• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Outside Habitat

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I have been stewing since last summer about what would be the best enclosure for Mike to build for my guys since I had Rainbow out on the deck in a cleaned up rat cage last summer. He loves it outside and was happily sunning himself while I watched just a few feet away!! A firefly flew in and sat just inches from his head. I will tell you this fat butt can move when I want it to and was over there in a flash. That ended any outdoor time unless they were sitting on my chest or right next to me!!

I finally have a plan that I think will be firefly proof. I'm going to have him build me a 3 sided box with a floor. No top. It will have to be at least 6' long with a board in the middle to separate it into 2 separate compartments. Then I'll buy some of that nylon screening (used for window screen) and sew Velcro down the sides and bottom and staple the other side of the Velcro onto the wood. Then I'll staple the screening on top of the box and cover the area I stapled it down with another board.(hopefully make it inconvenient for bugs to crawl into the enclosure. I'll do that for both sides of the box so each compartment will have it's own separate screen. I don't think it needs to be any more than 2' high. Have not decided what to use for flooring. I only know that tile will get too hot. But I want something that will hold up outside and not need to be replaced every other week. I have not come up with a good plan for shade yet either. Anybody have any suggestions or see any flaws in my plan? The reason I only went with 2 compartments was i think a 9 footer might be way too long!! Mike will need to build me a nice sturdy table to hold this as well!! I'll be doing a whole lot of flirting and eyelash batting. But I know he'll do it for me!!! : )

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You could make like a pull out drawer... with screening as the base. this way, his poo will fall down into that drawer.. and you can just pull it out, rinse and pop back in...
Janie

pscaulkins

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Make sure the top is strong in case a hawk or prediator bird decides your beardies look tasty. I used to use a playpen for ours when I was outside working but after the red tailed hawk swooped and got this yellow finch only a few feet from Phil, he won't let put them in it while I work. One time I was working and had Semi on a leash that I tied to a garden hose (I know that was stupid) Semi took off and about skinned his back raw because he went under our bbq and I could not get him out.

Your habitat sounds nice. Ummmmm, will Mike build me one and ship it to me?

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
HHHHHMMMM!!!! Just might work for you Sandy!!! He does like you and we do look sorta, kinda alike!!! Might be worth a try batting those eyes and looking as cute as you can be.....

I like the idea of the poop falling through the bottom but think the wiring would have to be too large to be effective and may be too hard on their feet!!! Plus I'd have to really scrub that to keep it clean unless I let the rain do it!! LOL!!! Something to remember in the future for other critters though!!

That's a good idea about the reinforcing the screening Sandy!!! We do have hawks and they sit right in the pine tree in my next door neighbors yard. What a mess they make of the poor doves that hang around here. So very sad!!! I might could put tabs with heavy duty snaps every 6" or so along the sides and bottom just for extra strength and reassurance for me!!!

Thanks for the input guys!! : )

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Permission to crash this thread pls . . . . :-\

This is a pic of an old bunny cage I made, Bunnies have been upgraded to a deluxe suite LOL

Will it work for outside enclosure, a few hours of natural sunlight will be GR8 I thinx...

Its 2m x 90cm x 60cm with a corrugated iron roof and chicken mesh sides and bottom.

SNC00493.jpg

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hey Monique!!! That looks great!!! Would you leave it on the brick? My concern was that the brick might get too hot. But on the grass might work great!! Also make sure there is NO way they could slip under!! I am such a worry wart and have a great imagination when it comes to.."what if's" The problem I have here is firefly's. Yosh loves to catch his own food and I really have to watch him because he will eat ANYTHING that is crawling around outside. That's why I need a tiny screen on mine. I forget where you're at. Are they a problem for you?

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi Vesta,

Dont worry, I'm a worry wart TOOOO !!

The cage is enclosed on the bottom and all 4 sides with the chicken mesh, so cant slip under.
Am planning to move it to the lawn next to my front porch, as it is the area that gets the most sun throughout the day.

