• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Petco NOT the place where pets should go

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I know exactly what you are saying. I wouldn't trade her for the world now, but if I had been more educated at the time I got her I would have definitely went through a breeder. I really hate the thought of seeing her sick :( and an really hopeing things will go somewhat smooth if she needs treatment. Thank you for the advice, it really means so much coming from someone that's been in this situation already. I will be sure to get probiotics for her. Do you have any specific recommendation of what to get and where? Or is this something the vet will most likely discuss with us and prescribe?

Is your vet a herp vet? Meaning is it a reptile vet? If so then your vet should have the right probiotics there for you when you get the parasite medicine. If not I can look thru my paperwork and tell you the exact one I bought and where. My vet is a herp vet, the best one here in Cincinnati but he was out of probiotics at the time so I ordered them. It was the scariest thing I have ever been through with an animal. I have cried so much thru this ordeal.

You are welcome and anytime you need anything or just need a shoulder to cry on or vent to, I'm here for you.

Thank you for understanding what I was trying to say. You said it best - if I was better educated and that's how I feel. But like now i just gave him his bath and he's wrapped up in his towel asleep on my chest and out for the night. I have gained his trust - finally! He has stolen my heart and I'm in love!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Is your vet a herp vet? Meaning is it a reptile vet? If so then your vet should have the right probiotics there for you when you get the parasite medicine. If not I can look thru my paperwork and tell you the exact one I bought and where. My vet is a herp vet, the best one here in Cincinnati but he was out of probiotics at the time so I ordered them. It was the scariest thing I have ever been through with an animal. I have cried so much thru this ordeal.

You are welcome and anytime you need anything or just need a shoulder to cry on or vent to, I'm here for you.

Thank you for understanding what I was trying to say. You said it best - if I was better educated and that's how I feel. But like now i just gave him his bath and he's wrapped up in his towel asleep on my chest and out for the night. I have gained his trust - finally! He has stolen my heart and I'm in love!

I'm honestly not sure. All that I really know is he can work with reptiles but I think he may work with cats and dogs as well. I looked at reviews for him and noticed a few people said he was great with their turtles, snakes, and a few other reptiles. So I'm really hoping he will be good. He's really my only hope unless I drive somewhere else which is not out of the question if need be. But I would like to try him out first. If she requires treatment hopefully he will prescribe her a probiotic to go with it.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I'm honestly not sure. All that I really know is he can work with reptiles but I think he may work with cats and dogs as well. I looked at reviews for him and noticed a few people said he was great with their turtles, snakes, and a few other reptiles. So I'm really hoping he will be good. He's really my only hope unless I drive somewhere else which is not out of the question if need be. But I would like to try him out first. If she requires treatment hopefully he will prescribe her a probiotic to go with it.

Even though they are a herp vet they still see cats and dogs. I'm not sure if they have to have special requirements or more education to be a herp vet but just cuz he see's cats and dogs don't let deter you.

How is her appetite now? Is her poop runny?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would like to say that not all petstores are bad and it does come down to you doing research on where to go... Both of mine came from Petco and both are happy healthy from the getgo..
It's important to know that not all breeders are good, some breed and really shouldn't...It is buyer beware where ever you go, do your research, check references if able.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Even though they are a herp vet they still see cats and dogs. I'm not sure if they have to have special requirements or more education to be a herp vet but just cuz he see's cats and dogs don't let deter you.

How is her appetite now? Is her poop runny?

Based on the reviews he sounds like a really good vet. So I will put my trust into him. It just sucks that I can not get Her in until the 16th. Her poo has just been so inconsistent. She does go everyday at least once (sometimes twice) but sometimes it is runny sometimes, solid other times. I really never know what I'm going to get. I know what they eat affects this but she eats the same things really, dubias (we recently switched from crickets), occasionally phoenix worms, collared greens, a little mango, yellow squash, and sweet potatoes. And I've noticed along with the awful smell there are particles of undigested food in her waste. Other than this she acts fine. She's pretty active and eats like a horse. There appears to be no weight loss so maybe I'm just being a worry wart (I'm famous for it lol) but I would like to know for sure that she's ok.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Based on the reviews he sounds like a really good vet. So I will put my trust into him. It just sucks that I can not get Her in until the 16th. Her poo has just been so inconsistent. She does go everyday at least once (sometimes twice) but sometimes it is runny sometimes, solid other times. I really never know what I'm going to get. I know what they eat affects this but she eats the same things really, dubias (we recently switched from crickets), occasionally phoenix worms, collared greens, a little mango, yellow squash, and sweet potatoes. And I've noticed along with the awful smell there are particles of undigested food in her waste. Other than this she acts fine. She's pretty active and eats like a horse. There appears to be no weight loss so maybe I'm just being a worry wart (I'm famous for it lol) but I would like to know for sure that she's ok.

If there are undigested food then that can mean a few things. Either she's not getting enough time under the lights after she eats, or the lights aren't strong enough for her to digest the food or the food isn't good for her. Phoenix worms and dubia's are the best! Good job on that. Collard greens are the best too! The other stuff is good as well but in small doses when they are babies. I would mainly stick with the dubia's, Phoenix worms and collard greens and see how her poop is.

Can you tell me the watts on her bulbs? Also how long do you let her stay under the bulbs after she eats? Thanks…

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
But if she does have parasites then that could be the cause for the runny poop. That is also the reason behind the smell!

