• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Phoneix Worms

JustaV

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Critter is about a year old now give or take a couple of months... Im thinking about changing his protenin to Phoneix worms... at his age how many would he need to or should eat per day?

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
At a year old I wouldn't offer Phoenix Worms as a main part of the diet. You will be spending a small fortune in feeding your dragon the appropriate amount of them. I only used those for my hatchlings/4 month olds.

JustaV

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hmm ok, I thought since im suppose to offer protein 3 times a week now worms wouldnt be so much in cost. Am i wrong about 3 times a week?

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I cut my dragon's protein intake down to 3 times a week/60 bugs a week when he was about 18 months old. The worms are so small you would have to feed a lot of them to equal those 60 1 inch crickets or roaches. The worms add up fast

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What have you been using...why change now? At just one year don't cut his food intake too much. Go down to maybe one feeding a day instead of two. But still feed every day. At about 15 months you can cut this to maybe every other day. After 18 months I would do 3x a week...still as many as he can eat in the 10 minutes. By 2 years, I would be down to 2x a week as many as he can eat in 5-10 minutes. Then around 2 1/2 start weening way down so that by age 3 only about 25-30 crix a week. You can split this 2x a week or all at once.

JustaV

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thank you that is very helpful.... Critter loves worms!!! Hes been eating crix now for protein but i order them in bulk since they are cheaper and i cant seem to ever get it right so they end up dying. Once was the humidity up and down. Then i think it got too hot and now to cold. Cleaning has been complicated. Then theres the lose crickets that always get out,I just dont get it? lol....So thought might try the worms and phoenix's are suppose to be good staples but i didnt conisder their size. Seems ill stix with the crix as a staple and worms as treats :)

nebenezer

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
OP, you should start a colony of Dubia ;D

I started a colony for my baby beardie and he LOVES them, and they seem to be an ideal staple diet.

Latest posts