• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Phew!!!!

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Phew!!! Someone forgot to tell me that ammonia, despite the lemon smell, is soooo strong! Phew!!! I had watery eyes, and watery nose. It sure as well cleared out my sinuses. I scrubbed the tank all through. Every nook and crevice. Soaked for five minutes. I rinsed out the ammonia out well and all that was left was a lemony fresh smell. Kept rinsing it until I was sure the second cleaner wouldn't mix and explode.

I bleached the tank after rinsing well. Now, it needs to air dry for now. Then I'll come back and check it for any bleach smell.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Oh yeah ammonia is STRONG! I used to use it to clean my kitchen floors, we had these horrible black and white floors in our apartment 20 years ago. They looked cool until you noticed how much dirt stuck to the white. Ammonia and a scrub brush was the only thing that would work.

My motto is just keep rinsing and rinsing. When you think you don't smell the bleach anymore rinse again!

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Phew. I never used ammonia before now. I have two containers of ammonia now. I wonder if it would've worked when we had red clay at my old house.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My motto is just keep rinsing and rinsing. When you think you don't smell the bleach anymore rinse again!

I'll keep rinsing and rinsing no matter what. I wouldn't want to risk anything with the baby...I did notice that the aquarium rock fixture basking spot I got from Wallyworld has this smell. I wonder what could be the smell from it.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Could just be the "new" smell. I kinda remember things like that having a plastic kind of smell. It should just come out with washing it.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I get Luci's new basking spot today! I'm both excited and nervous because when you order these wood things online you never know what you are going to end up with :confused:

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Ya thats why i havent ordered one yet. Im going to wait until i make it to a pet store so I can pick the "right" one for vinnie

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ya thats why i havent ordered one yet. Im going to wait until i make it to a pet store so I can pick the "right" one for vinnie

I would buy from the local Mom and Pop pet store, but they over charge on everything! I got fresh wood from outside for free. It's $6.99 and up. Thermometers are $10.99 a piece. Everything's twice the price and they don't care when you come in...They ignore you. Now I know why I don't buy much of anything there. They're high and rip offs. I could see me spending a fortune there.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Could just be the "new" smell. I kinda remember things like that having a plastic kind of smell. It should just come out with washing it.

I think so. I took out the plants that were in there and put them into suction cups! (Wait til you see the photo's I'm going to take of the new look to the viv.) I'm planning on washing it in the dishwasher. That's the hottest water around and I'm not going to use any dishwasher soap. That could leave chemical residues.

I'll soak the plants in boiling hot water. None are plastic. All silk, I think.

And the rocks too!

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I get Luci's new basking spot today! I'm both excited and nervous because when you order these wood things online you never know what you are going to end up with :confused:

Hope it's what you needed for Luci. :D

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Luci has some sort of fabric vine in his tank and it is NOISY! He tramples through it all day long, but he likes it so I like it :) My frogs on the other hand have the same vine in their tank and they wake me up sometimes because they have a little party on in!

I got his wood today. Not completely what I wanted, there is a natural crack in it that I may just have to fill in. My boyfriend wants me to wait though because maybe we can put it in Dexters tank and put Dexter's in Luci's. Dexter doesn't chase her crickets around her tank so I put them in a bowl for her so we don't have any hiders.

I would love to go to the store and be able to buy what I want. We only have the big box pet stores available to us and they never have anything good. Chicago is a big dog city so all of the smaller pet stores cater to dogs. We always said if we won the lottery we would open up a pet store that sold reptile/amphibian supplies and feeders!

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Luci has some sort of fabric vine in his tank and it is NOISY! He tramples through it all day long, but he likes it so I like it :) My frogs on the other hand have the same vine in their tank and they wake me up sometimes because they have a little party on in!

I got his wood today. Not completely what I wanted, there is a natural crack in it that I may just have to fill in. My boyfriend wants me to wait though because maybe we can put it in Dexters tank and put Dexter's in Luci's. Dexter doesn't chase her crickets around her tank so I put them in a bowl for her so we don't have any hiders.

I would love to go to the store and be able to buy what I want. We only have the big box pet stores available to us and they never have anything good. Chicago is a big dog city so all of the smaller pet stores cater to dogs. We always said if we won the lottery we would open up a pet store that sold reptile/amphibian supplies and feeders!

Oh I like that idea! I was thinking if I had won the lottery, I would buy a place and buy lots of reptile vivariums and bearded dragons. :D A new car- Camaro or firebird.

And no more bleach smell in the tank! :p

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Ok so Luci's daddy worked some magic, his wood looks real nice!
image.jpg

And he seems to like it!
image.jpg

Latest posts