• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Overeating?

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Is it possible for a bearded dragon to overeat? I had not given mine live food for almost a week. I was unable to get them any for that time. I did have some freeze dried crickets, but they don't really like them much (I know BDs love the hunt). Today, they each had 20+ 3/4" or so crickets, and 10 or so mealworms. I know, I know, mealworms are bad. Before you flame me, know this...they LOVE them, so I give them as a treat. Anyway, after feeding them so much, they were both acting like they were still hungry. They are 10 1/4" and 9 3/4". I feel both are slightly undersized for their age, but they'll get there. I guess what I'm wondering is; should I feed them more, or were they just gorging because they didn't kill anything for that long?

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I would personally start up the 10-15 minute rule again tomorrow. Wouldn't want to gorge themselves into a stupor just because they think they've been deprived of wriggling food for a bit. Mealworms have not been proven to be bad. They're just not great as a staple. Before you worry about it too much, look into this:

Mealie 'Basher' Challenge

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Again, manzeez, please refer to the mealie basher challenge link above.

manzeez

Hatchling Dragon
hi Aleena its good morrning from northern ireland i'm new to this i have only got spike a year he go's for his winter sleep around june and comes to life the start of september i know its r summer but the girl i got him from told me and it happend this year aswell but it freeks me out any advice

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
It can and does happen. Where they're from the winter cycle is a bit different. My mom visited Australia in the summer and it was freezing the whole time she was there. Your BD could simply be still hardwired with it's old brumation cycle a few generations removed.

Latest posts