The lid does bother me some, the corrugated Iron will provide shade and the chicken mesh ventilation, BUT . . . the bumps in the corrugation, I'm worried Pogie will climb to the top and get out there. :-\

And no not really a problem with fireflies, come to think of it, havent seen one in about 2 years.... ::)
I live in Rayton, South Africa

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Sorry about that...I see the screen now!! ;) And if you put it on the grass. The grass will poke through and give him/her a nice soft place to lay!! How nice!! I don't know....Do you think they will climb the screening? I guess it is possible. But I don't see gaps big enough for them to slip through unless they are there when the top is fully down. I'd try to figure something out if you are still worried. Maybe some foam weather stripping on top to fill in the gaps.( I just looked a little closer and saw what you mean)

Every year it's different here in Pennsy. Some years we have a bumper crop and others not so many!!! I use to think how beautiful they were flashing over an open field but now when I see that I think of how dangerous they are to my guys and how close I have come twice to losing my beardie to one of them. I gather dandelions from my yard to feed my guys because I do not use weed killers of any kind in my yard now. ;) (the things we are willing to give up for our beardies) I found a huge one behind a tree and took it in and washed it up good. Chopped it into little tiny pieces and stuck it in with Yosh. Hours later I came in to find his salad scattered and laying right out in the open was a decapitated firefly!! I had missed it somehow. Even with all my prep work. God watches out for me and my Beardies!!!

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

I wouldve freaked..... Glad it turned out OK though

Will definately try the expanda foam . . keep forgetting I have the stuff LOL

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Monique....was just thinking about that top!! It will defeat your purpose of allowing your Beardie the UV you want him to have. DUH ME!!!! ::) Can you come up with another top?

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
000201DD.gif

Thought the sun would shine through the sides as the place I'm gonna put it gets a few hours morning sun at an angle and then again in the afternoon , sun from about 13H00 till 18H00 at another angle. The cage will thus be in full sun from about 09H00 till 18H00 at different angles, and 3 sides of the cage will get this sun at different times of the day.

Will put it there tomorrow or so and take pics during the day and see where the sun falls...

If it doesnt work, will have to replace the top with screen or mesh....

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
HEE HEE!!!! Like the Thinker!!! I wondered if there would be enough sun coming in the sides.....

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well if I judge by the sun coming in my living room windows.... It should

But will try the PIC thing in the next few days . . . Then we'll know for sure

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh this is sooo typical. I told Janie a day or two back that Murphy and me were siamese twins seperated at birth . . . LOL

Well this proves it, First when I built the background for the viv, the paint fumes were terrible, decided to put it outside in the sun to cure . . . It rained for 3 days...no sun.

Now I moved the cage to the spot I wanted it . . . Its been raining for the last 2 days, NO SUN

Why me????

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This is the cage at 10H23 in the morning
SNC00500.jpg

This at 12H24
SNC00501.jpg

Will take the afternoon shots tomorrow... But so far seems at least 1/2 the cage gets sun between 10H30 and 12H30

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What temps did you record at those time frames, both in the sun and in the shade? Kinda curious.
Janie

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well its autumn now . . so guessing it wont be that hot, Will measure tomorrow or saturday and get back to you.

In summer I'm guessing it will be much higher as it gets really really hot here

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What temps did you record at those time frames, both in the sun and in the shade? Kinda curious.
Janie

Sorry Janie, the thermometer I have doesnt wanna work out there. And I dont have a temp gun Toooo Expensive, the basic ones start off at R500-00.

But I finished the pics at 4 different times . . . So here goes.

9H30 AM, Guessing the temps are still lowish lets guess around 25C / 77F (Sun) and 20C / 68F (Shade) - AUTUMN TEMP
09h30.jpg

10H30 AM, Guessing the temps will be around 26C / 78F (Sun) and 22C / 71F (Shade) - AUTUMN TEMP
10h30.jpg

12H30 PM, Guessing the temps will be around 30C / 86F (Sun) and 25C / 77F (Shade) - AUTUMN TEMP
12h30.jpg

3H00 PM, Guessing the temps will be around 32 - 34C / 89 - 93 F (Sun) and 25C / 77F (Shade) - AUTUMN TEMP
15h00.jpg

In summer it gets a lot hotter than that, and the guessed temps are based on readings I get inside my house. I think the actual temp if you sit in that area will be a lot higher as it will be absorbed, making it feel hotter.

But Do you also think this spot is a good one for an outside habitat? As I am planning on making a miniature rock garden with safe plants inside and there will also be climbing stuff and hides. When all is in I wont be able to move the enclosure.

Latest posts