• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pete is not eating today

csjstokes

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ugh
we went to the vet Saturday and he was dehydrated - have been giving him 2 pedialyte baths a day and he is on repti-aid
he is pooping once a day but only eating 6-10 crickets for the whole day - and he never wants his salad
yesterday he was hunting down the crickets - today, not so much again
he is just a baby - maybe 6-7 inches long
Im worried :(
any advice?

thanks
Stephanie

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey Stephanie...

So babies can be finikie. I am going to give you a bunch of questions. It is really important to take a look at them and answer each one. This will really help to find out what's going on...if anything. Could just be relocation stress.

Husbandry Questions

1. Age
2. Length
3. Weight
4. Basking temps
5. Are they measures with a digital thermometer
6. What % and age uvb
7. What is the substrate
8. What size tank
9. How many/big are the crix you are feeding
10. What greens
11. Are you dusting w/ a multi vitamin and calcium
12. Last poop
13. Last soak
14. How long has he/she been in your home

csjstokes

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Here goes with answers to your questions: thanks for the help :)

Husbandry Questions

1. Age - im not sure - 6-7 weeks?
2. Length - about 6-7 inches
3. Weight - 6 grams
4. Basking temps - about 105 degrees
5. Are they measures with a digital thermometer - yes
6. What % and age uvb - repti-sun 10.0 brand new
7. What is the substrate - reptile carpet
8. What size tank - 20L
9. How many/big are the crix you are feeding - baby crickets as many as he will eat in 10 minutes
10. What greens - a variety of greens - mustard greens, collard greens, carrots, grapes...trying anything but hes not interested
11. Are you dusting w/ a multi vitamin and calcium - yes
12. Last poop - this afternoon
13. Last soak - this afternoon
14. How long has he/she been in your home - about 1 week

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
K...all your husbandry sounds good. Nothing stand out that needs tweaking. I would keep up the soaks. The next poop he has I would grab it and bring it to the vets for a fecal test to be sure he is clear of any parasites.

He could still be adjusting. Try covering 3 sides of his tank so only the front is open. That sometimes helps with stress. Other than soaking him, I would leave him in his tank and handle him as little as possible.

6-10 crix isn't horrendous. At least he is eating some right now. As for greens, that can take a while. They don't always take to them. Keep trying daily. Eventually he will take a bit.

csjstokes

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ok - great - thank you for the response and the encouragement
I will keep up the soaks - the vet actually called to check in today and told me to do the same

we try not to handle him too much - and usually it is just me doing the handling at the moment to take him out for his baths
is there something specific I can cover the sides of his tank with or will anything do? I do think he is seeing his reflection - or some reflection - and it may be stressing him so I want to take care of that as soon as I can...

Im glad the fact that he is eating some crickets is good enough for now. He also is on repti-aid so I know that is helping to keep him satisfied for now.
I keep trying the greens and refresh them twice a day. I sometimes try to get him to take them from me - or at least get a taste. He will come around on those...

thanks again very much for your help

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just paper is a good thing to cover them up with. Keep the forum updated as to what is going on.

Did the vet mention doing a fecal? I would definately do that

csjstokes

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ok thanks - I will cover the sides up asap

the vet did not mention a fecal just yet but I will call them tomorrow

I will absolutely keep you updated - Im worried and talking it over is really helping me

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
All of us have been where you are. We have all been newbies at one time or another. You are doing fine. Your biggest obstacle is the husbandry and all seems good. Just grab the next poop and have it tested just to be sure parasites aren't an issue. If not....just let it happen! It will.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I know its hard but he will eat. Sounds like relocation stress and it will pass and you will be saying, how can something so small eat so many crickets. It can take a couple of weeks to pass but it will.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yeah, everything sounds OK about your husbandry.
Also think it may be relo stress. Ive heard it can last anywhere from a few days up to a few weeks depending and varying from dragon to dragon.

Let us know about his progress and fecal results.
Just keep doing what you are doing. Hell come around ;D

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just breath, and relax.. Oh yes we have all been through this... I could tell you stories.. lol...

csjstokes

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
lol - that is why I am so glad to be here with all of you guys (thanks Monique for sending me here!)
I think my husband thinks I have gone insane :p
I have 2 kids and lots of other pets - and I hate when any of them isnt feeling well and I dont know how to help
just want to get past this and let the little guy be ok

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Understood... I have 9 geckos, (one egg in the incubator) and 4 dragons, 2 dogs, 1 cat.. and 2 human type male pets I keep... lol

csjstokes

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
LOL - I think you got me beat!
I have 2 kids, 1 dog, 6 cats - and 1 bearded dragon
my dog is currently in need of ACL surgery on both of her knees...we just found out last week...

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
One quick question..............

He's on repta aid.............
The Flukers Stuff?

csjstokes

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
yes thats the stuff
why do you ask ladyknite??? is that no good??
just doing what the vet told me...

thanks

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
it's fine. there's also Reptaid put out by Chameleons Northwest. I get confused. One is more "preventative" and one is more for hydration and that type of stuff.

sounds like he's doing fine. Cover his tank and you'll see him settle down quite a bit over a couple of weeks.

btw..........
all ya'll got to many pets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROFLMBO

csjstokes

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
phew! yes we were given it for hydration...
his tank is all covered on 3 sides with paper
he looked pretty good this morning
i gave him his salad and just getting my workout in while he warms up - then will see if he wants his crickets today

and you are correct...too many pets - but love them all :)

Latest posts