• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Panacur question

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My vet said it is a good idea to give them a single dose once a year as a preventive and give 3 times for a positive fecal. I agree with the 3 times for a positive fecal.

What are your thought on giving once a year as a preventative maintenance?

Boogiesmom

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I personaly would not give medication unless it was needed. My vets have never suggested anything like it.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sandra,

I read somewhere on a post here on the forum about something (not sure if it was panacur) being given as a preventative every few months... Maybe one of the others here can remember what it was. ??? Or maybe if it was indeed Panacur ::)

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Seriously, this is one of those choices that keepers and breeders make... some will deworm at certain periods throughout the year, others wait for a diagnosis...
I personally have only dosed after a diagnosis...But that was my choice.. Weigh out the benefits, and cons of the question... then go with what you feel is best.
Hope this helps.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
staylor said:
My vet said it is a good idea to give them a single dose once a year as a preventive and give 3 times for a positive fecal. I agree with the 3 times for a positive fecal.

What are your thought on giving once a year as a preventative maintenance?

Personally, I run my own fecals. I will treat my entire colony if something shows that is easy to spread. But for me, that's common sense.
How many times you give a dose of panacur depends on the parasite you're treating and it's life cycle span. Most simple parasites have a 28-30 day life cycle. Panacur doesn't kill eggs. Eggs still hatch. There are a few juveniles or adults that may survive the treatment on the first round. If you fail to complete the full life cycle, your problem will still exist to show back up again in several months.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks for the feed back. I will take all this into consideration. The vet explained it to me like, lizards are kind of like horses. You deworm them but then they go right back to where the worms live. Even with a full bleach/bake to sanitize you may miss a couple of eggs. Once they get them they are more likely to get them again since the eggs are so tiny.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You told me that stuff is great. I have not had a chance to order it yet. Chris was without a job for a couple of weeks so we have to play catch up

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just checked the price $24.00 No shipping cost though. This stuff really is great. The jar will last a long time. It is worth every penny. Tell Val, Lisa (li) sent you.

Latest posts