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I would like to say that not all petstores are bad and it does come down to you doing research on where to go... Both of mine came from Petco and both are happy healthy from the getgo..
It's important to know that not all breeders are good, some breed and really shouldn't...It is buyer beware where ever you go, do your research, check references if able.

I agree with you on that some breeders shouldn't be breeders! And to do your research. I'm just letting people know how my local PetSmart and Petco are here in Cincinnati.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran

Our local petsmart is wonderful. The staff there seems very educated and passionate about the animals which I really like. Even though I have herd awful things about petsmart in general I can not fairly state that the one I go to is a bad place. I can imagine this is the reality for all pet stores. All it takes is a few bad ones with uneducated, careless staff to give them all a bad name. That is why I thought it would be best to report this petco into higher management. And I will say when their corporate office contacted me they were very concerned! Which is a good thing. It shows you it really has little to do with the store name and everything to do with the staff at each store. And your absolutely right, just like some people at pet shops are careless I am sure there are plenty of breeders that are the same way. Some people just don't have the heart and soul to work with any animals and it is those people that I wish would just find something else to do.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
If there are undigested food then that can mean a few things. Either she's not getting enough time under the lights after she eats, or the lights aren't strong enough for her to digest the food or the food isn't good for her. Phoenix worms and dubia's are the best! Good job on that. Collard greens are the best too! The other stuff is good as well but in small doses when they are babies. I would mainly stick with the dubia's, Phoenix worms and collard greens and see how her poop is.

Can you tell me the watts on her bulbs? Also how long do you let her stay under the bulbs after she eats? Thanks…

Right now she is in a 40gal (we plan on upgrading when she's a little bigger) with a 100watt basking bulb and a reptisun 10.0 uvb tube light. Her log ranges anywhere from 12-5 inches from the basking light. At one point we noticed she had been hiding in the shade all day and took the temp on the basking site to discover it was near 130 degrees F. so we quickly took her out and rearanged things until we got it at about 105-110. After she eats we give her at least 2 hours of cage time. I will say she doesn't bask after eating. She will pancake on the bottom of her enclosure for the longest time. Could this potentially be an issue?

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Right now she is in a 40gal (we plan on upgrading when she's a little bigger) with a 100watt basking bulb and a reptisun 10.0 uvb tube light. Her log ranges anywhere from 12-5 inches from the basking light. At one point we noticed she had been hiding in the shade all day and took the temp on the basking site to discover it was near 130 degrees F. so we quickly took her out and rearanged things until we got it at about 105-110. After she eats we give her at least 2 hours of cage time. I will say she doesn't bask after eating. She will pancake on the bottom of her enclosure for the longest time. Could this potentially be an issue?

How long does she pancake on the bottom? That could be what's doing it. They aren't getting digested right away.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
How long does she pancake on the bottom? That could be what's doing it. They aren't getting digested right away.

At least an hour I would say. Maybe even longer. She does bask often, just right after she eats her routine is to not move lol and just flatten out on the bottom of the enclosure for ever. Do you think I should start placing her on her basking log once feeding time is over?

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
At least an hour I would say. Maybe even longer. She does bask often, just right after she eats her routine is to not move lol and just flatten out on the bottom of the enclosure for ever. Do you think I should start placing her on her basking log once feeding time is over?

Yes ma'am! After she eats she is too stuffed to move! My Wally does the same thing and I place him on his basking spot or else he would never get to it. Lol

So next time you feed her let's try that. Put her on her basking spot to pancake out. It might take a couple poops to get all the undigested poop out. If by poop #3 she still has undigested food in her poop then we will take the next step. But I honestly think this will solve the issue!!

Good luck! Sending you prayers from Cincinnati!!

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yes ma'am! After she eats she is too stuffed to move! My Wally does the same thing and I place him on his basking spot or else he would never get to it. Lol

So next time you feed her let's try that. Put her on her basking spot to pancake out. It might take a couple poops to get all the undigested poop out. If by poop #3 she still has undigested food in her poop then we will take the next step. But I honestly think this will solve the issue!!

Good luck! Sending you prayers from Cincinnati!!

Thank you so much. I will start doing this immediately and see if it helps my little lady out. I really appreciate all of your help and advice, hopefully this will be the answer to her digestive issues.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thank you so much. I will start doing this immediately and see if it helps my little lady out. I really appreciate all of your help and advice, hopefully this will be the answer to her digestive issues.

You are so welcome!! I hope this helps her out as well!! In a few days check in and let me know how things are going!

Good luck!!

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Well it looks like i am not just being a worry wart. She just pooped and sure enough there was worms in it. I believe they are pin worms :( I'm wondering if the dirt phoenix worms could in could cause this? I clean them off before giving them to her but just want to be double sure that is not something that could have given her worms

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Well it looks like i am not just being a worry wart. She just pooped and sure enough there was worms in it. I believe they are pin worms :( I'm wondering if the dirt phoenix worms could in could cause this? I clean them off before giving them to her but just want to be double sure that is not something that could have given her worms

Where do you get the Phoenix worms?

The ones I get are bred in an organic controlled environment. It's not just any old dirt. Mine is usually food mixed in with what they use to breed them.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It is common that beardies have pinworms in their system already it's when they are stressed or ill that the pinworms can take over and run out of control. It's also possible for the feeders to have been the carriers..

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
It is common that beardies have pinworms in their system already it's when they are stressed or ill that the pinworms can take over and run out of control. It's also possible for the feeders to have been the carriers..

Can they get worms from the greens if we don't wash them properly?

Latest posts