• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pet Store Beardie

ewood810

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hey I have a question, yesterday I was in my local pet store and I couldn't help but notice that all of the Beardies in the place had tails that were cut. None of them went to a paint they were all very short and went to a little nub. Is this something that they do to the Dragons to keep them from growing? I found it very strange that they would do something like this and that all of them were like that ( maybe 9 total in 23 different vivs). If any one can explain it I would appreciate it.

Twobeardieguy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
That is what happens when you house to many beardies together! It is called tail nips. They bite each others limbs! They are solitary reptiles and need to be housed alone.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ironically it's not always neglect.
Baby dragons are ferocious eaters. They pounce on anything that moves without watching where their little mouths go. Occasionally a tail or toe of someone else gets in the way and gets bitten. It's accidental in most occurances even with the best care.
On occasion, you'll have someone that won't properly feed causing agressive issues. In that, you more evidently see death, not injury.

ewood810

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
But to have every one like that? I dont know I am going to say something to them next time I am there because they will be the first to tell you that you are a bad owner and you should get all these products to be a good keeper.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I understand your angst, here love... but hold on... Getting all defensive and in their face Isn't the way to go... Educate them... Teach them ... And bring em here...
Janie

pure_addiction_05

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
My beardie's tail was nipped off when he was just a hatchling....and I got him from a breeder who breeds specialty dragon's....it's like 1/2 the length it should be, but it doesn't hurt him or make us love him any less....if anything, my kids say he is more special because he has a shorter tail!!! He is a VERY CUTE & full of personality dragon!!!!

Latest posts