• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Permanent Gray Beard?

Sophie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi everyone!

I’ve had my bearded dragon for about a year now. For most of his life, he’s had a gray beard. I’ve adjusted his diet, made sure he had the right lighting/UV set up, and everything that is recommended to make sure he is stress free. There also isn’t a reputable reptile vet anywhere in my vicinity, but a zookeeper who worked with reptiles suggested the possibility of his beard being darker because he’s male and maturing/being more aggressive and territorial. However, today, I noticed this new addition to his beard. It’s a line that runs straight across his beard and is discolored. I haven’t been able to find any pictures like it and explored the possibility of it being fungus, but with no luck. He receives a few drops of liquid calcium each day, and I’m wondering if it’s possible that the residue that stays on his chin when he doesn’t drink it all could be causing this. I also wonder if this is simply shedding, but have never seen him shed like this. I’ve attached a picture for reference. If anyone’s experienced anything like this, please let me know.

Attachments

• 477EA9A9-7B2B-4AE7-9AB7-D12E6E7CAF05.jpeg
    477EA9A9-7B2B-4AE7-9AB7-D12E6E7CAF05.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 128

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
You really need to find a reptile vet that you can get to. The grey on his beard looks is shed and that line looks like either the shed is stuck or that there is a bacterial infection going on. Given that there is a little spot on his arm too, I'm guessing that it's bacterial.

Sophie

Bearded Dragon Egg
You really need to find a reptile vet that you can get to. The grey on his beard looks is shed and that line looks like either the shed is stuck or that there is a bacterial infection going on. Given that there is a little spot on his arm too, I'm guessing that it's bacterial.
I appreciate the insight! Will do!!

Latest posts