dont feed them at all.
Better and more healthy choices of live feeders are:
* Silkworms
* Crickets
* Roaches
* Pheonix worms
* Super worms (Only once your dragon is approx 16 inches long)
* Hornworms (Most ppl use these as a treat)
* Butter worms (High in fat, so also a treat item)

Latest posts