• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Parasite Transfer From Mice to Dragon, Fact or Fiction?

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
On one of the forums I go on I see this sort of post pop up often and I always wondered if it were true or not. I think I remember reading somewhere this was false or to some extent false but I could be wrong. Usually when someone mentions feeding mice of a certain age/size to a dragon, the immediate response is "No they can carry parasites that get passed onto your dragon". Now this just seems a bit far fetched to me. Granted crickets are known for doing so with pinworms but I can't see a pinky mouse or any sized mouse posing more of a threat than a bunch of crickets. How true is the statement? I understand them being high in fat and all but the parasite comment has me boggled.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
As for transferring parasites, any live prey COULD pass them along. Pinkies shouldn't be fed because they are much too big for beardies, and digestion could be a problem. They are also too high in fat

pscaulkins

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Parasite or bacteria transfers to beardies does happen. Let's see if my memory serves me correct but about 5-6 years ago silkworms as feeders was a rage. A friend and myself started a side business selling silkies. There is only one importer of silkworm eggs and that is MF. Anyone that sells them now or then bought from the same place. MF changed suppliers and brought the graissere virus to the US. People didn't really know anything about it. Some people kept feeding the worms to their babies and adults. There was a mass amount of people losing baby to juvi beardies across the US. The virus does not affect dragons but when a silkie has it and is used as a feeder they transfer bacteria to beardies. The sad thing about this is you don't always know if the silkies are healthy. Just because they look and act healthy doesn't mean they are. I had a few silkies cultured because my vet found information on them that they can carry bad bacteria without dying. We quit selling them. I no longer use silkies as feeders for my dragons nor do I recommend them. I feel the risks is higher then the benefits.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I figured they could pass down some parasites but not worse than crickets do but not to the extent some people make it seem. In all honesty I don't think pinkies are too large for a beardie, too fattening? maybe. Also a pinky mouse once in a blue moon I don't see being too bad but this is only my opinion on the matter. I know most may disagree.

I have used silkworms with success unlike crickets. They have been nothing but problems no matter which supplier I use.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
do mice carry parasites? yes they do.
do pinkie mice carry parasites? that would be dependant on age. A newborn, like most mammalian babies have little immunities. they obtain those immunities from mothers milk. They're not born with parasites typically, if they are, they usually are killed by the mother or other mice. Fuzzy mice can carry parasites, and most of those are the result of cages riddled with feces and urine. Hopper mice beginning to eat food readily available are the ones that typically contract if any do.
But one thing to remember is this........a parasite infection in your mouse, looks much worse than one in your dragon. They're alot smaller. You can see it a mile away (if you can see the mouse lol)
they are a bit high in fat, but the test results might surprise you:
* Pinky:12% crude protein, 4.72% crude fat, 0.2% crude fiber, 80% moisture
* Fuzzy:14% crude protein, 14% crude fat, 0.2% crude fiber, 69% moisture
* Hopper:17% crude protein, 8% crude fat, 0.4% crude fiber, 71% moisture
* Adult:17% crude protein, 7% crude fat, 0.3% crude fiber, 70% moisture

vs. Adult superworm
19% crude protein, 14.19% crude fat, 6.8% crude fiber, 62% moisture

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks a lot Gina. Now that I see the test results on the mice of various ages compared to a superworm that just proved a bunch of other things I was thinking too. You killed to birds with 1 stone for me haha.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
One of the points I always brought up when people made the comments about the parasites being transferred to your dragon where "don't most crickets also?" and "how do snakes and other reptiles that eat mammals not get as heavily infested as most suggest would happen to a beardie?"

I am in no way saying I will feed an adult mouse to my dragon but a small pinky or hopper once in a blue moon, I just may.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
well, snakes have a much different digestive system. their internal structure is designed to crush bones within mice and rats. I saw a 15 foot python expell waste from where it consumed a kidd (baby goat) and there was not one single bone left in tact or even visable. Dragons don't have that type of crushing constriction, so i wouldn't recommend anything very old or large.

Crickets are a huge contaminant for pinworms. I got challenged by some friends a few years ago to take crix and place about 50 in a "keeper", feed and water them till they die. And to run a control of the same set up. I was to leave the dead crix in place for 4 days. MY OCD really kicked in here.

3 days after the crix died, i noticed something moving where the sponge had been they drank from. Scope slide proved it was pins. God i was so grossed out.

Raising snakes, i keep alot of mice and rats. I do research on EVERYTHING. Alot of the time, I'm really amazed at what i find.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Due to all you wise people, I never started in the first place.. lol.. Roaches AHOY!

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I personally have never seen anything wrong with feeding vertebrates to dragons (provided not as a staple). In fact I practise this in summer, 1 pink rat a month.

Gina you are going to love that article when your Reptiles Australia magazine get's delivered ;).

Latest posts