• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Parasites?

Jackie_esposito

Bearded Dragon Egg
Okay so my little squirrel (my beardies name) is not digesting her worms very well and her poop is watery. However she has no problem eating. When we went to the vet she was prescribed Ablon but the vet said her poop didn't have any parasite but gave the albon anyways "just in case"? I have two questions: What else could be wrong with my little baby? and How did everyone else give there beardie the albon? (And yes I also have probiotics to give with the Albon.)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Their digestive systems are sensitive I wouldn't give them medicine "just in case" they have something. Either the vet found parasites or they didn't. That's kinda careless of the vet. Was it an exotic vet?

How old is your beardie and what is your basking temp?

Jackie_esposito

Bearded Dragon Egg
Where I live there is only one vet and he's just a normal vet not exotic. My beardie is 6-7 months old and her basking temp is 90 which i believe is normal. Right now because i thought she had parasites she's just in a cage with a water dish. I took everything out and soaked it.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
90 is low. Needs to be between 105-110 in the basking. They need the heat to digest their food. If there was no parasites found I would bump up the basking temp.

I had this problem with one of mine recently. He pooped out parts of super worms. I upped his temp and the next poop was fine.

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Totally agree, its not good to give them antibiotics without cause. It can mess with their gut flora and cause issues that are easily avoided. There are times where I wouldnt recommend antibiotics even if there are some parasites. I would agree with Patsy in saying that when you raise your basking temperature, the problem will likely be resolved.

Latest posts