• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pet Store Problems

wiiiroc

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Has anybody ever had issues when dealing with folk at the pet store?
I mean.. even though many people think of them as professionals, they're not.
):
Anyway, I had went in today to get a new UVB bulb.
He had recognized me from the day before and asked me what was up.
I simply told him that I had done some research online and had discovered there were issues with the light being too bright and causing eye problems with beardies.
He really got angry at me, telling me he has had many beardies using that light before and there was nothing wrong with them (as if I said something was?)
He also got uppity about "If there was something wrong with the bulb the supplier would have recalled it. You shouldn't believe everything you hear you know"

C'mon dude.
I'm trying to buy product from you.
Help me so I can help you get a paycheck :p

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yeah that is deffinately a normal occurance. I have personally been told (not asked told) to leave the local petsmart once or twice lol. We have a small family owned shop here with a reptile guy that is fairly knowledgable about snakes but not much else. I have been talking with him off and on giving him pointers and advice for the lizards and turtles they have. Most are not receptive to advice though (as pointed out above) people feel the need to defend their point of view if it is attacked. You say "well i need a new bulb cause i found out that this one causes eye issues" the owner of the store/employee hears "you sold me the wrong light cause you dont know what you are talking about". Its the way human beings work. Selective hearing i think is what it is called.

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I had this problem with the pet store where i got my dragons. The first dragon I bought i was told was a male. ended up being an over bred egg bound female. She ended up passing away about a week or so after i got her. So i went back to the pet store and he gave me a new dragon garenteed it was male. Well she ended up being a gravid female and laying 4 clutches of eggs. Needless to say the pet store has gone out of business. But my dragon is thriving now and I got my cute little YoYo as a trade for the eggs.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just chiming in that this is a sad truth. And I have fallen victim to it as well.

Keep in mind that many take this personally. And there are always exceptions to every rule. It is a matter of personal preference - do you want to stay on the side of caution and give your beardie the best home that you can offer or do you want to take a chance and be one of the statistics?

I think you are doing the right thing. Just blow off the pet store. Continue to do your research. He is a retail store employee, you have read what experts and scientists have performed and proven.

kizap

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
There is a reason these pet store employee's only make min wage ;)

Ive gone into the local pet co / pets smart seen some people looking at the dragons
for their kids "about 5 dragons in one 10 gallon tank !!!" No UVA/UVB lights, it was almost 80 in the hot spot" which is all wrong!!
I told these people to get their dragons from sandfire dragon ranch here in cali so they know that he dragon the purchase is healthy and not inbred. Told them pretty much everything i knew, i walked away to grab some fish "fish are fish" for my aquascaped tank, checking out i see them walking out the door with a dragon from the enclosure I just told them not to buy from.

Can lead the horse to the watering hole but cant make him drink!

kizap

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Yea the ranch is a little bit expensive, but they did me well!
You are very right about the kids wanting it right then and there, that's why i teach my two monsters patience!!
Better things come if you wait!! And of course I waited and I found Brian and Lucky! See patience works !!

Id recommend anyone wanting to get a dragon to come to this forum first, the knowledge on this site is unbeatable!

These pet stores should not be licensed to carry anything living, even their dogs and cats are caged in sub par living conditions!

ewood810

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
crypticdragons said:
Yeah that is deffinately a normal occurance. I have personally been told (not asked told) to leave the local petsmart once or twice lol. We have a small family owned shop here with a reptile guy that is fairly knowledgable about snakes but not much else. I have been talking with him off and on giving him pointers and advice for the lizards and turtles they have. Most are not receptive to advice though (as pointed out above) people feel the need to defend their point of view if it is attacked. You say "well i need a new bulb cause i found out that this one causes eye issues" the owner of the store/employee hears "you sold me the wrong light cause you dont know what you are talking about". Its the way human beings work. Selective hearing i think is what it is called.

I have dealt with this also. Accept I did tell the lady that sold me the compact florescent that she didn't know what she was talking about. I mean really how is it that they sit there and puff out there chest and tell you with all the certainty they they are right when there is a mountain of data telling them they are wrong. But to advise some one to purchase a product that will make my baby go blind? That's just wrong. But I must say that I based a lot of my opinions on products off of the research I have done with this forum. It seems to be spot on with what a lot of other sites say ( maybe its a conspiracy :eek: ). But the best advice is just to do some research and that way you know what your dealing with. If you want ask the people at the store what they think just to see what they really know about the products that they sell. I have actually found a few that did know what they were talking about. But the great thing about Beardies is that they have a lot of very knowledgeable owners that love to share that knowledge on the web, so researching is pretty easy.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I dont think anything is more fun than having a 17 year old kid tell me that i dont know what the hell im talking about and that i need to leave the store lol.

kizap

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
If some dude told me to leave the store, sure id leave, and wait for him in the parking lot when he gets off work ;)

Latest posts