• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Over hydrating?

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
I recently bought a new bathing tub for Reggie, mainly because he wouldn't fit in the old one anymore. :D

It was also only like $1.97 at Walmart so I figured what the heck, right? Well long story short, he loved his bath. So much, in fact, he dropped a deuce in there for the first time (haha, he looked just as surprised as I did). I took him out, washed it out, and gave him another quick rinse to make sure he didn't have any boo-boo on him.

Well the last two days he's been a little sluggish. Not eating as much, but going through a very small shed so I wasn't real concerned at first. But I took a break from work and went home real quick and noticed he was still lax, so I gave him a few spritzes of water. He kept lapping it up like crazy. I also noticed his poop seemed a little watery. Have any of you experienced this before?

Normally I wouldn't be concerned because I am used to odd behaviors during a shed, but he was really lapping up all the water I was giving him for at least ten minutes, which is unusual in and of itself. Advice?

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, A dehydrated dragon or an ill dragon have the possibility of over drinking and aspirating. A normal dragon you dont have any worries as they will stop when they are due. The liquid you are seeing is urine and is simply from him getting a good water session in. Kinda like us and drinking a couple 32 oz waters. The urate is simply biproducts also composed of urine from the kidneys.

I would not worry to much but would keep an eye out for him basking excessively, gaping or head pointed into the air. Once they are to this point you will hear crackling or popping while breathing..

Latest posts