• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pink Spots on Head?

nemil

Bearded Dragon Egg
I've only had my beardie for a week and sice the day i bought her she has had some weird pink coloring on her head. Is this just a really thick part of skin that is about to be shed or something more serious?
IMG_20171001_135434.jpg

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
wow, some amazing colours coming through there, very nice. Yeah, looks like it is about to shed, you will know for sure in a day or three, normally starts in the extremities, tail, head and legs. The odd colouration could just be its natural hue showing through as shed is very thin

nemil

Bearded Dragon Egg
I just started scrubbing my beardie gently with a toothbrush and realized that the pink coloring came off a bit and is probably the red sand the seller kept her in. I gave her several baths already in the last few days and it didnt come off, wich means that the sand mustve gotten into her scalation pretty deeply. Well, another case of NBOS (new beardie owner syndrome) solved and another argument against sand found!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yea I was going to say gotta be from sand.. Glad your doing baths with some scrubbing gently and the rest will come off in the next sheds.. What I am noticing is she looks really dehydrated as her fat pads ontop of her head are sunken in..Those ovals ontop of her head should be level to raised..I would get some slurries in her and some nice juicy bugs, just don't give too much protein if her body isn't ready for it.. Can you post a picture of her overall and what is your set up for her now..

nemil

Bearded Dragon Egg
I got a 75 watt uvb bulb and a 100 watt halogen heat lamp as well as an led strip for more lighting. Basking spot is around 55 degrees celsius and average temperature in the tank is like 30 degress. I feed her carrots and greens as well as dubia roaches,

Attachments

• IMG_20171002_144830.jpg
    IMG_20171002_144830.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 82

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Continue what you are doing with the baths and the tooth brush. It might take a couple of sheds for all the color to come off. 100% pure aloe vera will help to loosen things too. Also, don't feed too many carrots, they are high in Vitamin A and could cause problems for your dragon. There is a great list of foods at Beautifuldragons.com.

nemil

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for the tips you are being very helpful! I just gave her a bath and fed her some dubias that I dipped in water before feeding so that she gets some water input because I never see her drinking out of the water bowl. The dubia she ate seemed to be really juicy too because it kinda squirted when she bit it >.<. As for greens I have another question. She doesnt really eat her greens at all, do you have any tips on how to make her eat her veggies? Im already gutloading my dubias with veggies i want her to eat

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Sometimes they are stubborn with greens. You could try blending them up with some plain coconut water and making a slurry with them. Take a syringe and drip a little bit on the tip of her nose, it's less messy if you do it in a bath, she should start to lick the slurry off her nose. If that doesn't work, you can take the syringe and real gently put the tip in the side of her mouth where the skin is kinda loose, and then squirt just a little bit. It should make her start licking her mouth and then you can use the syringe to drip it the front of her mouth.

nemil

Bearded Dragon Egg
She was also way skinnier than she is now when I bought her and with how well she is seeming to gain weight i am guessing that fat pads just take a longer time to regenerate than overall body mass and that they will be looking good soon as well. She is also missing claws/nails on some of her fingers wich would be a sign for improper care wich also goes along with her skinny - ness

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
There was another post asking about how to know you are getting a good dragon from a breeder. This is an example as to why it's not any better to get one from a breeder than a pet store. Sounds like you are doing good by her, I just can't imagine a breeder would have an animal like this.

As far as the fat pads go, sometimes they can be perfectly healthy without having big fat pads on their head. They also have fat pads along the bottom of their belly too and their tail. A good thick tail is a good sign. My girl Dolly was a rescue and you have to watch her eat to see that she does have little tiny fat pads on top of her head but her lower belly is HUGE! She just had a complete checkup, including blood work, and she is healthy as a horse.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
well he isnt a breeder, he takes care of rescues and sells them

I'm sorry, I need to stop reading things in the morning, I swear I saw that you got it from a breeder. I have much respect for people who rescues animals. It takes a special heart to take in a rescued animal and spend all the time rehabbing it and then finding it a good home. I would fall in love with all of them and want to keep them!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm sorry, I need to stop reading things in the morning, I swear I saw that you got it from a breeder. I have much respect for people who rescues animals. It takes a special heart to take in a rescued animal and spend all the time rehabbing it and then finding it a good home. I would fall in love with all of them and want to keep them!
Yep I second that Patsy.. The dragon my friend and I rescued from someone who had no clue was really in poor husbandry situation, not handled, not fed well, incorrect lighting and heating.. And now what we were told was a male is actually a female and she is doing amazing now and is happy

nemil

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yo she has been improving a lot, pooping more and being very active. I have coconut water now, could you give advice on how o make the slurry?

nemil

Bearded Dragon Egg
i took a small glass and put coconut water in, then threw small dubias in. She attacked the dubias and naturally missed a few times, taking in coconut water instead. This may be a cool trick to hydrate them, it seemed fun to her too because he was huntinig the swimming dubias. May be a bit cruel on the dubias end lol

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I have a nutri bullet I put in their greens with just enough plain coconut water to make it watery enough to go in a syringe. I also add a dash of calcium powder, bee pollen and probiotics.

nemil

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a nutri bullet I put in their greens with just enough plain coconut water to make it watery enough to go in a syringe. I also add a dash of calcium powder, bee pollen and probiotics.
nice ideas maybe i can copy you a bit

Latest posts