• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

parazap???

ferris2f

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Im trying to give my bearded dragon parazap for the first time and im reading the directions what i think im supose to do is boil2/3 cup of water then add 1 tea spoon of parazap when the parazap falls to the bottom of the pot im supose to get that out and thats what i give the beardie? is that right?

Michele654

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Never heard of this stuff so I wouldln't trust it. When it comes to parasites best you get the correct diagnosis from a Vet. You could end up causing more harm than good.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You use the broth. Not the sediment.
Or you can dust bugs.
It's not a cure for parasites, but I've found it to be a pretty good preventative.

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Have you had a fecal done to confirm parasites? I have heard of Parazzap but never used it myself. From what I understand, you make a tea with it and the beardie is supposed to ingest the tea. I would contact whoever you purchased it from and ask them.

I have had very good luck with Reptaid. (http://www.reptaid.com)

A vet is going to give you Albon, which is not the best treatment. It is not consistent (sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't) and it can cause more harm than good. Diseases like Yellow Fungus (which can be deadly) are thought to have originated from antibiotic treatments like Albon. There is another drug (Marquis, I think it is called) which is better for beardies. I still would recommend trying the Reptaid first. It boosts their immune system so they can tackle the infection or parasite on their own. Albon often causes dehydration, loss of appetite and other problems.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Albon nor Marquis take care of parasites. coccida is their target.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Things like Reptaid and Parazap are fine products (i myself endorse reptaid) but the thing is that without knowing what is wrong with your animal its no different than blindly giving a child antibiotics cause it has a cough. You need to take the dragon to a qualified vet (if you can find one) to find out what all is wrong with the animals you got. Thats my honest opinion.

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ladyknite said:
Albon nor Marquis take care of parasites. coccida is their target.

Sorry, my vet (and many websites) refer to Coccidia as a "microscopic protozoal parasite".

And, I agree with Brian. Treating without knowing the cause of the symptoms can be dangerous. I was more suggesting that if you know it is parasites (confirmed by a fecal) then I would personally recommend the Reptaid.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sorry, my vet (and many websites) refer to Coccidia as a "microscopic protozoal parasite".
protozoan oocysts and parasites are treated differently. It's the difference in cellular makeup.

But i do agree with the fecal first.

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ladyknite said:
protozoan oocysts and parasites are treated differently. It's the difference in cellular makeup.

But i do agree with the fecal first.

Good to know. I'm always learning something new with these little guys :D

Latest posts