• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

picked up 2 new dragons yesterday

weewane

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Well I was scanning craigslist yesterday and ran accross a add for 2 bearded dragons, a leopard gecko a 20 gal & a 75 gallon tank for $30 bucks. So I replyed to the add and got a call back to my surprise as the add had been posted for over 12 hours. The lady tells me they were her husbands and he left her and left the dragons behind. She said she did not know what to do with them that was allways his job, and his dragons. So I told her to remove the add and I was on the way. I got there about 45 mins later and it was a sad. They had a 7 month old female and a 1 yr old male in a 75 gal tank with no light the bulb was burnt out, no heat at all, some nasty dirty wet sand, and I guess 200 crickets running around. The dragons I bet had atleast a dozen or more crickets on them, and they were very cold to the touch. The gecko had no heat, no light at all, same dirt sand, and about 75 crickets in its tank. So needless to say I paid the lady $30 bucks and loaded up and got out of there.
I got the dragons and gecko home and took them inside for my wife to hold and start warming them up while I worked on there cage's. It took me about 2 hrs to clean there cages up so that they could go back in them once they were set back up. I gave the dragons a bath and to my surprise they are very nice looking dragons under all the dirt and gunk that they were covered in. I lightly scrubed them with a old soft toothbrush while in the bath and they seemed to like that. Got them all dried and put them back in there newly cleaned cage and they went and layed in the basking spot for a good 2 hrs. before it was lights out.
I go in there this morning and turn the lights back on and they spring to life, so I gave them each 3 superworms and a few crickets, also offered them a fresh salad. They ate like it was going out of style. They are alot more alert now and seem to be quite happy allready. The are together in a 75 gallon tank but will only stay that way untill I can build there new cage's this weekend.
As for the gecko I cleaned his cage added a heating pad under the tank as that is all I had for heat for him. I plan to take him to my friends at the local pet store and letting them sell him. I am gonna sell the 75 gal tank for more then I paid for all of it, use the 20 gal tank to house a cricket colony,and got a few dragons for free, that really needed a rescue.
I will get some picts up of them in a little while and post them up. Gotta head to work for a little bit first.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Is the geck a male or female, wee ?

It still just amazes me... how irresponsible some folks can be. Good job on the 'rescues'. You might want to check that female for eggs... she's old enough to have been bred by that male.

Janie

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
zebraflavencs said:
Is the geck a male or female, wee ?

It still just amazes me... how irresponsible some folks can be. Good job on the 'rescues'. You might want to check that female for eggs... she's old enough to have been bred by that male.

Janie

I wouldnt neccessarily say that woman was irresposible she was left with them and did not know how to care for them. the husband may have been being irresponsible or he may not have been allowed to take them. We all know how bitter and mean someone can be when they are dumped by their significant other.

Im glad they are in good hands now.

weewane

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I am not sure about the gecko dont know much about them and how to sex them. I will deff keep my eye on the female and hope the is not holding eggs. If she is I will do what is needed to try to hatch them, but really hope that is not the case. She is to young for that I think.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
never know... to check the sex of the gecko, carefully place it on it's back, in an upright position, belly facing you... you should clearly see either two hemipenal areas or one female bulge.
If it's a girl... I'd like her... I have a quarantine tank I can place her in, and I have meds for any possible parasites.
Love my geckos ;)
Janie

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Some do, Brian.. some don't... Petey my male has small pores. While Dora my oldest and largest female has very prominent pores.
Janie

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That's a good point, Sandy. A fecal is probably in order based on the condition you found them. I'm glad for the little guys that they are in good hands right now. Divorces/Break ups can be pretty brutal....

weewane

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
zebraflavencs said:
never know... to check the sex of the gecko, carefully place it on it's back, in an upright position, belly facing you... you should clearly see either two hemipenal areas or one female bulge.
If it's a girl... I'd like her... I have a quarantine tank I can place her in, and I have meds for any possible parasites.
Love my geckos ;)
Janie

Well renee I am deff no expert but the leo does appear to be a girl. I just went and looked and I dont notice a bulge behind her port, nore do I see and pores in the V or on the rear of the legs. She is a pretty lizard and seems tame. She will lay on your hand and relax after holding her for a min or two. I was gonna trade her in for store credit to help pay for a UV light for the new dragons. But if you are interested we can proly work something out. Only problem I see mayee is I live in VA where are you located?

Ohh and I talked to a good friend of mine and I think she is gonna take the male dragon off my hands cuz her male is getting up there in age and she wants a new male to takeover the dutys LoL. She just had babys the beginning of sept and I am gonna get one of them. I allready commetted to one of them a few weeks ago, and really dont want 4 of them right now. So it is eather keep the male or get a baby and gosh I like raising animals so pretty sure I will stick with the original plan and get another baby.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It's me who wanted the gecko...lol not Renee...
pm me for information, and we'll work out price and shipping...
Janie

weewane

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
oops my bad I looked at the wrong name sorry bout that LoL.

Ok here are some picts of them

this is the female hanging out on my wifes shirt
pets206.jpg

This is the male
pets208.jpg

This is the leo
pets209.jpg

and here are a few picts of the underside
pets211.jpg

pets212.jpg

pets213.jpg

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
A bit too close for me to sex the gecko.
I would encourage you to get a fecal done as Sandy recommended. They do look to need some tender loving care.

Janie

weewane

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I plan to take them to the vet on monday to give them a look over. They seem to be settling in nicely. They are both eating there veggies, and are getting more active. They are warm now and very sweet dragons that like to be held. Just went to the store and got them a reptisun 10.0 and have that on them now.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It looks like they are in good hands now. Let us know how the vet's goes.

Latest posts