• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Over weight?

Soph

Hatchling Dragon
Hey, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to Bearded Dragons, I have a male and female who are around 18months old. The male is 19 inches and 520g and the female is 16inches and 415g I'm just wondering if they're overweight or if what they weigh is fine...

Also how many insects should they eat a week, I've seen a lot of mixed answers online. I've been feeding ours 5-8 insects per day (usually 8 if they're smaller).

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
Category "Bearded dragon diet"...Posting 'Nutritional information etc.". ..Page 2 GERM has an excellent response relating to your question
There are also links to additional info. Welcome to the forum! :)

Soph

Hatchling Dragon
Just wondering still how many insects roughly should be fed weekly? A few sites I looked at said an adult should get 30-50. Is this right?

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
Keep in mind too that adult dragons usually adhere to a 80/20 diet. 80% greens and 20% protein (insects). When you ask how many insects its kinda hard to answer. What kind? Crickets? Roaches? Worms? There's a big difference in size between an adult dubia roach and a mealworm, for instance. And also certain worms should only be given as treats, and therefore you'd give less of them per week (like mealworms or wax worms). General rule is to feed your dragon as much as they will eat in about 15 minutes. But if you adhere to the 80/20 rule, you'd only be feeding them insects once a day or every other day and the other feedings you'd give greens. Variety is also important in their diet. It's fine to have a "main" protein source and a few "main" greens sources, but give other sources too so your sure their getting good nutrition. Besides, these "treat" items maybe taste better to them and they'll be oh so happy to get them (occasionally) :) Don't know how helpful this was...sorry too because maybe I'm rambling a bit lol.

Soph

Hatchling Dragon
Thanks :) you weren't rambling lol. At the minute they eat mainly Morio worms and they get medium Dubia roaches every now and then (the only pet shop near me that sells Dubia's can't get them very often so I can't feed them these as much as I'd like), I tried them with crickets when we first got them but neither of them would eat them. With veg/greens they get a pretty wide variety.

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
Silkworms..Phoenix worms..butterworms... try these? Also I've never heard of morio worms but from what I'm seeing they're similar to superworms? Would prolly be advisable to remove their heads before feeding to the dragons. The heads/mouths/ jaws can keep moving even after swallowed and may cause harm :)

Soph

Hatchling Dragon
Morio worms and superworms are the same, just a different name for them. Thanks for the tip though with the head, will do that in future. I can't find anywhere in the UK so far that sells Silkworms. I think I might be able to get Butterworms online, but I've heard they should only be given as a treat like wax worms? I'll order some Phoenix worms tomorrow though as my frogs like them too.

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
I think (and I may be corrected by someone here who knows more than me) that butterworms can be given a bit more frequently than wax worms. Sometimes, as you've already pointed out tho, it depends on what they'll eat, and what you can get FOR them to eat. Sometimes we are a bit limited by whats "in stock" or available lol. I wish mine would eat more greens!!! But he's a little butthead and turns his nose up at just about everything :)

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
Way of preparing acorn squash by slicing thin and cooking was posted in one of these threads....gonna be trying that asap.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Also I've never heard of morio worms but from what I'm seeing they're similar to superworms? Would prolly be advisable to remove their heads before feeding to the dragons. The heads/mouths/ jaws can keep moving even after swallowed and may cause harm :)
Morio worms and superworms are the same, just a different name for them. Thanks for the tip though with the head, will do that in future.
Having to remove the heads of Supers is an 'Old Wive's Tale' . Has no foundation in truth & does not need to be done. Have been periodically feeding supers for 12 years, pretty much the only type of worm my BDs have ever gotten, have never had issues, have never seen anyone else have issues & have never read anything remotely close to being documented that would substantiate the need to do this.

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
Having to remove the heads of Supers is an 'Old Wive's Tale' . Has no foundation in truth & does not need to be done. Have been periodically feeding supers for 12 years, pretty much the only type of worm my BDs have ever gotten, have never had issues, have never seen anyone else have issues & have never read anything remotely close to being documented that would substantiate the need to do this.
My vet told me to do it and why...I guess I just believed her...I've been doing this gross task all along and I didn't have to!? Well what the heck...Banyon liked them more before I started doin it because they moved more (without their heads cut off obviously they'd move more and longer lol) Well I guess I'm passing on wrong info but like I said before I'm no expert and this just proves it:)

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to Bearded Dragons, I have a male and female who are around 18months old. The male is 19 inches and 520g and the female is 16inches and 415g I'm just wondering if they're overweight or if what they weigh is fine...

Also how many insects should they eat a week, I've seen a lot of mixed answers online. I've been feeding ours 5-8 insects per day (usually 8 if they're smaller).
Check out the section "Too Little? Too Much? - Food" here: http://www.beardeddragonforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=7

If you are housing them together, you may find this some interesting reading & hopefully have a change of heart.
Is Bearded Dragon Cohabitation A Good Plan?

Soph

Hatchling Dragon
Check out the section "Too Little? Too Much? - Food" here: http://www.beardeddragonforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=7

If you are housing them together, you may find this some interesting reading & hopefully have a change of heart.
Is Bearded Dragon Cohabitation A Good Plan?

Thanks for the link, found it really helpful

They're not kept together, we bought them off a guy who wanted rid quickly and they'd been kept together but we separated them shortly after we got them.

Soph

Hatchling Dragon
I've weighed them again and Norbert (19inch male) is now 566g and Saphira (16inch female) is now 442g.

We've cut the morioworms down from 5 a day to 3 a day. Do you think the reason they're putting on so much weight is because it's winter and they're not exercising as much?

I was wondering if I should cut bugs out of their diet altogether for now? or do you think they'll lose weight once the weather is warmer and they start exercising more?

Latest posts