• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Picky Eaters

blackclaw83

Juvenile Dragon
Ok guys and gals this is for those that bd are picky. Saphera {Spazz} will not eat crix or veggies that have been dusted with calci, or her vitim. So due to the fact that I believe I am smarter { which in most cases has been proven wrong with her :D } we have had to come up with a few ways of getting her her needing stuff. And here are the 2 best ways we found and she loves them so far. And its easy.

1} When preparing the salad, take carrots or squash, put it in a food processor with the calci and vitim and mince it up. If the bd is a small one you can put the greens in here but watch out due to to much mincing and you will have green.....yuk. If your bd is big enough for the greens just to be ripped up then go ahead and do that. Add them in to a container your storing the salad in and shake up. This way they may not get carrots or squash in every bite but you will atleast know your bd is getting what he or she needs to stay healthy.

2} Do the carrot thingy mentioned above, add some crix food, and or what ever else you want your crixs to eat. Go ahead and make them a salad if you want to. But basically gut load them with what your bd needs. That way when they get their meal they still get the needed items.

We even feed super worms, mealworms, ect with our crix food. Since Saphera was such a pain at first when it came to eating we had to find ways to make sure she got what she needed .....and this is how we do it. She loves it. And we use the Nutrition guide provided here for a list of what to and what not to feed her...Hope this helps anyone.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You seem to be stressing that BDs 'Need' carrots. Carrots are very high in Vit A, foods with high Vit A content should really be fed sparingly & do not make a healthy staple diet. Too much Vit A can lead to a dangerous condition called Vit A Toxicity in BDs. There are much better choices that you can feed.

blackclaw83

Juvenile Dragon
I think you have misread Germ. I am not stressing about the NEED of carrots. We dont just do carrots. We mix it up with the different types of squash. That is also why i posted squash up there as well. We keep a very good variety here for our little diva. This thread was just some info to help others if there bd had picky eating habits when it came to dusting s.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Cool, you mentioned Carrots in both sections referring on how to get her the stuff she needs, thus my comment ;).

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
@blackclaw83...I appreciate you offering up your strategy of getting your BD the calcium and vita-dust. I too have experienced reptiles that will turn their noses up to and refuse to eat "salad" dusted with the powders. Personally I agree gut loading feeders is a necessity as is dusting them before feeding them to your BD or other insect eater.
I have found though at least with my 'crew' that most times they aren't fooled too easily by the food processor even if its blended in with their favorite treats such as Mungi's current favorite of blackberries.
Germ is correct in that you have to be careful though as to what quantities of certain foods you feed to your BD as in the case of carrots. While feeding carrots to your BD on an occassional basis is okay you have to remember that when you add the Vita dust to them you are raising the Vitamin A level of a food that is already high in Vitamin A...therefor changing a food that is okay for Occasional feeding into one that should only be fed Rarely.
I do understood that the carrots in your example was just that.."an example food"..you just have to be careful with which foods you are using for your trick to getting finicky critters to "eat their dust"..lol:D

Enjoy your Day:)

Latest posts