• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Phoenix worm question

keiferlou

Bearded Dragon Egg
Leonidas, my 6 month old BD loves his phoenix worms! But, the way they go in is the way they come back out. I'll feed him and sure enough, the next day there are whole worms in his poo. Surely he's not getting the benefit of them? Has anyone else had this problem? And its only the worms and he eats them with gusto! He really is like a Hoover with these things lol. Eats everything else at a more reasonable pace. Is he just eating too fast? My other BD does not have this problem.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Ron G

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
We had the same problem at times with the Phoenix Worms. It seemed worse when we switched to the large size. He would eat so many so fast and swallow them without chewing them they would end up in his poop. It could also be the basking temps are not hot enough to digest them. We don't feed them anymore because he got tired of them.

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, i would venture to say he is eating them too fast. Try feeding just a dew at a time letting him chew and swallow in a timely manor then put more in.

keiferlou

Bearded Dragon Egg
That's what I was thinking because he doesn't eat anything else as greedily as he does those. I'll make him slow down and see if that helps. Thanks :)

keiferlou

Bearded Dragon Egg
It definitely was him just being a pig! Went to hand feeding him one at a time and haven't seen any more whole worms coming back out. He gives me the stink eye now because he can't just have at 'em lol but he'll get over it :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

Bushmaster11B

Juvenile Dragon
You know, I would feed crickets or roaches first, then his phoenix worms in the future. They can't swallow down crix and roaches like that and the fuller he is when he gets to the worms, the slower he will eat.

keiferlou

Bearded Dragon Egg
Well, this is what I started doing. I place him in a big rubbermaid tub with about a 50/50 mix of dubias and crickets (10-15 of each) and give him a few minutes to "hunt" then I'll place a couple of the worms in my hand and set my hand in there and let him decide which he wants. He eats up the worms and then glares at me for a minute until he sees movement then goes hunting again. Doing it this way, he gets his favorite worms and I get to be sure he isn't just sucking them down and is getting the benefit of them.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

Latest posts